The details:
Wing Span: 58" (I rounded up)
Lenght: 58" (Same thing here)

Weight: TBD (box says 79.3 less batt)
Recommended Engine: Hacker A50-14S

Recommended EXC: X-70 by Hacker
Recommended Batt: Flight Power Evo 3300 - 3700 5s
Recommended Prop: 16x8 - 16x10
Servo's: 4 standard (I'm thinking 75-120 oz. torque)
Wing Area: 49 dm2 or aprox 760 sqr in.

What I will use:
TBD
TBD

My initial thoughts on this plane are 'wow'!! Another outstanding model from SebArt. The thought and quality that they put into these planes is simply amazing to me. This will be the third plane from SebArt that I've built now. All have been top shelf stuff. Another unique aspect of this model is that it was designed for E power. This is the first model of this size that I've seen designed for E power other than Gary Wright's E3D series models. Great planes in their own right also. Anyway, I've not see any in this size designed from the ground up for E power. That's not to say that there are not any, that's just to say that I've not seen any. I did get a chuckle when I read in the manual that there is an optional IC conversion kit. I've seen plenty of E power conversion kits, but this is the first time that I've seen it go the other way. To cool. Ok, build pictures to follow in a new post.

Hope you enjoy following along,
Bill K.
Bill K. is offline Find More Posts by Bill K.
Last edited by Bill K.; Apr 05, 2007 at 09:18 PM. Reason: changed the text and added the specs
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2007, 08:17 AM
ROV Pilot
Norway
Joined May 2002
473 Posts
Exelent... What motor are you going for? Hacker I hope... Servos?
jijohans is offline Find More Posts by jijohans
Old Apr 05, 2007, 08:33 AM
Husband, Dad, Skydiver, RC'r
United States, NC, Waynesville
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jijohans
Exelent... What motor are you going for? Hacker I hope... Servos?
I'm not sure yet. Once I get those items sourced and figured out, I'll post about them. I think that I'm going to test out some new stuff that Luigi at Fedon Aircraft is going to be selling. I'm hoping to have it all pulled together and flying by SEFF though.

BK
Old Apr 05, 2007, 09:16 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,308 Posts
Oh, nevermind. I didn't read carefully enough. I'll probably give one of these a try.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Apr 05, 2007, 10:19 AM
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
Oh, nevermind. I didn't read carefully enough. I'll probably give one of these a try.
Hey Doc, I updated the first post with a link to Luigi's site. In any case here it is again though.

http://www.fedonaircraft.net/album1_004.htm

That will get you directly to the product page for it. I'll be going back and updating the first post later this evening with a bunch more pictures and the full info and stat's on this plane. My first impressions of the quality though are that it's outstanding. As good or better than it's 30 size counter part.

BK
Old Apr 05, 2007, 11:58 AM
89" Kool Aid drinker.
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Dec 2001
3,133 Posts
So, you did it Bill... I will be watching and waiting for more specs and a flight report... This weekend, right?

Mike
Smash McCrash is online now Find More Posts by Smash McCrash
Old Apr 05, 2007, 03:10 PM
Pontificating Member
Atlanta
Joined May 2003
4,297 Posts
very cool Bill!
Looking forward to your posts on this model..
tone is offline Find More Posts by tone
Old Apr 05, 2007, 05:38 PM
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash McCrash
So, you did it Bill... I will be watching and waiting for more specs and a flight report... This weekend, right?

Mike
LOL, not quiet, but it should not be too long. I have to keep reminding myself to slow down and take pictures. This one could go together almost as fast as the K30 did. I'm still getting all the gear together so it will take me a little longer, but I'll get there soon. I do hope and plan to have it together by SEFF for sure though.
Old Apr 05, 2007, 05:39 PM
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tone
very cool Bill!
Looking forward to your posts on this model..
Thanks Tony, and this time, lets work on you getting some video of it. I'll even let you play with my new cammera on it.
Old Apr 05, 2007, 07:49 PM
Just south of Cambridge, UK
Joined Oct 2003
982 Posts
looks great bill! I'm looking into this plane for my 5s 5000 packs (which i use as 10s), for every day flying. do you think the 5000mAh Flightpower EVO cells would be too much?

Ian
edible_engine is offline Find More Posts by edible_engine
Old Apr 05, 2007, 08:41 PM
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edible_engine
looks great bill! I'm looking into this plane for my 5s 5000 packs (which i use as 10s), for every day flying. do you think the 5000mAh Flightpower EVO cells would be too much?

Ian
Ian,

While I don't actually have it together yet, and SebArt calls for the 3300's to 3700's, I actually think the 5000's would be fine. It's a tad more weight, but I doubt this plane will care. My 30E did not mind a few oz extra, so I'm pretty sure that the difference will more than be made up for by the increased duration you'll get.

What motor setup would you run?

BK

PS. I'm getting ready to post a bunch more pictures... this thing is NICE!!!
Old Apr 05, 2007, 09:54 PM
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
Let the build begin...

Ok here goes. I start most all of my builds of balsa built up ARF's by ispecting all the bits and getting weights of each. I also like to take pictures AND post them. My reasons for posting the pictures is so that I can refer back to them in the future as well. It also is helpful for others to see, I think?
Old Apr 06, 2007, 07:07 AM
Just south of Cambridge, UK
Joined Oct 2003
982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K.
Ian,

While I don't actually have it together yet, and SebArt calls for the 3300's to 3700's, I actually think the 5000's would be fine. It's a tad more weight, but I doubt this plane will care. My 30E did not mind a few oz extra, so I'm pretty sure that the difference will more than be made up for by the increased duration you'll get.

What motor setup would you run?

BK

PS. I'm getting ready to post a bunch more pictures... this thing is NICE!!!
I would probably run the A50-S like they recommend. I would have thought 6s would be better for a 50 size plane, like the Inspire uses, but if 5s is good enough, im pretty thankful, i have 2 5s packs i would like to use in smaller planes, as well as putting them in series for my larger stuff.

If it does need 6s, ill just have to buy some t-rex packs, and a trex 600 to go with it, woo!
edible_engine is offline Find More Posts by edible_engine
Old Apr 07, 2007, 10:06 PM
Joined Dec 2006
13 Posts
Awesome plane

I test flew my katana 50 today and am amazed.
if flies better than some of my gas planes, and is great for practicing precise manuvers and for everyones favorite freestyle.

here are a few pictures from flight 1

It was a windy day and it didnt seem to affect the plane one bit

the katana 30 and 50 are about the same, but bigger planes really do fly better because i own both planes and somehow the 50 flies much smoother.
mikaelmiki is offline Find More Posts by mikaelmiki
Old Apr 08, 2007, 12:00 AM
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
Sweet pic's Mikey!!! You got skillz I gotta say. I can't wait to see you letting it rip in person. Can't wait to get mine together that much more now.

What setup did you end up going with? Motor, battery, etc?

BK