HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2007, 09:17 PM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
Hi PhantomFlight, Welcome to the RC Groups I'm sure Steve will make a construction guide, it just may take a little while yet. Usually when the kits are ready for sale from 6mmflyrc, they usually have a construction guide ready.
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2007, 11:01 AM
I've half a mind...
New Delhi, India
Joined Jul 2005
2,600 Posts
Hiya Steve, any progress on your paint job?

I've tried to source silicon wire here without much luck. I've ordered a %$#&load from this site: http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/mai...0030&pgid=wire

Once it gets here, I'll redo the wiring extensions on my Mig-21 and the Su-37. Then I hope to get the juice I'm sure is in there somewhere . And then I'll paint my Flanker.

Doc
docrob is offline Find More Posts by docrob
Old Apr 18, 2007, 07:54 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrob
Hiya Steve, any progress on your paint job?

I've tried to source silicon wire here without much luck. I've ordered a %$#&load from this site: http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/mai...0030&pgid=wire

Once it gets here, I'll redo the wiring extensions on my Mig-21 and the Su-37. Then I hope to get the juice I'm sure is in there somewhere . And then I'll paint my Flanker.

Doc
Yeah, and when your wire gets there, you can pull all that out of your planes and hook up your stereo again!

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Apr 18, 2007, 08:15 PM
I fly therefore I crash
Torrance, CA