Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 19, 2008, 10:00 PM
Electron Abuser
Akron, Ohio
Joined Aug 2006
934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdahlhaus
I'll have to measure it. Just rewound with 20 turns of 26 gauge. Will have to wait until tomorrow to try it out.
20 turns sounds more like it but still a little high. 21 is the most number of turns that i have ever seen in a motor, and that was on a 10 gram from lazertoys. most my lower kv motors depending on size, are 6-15 turn wye, usually with 24 awg
MTXMUGEN is online now Find More Posts by MTXMUGEN
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2008, 06:42 AM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,510 Posts
Thanks. 20 turns of 26 wasn't much better. I'll give it a go with 24 awg, maybe 10-12 turns.
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Jun 20, 2008, 02:50 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,343 Posts
Less turns = higher speed = higher Amp draw. For a motor this small you are going to need a gearbox if you want to spin a 9" prop efficiently.

You want more turns to spin a bigger prop. However, If the iron is getting hot, you are likely pushing the motor into saturation, which I would expect from such a small motor and big prop. You might need to go to a smaller propeller or put on a gear box. Small motors are very inefficient where torque is needed.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2008, 03:33 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,510 Posts
Thanks Alex - I was beginning to suspect the need for a gearbox.
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Feb 09, 2009, 07:31 AM
Joined Jun 2007
153 Posts
Hi!
I recently saw ur thread abt making or rewinding brushless motor. I got a brushless but it becomes too hot. 2800kv running with my trex450 heli ESC. The heli motor is stock Align430 size. That motor is my spare motor. Could u pl tell me how to rewind this motor? Someone said there might be short in the coil. What u say. Anyway it was like this since I bough it.
congcon97 is offline Find More Posts by congcon97
Old Feb 09, 2009, 07:48 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,343 Posts
First test the motor for a short. To do this use a ohmmeter (or multi-tester) and check for continuity from any motor lead to the motor shaft. If there is continuity, you have a short and the motor needs to be rebuilt.

In any case, the wind on that motor is ABCABCABC, just as the motor I rebuilt in this thread. Count the number of turns as you unwind it. If you want to change the motor's kV the formula is:

old kV/desirded kv * old #turns = new # turns.

That motor rewinds well with 24 AWG wire.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2009, 11:22 AM
Electron Abuser
Akron, Ohio
Joined Aug 2006
934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by congcon97
Hi!
I recently saw ur thread abt making or rewinding brushless motor. I got a brushless but it becomes too hot. 2800kv running with my trex450 heli ESC. The heli motor is stock Align430 size. That motor is my spare motor. Could u pl tell me how to rewind this motor? Someone said there might be short in the coil. What u say. Anyway it was like this since I bough it.
those motors are tricly to get apart. you have to lightly heat the back of the motor wth a torch to deactivate the glue. after it gets ~220*f try unscrewing it wth pliers in the 2 little holes. the stator should come out with the bearing tobe right after you get the back off the motor. if it doesnt come out easily just heat it up a little bit more and twist the backplate back and forth.

putting a old screw in the front of the motor and puting the screw and shaft in a vise is the best way to hold the can from spinning. one you get to removing the stator from the backplate, simply put the sator in the vise. be sure to put a couple pieces of wood on either side of the stator to prevent damage
MTXMUGEN is online now Find More Posts by MTXMUGEN
Old Feb 09, 2009, 08:22 PM
Remember the 131st TFW MO ANG
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined May 2005
988 Posts
FYI Episode #79 of the ATTF podcast had a good description of the differences between WYE and Delta motor winds...
NanoSio2 is offline Find More Posts by NanoSio2
Old Feb 10, 2009, 07:27 AM
Joined Jun 2007
153 Posts
This is what I got from the motor. I'm sorry I was not able to unwind the stator as a result I had to destroy it. But the can, rotor magnet, bearings, bottom cover is still ok.
That coil was too messy to unwind actually. That's why maybe it used to get extremely hot. Now I need to purchase the stator(that broken part in pic) to rebuild this motor. This motor had 16 peice of extremly powerful magnets inside the rotor.
Now asking u, is this motor can be rewind? Can I buy this stator? This is a 400LF Align motor. Rewinding is a great knowledge and fun I believe .
Last edited by congcon97; Feb 10, 2009 at 07:34 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 07:48 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,343 Posts
I forgot to mention that many motors are varnished or epoxy dipped to keep the wires in tight. This makes them a pain to unwind. The best way to unwind them is to put the stator in the oven at 200-250 degress for 10 minutes. This loosens the varnish so the motor may be unwound. Unfortunately, you'll need to wear gloves, which makes it hard too since the unwinding must be done while the motor is hot. Do not put the rotor in or the magnets will be damaged.

As for that motor, good luck finding another 6 pole stator. You might need to get a 9 pole to replace it. The original appears to be a 6N8P. The magnets in the can are arranged in either a Halbach array, or a double pole pair. In the case of a double pole pair, you have 16 usable magnets. If they are a Halbach array (which would be my guess) you only have 8 usable poles since 8 of the magnets are magnetized through the side rather than the top.

What you'll need to do is measure diameter and length of your old stator and the check around to see if someone carries a stator that will fit. Perhaps GoBrushless 20mm 9 pole stators would fit? The pattern for a 9 pole stator with 9 magnets is: AaABbBCcC. Always terminate this as a WYE or it will vibrate badly.

Good luck,

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2009, 08:20 AM
Joined Jun 2007
153 Posts
Alex,
That's what happend. I tryed to unwind but I was stripping the wires. I couldn't even imagine that is due to glueing over the coil. Then insistly I broke it down.
However, what is gone that's gone. Now why not looking for 6 poles stator. 9 poles might need reformation/rearrangement of the rotor magnets.
The other thing to mention I'm brand new in BL motor. I don't got any preknowledge abt AaABbBCcC. I'm a grade 1 student in BL motor tutorial .
Old Feb 10, 2009, 08:33 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,343 Posts
And I just got done with explaining orientation and a Halbach array and Delta/Wye terminations which is college level physics!

6 pole stators are rare. They are very hard to come by. However, 9 pole stators can be found all over the place. They are very common. I suggest changing to a 9 pole simply for parts availability.

With the 9 pole stator, you can keep your current rotor and magnets. You must change your winding pattern to AaABbBCcC. The capital letters are wound clockwise and the lower case letters are counter clockwise. Basically you wind the first pole forward, the one beside it reverse, then the next forward again (and that completes A phase). The you get another wire and do it again on the next 3 poles (B phase) and a thrid wire on the last 3 poles (C Phase). The 3 ending wire leads get soldered together, and the three beginning leads get connected to your ESC.

You might want to do some reading here too: http://www.rcgroups.com/electric-mot...struction-361/ There is a lot of information there.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2009, 09:58 AM
Joined Jun 2007
153 Posts
Alex,
Just wish to how was ur feeling when ur very fast rewinding motor started turning? I guess u didn't start from the expensive kits or prebuilt one.
I will start from the cheapest one.....once I see I can make it turn I will be able to be a harcore motor guy I got that confidence.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 09:49 AM
Joined Jun 2007
153 Posts
In the picture, is it the right config of the 9 pole,16 magnets motor ? It looks easy but is there any English translator of this pic? Waiting for ur reply.
Last edited by congcon97; Feb 17, 2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 09:01 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by congcon97
Alex,
Just wish to how was ur feeling when ur very fast rewinding motor started turning? I guess u didn't start from the expensive kits or prebuilt one.
I will start from the cheapest one.....once I see I can make it turn I will be able to be a harcore motor guy I got that confidence.
My first motor was a BP-21 given to me by critterhunter. Yes it was an incredible feeling when it first ran... then I proceeded to burn it up If anyone wants to learn the basics of rewinding, get a BP-21 (BM2408-21T). They're cheap and simple to rebuild. At $6 new, how can you go wrong?
RCG Plus Member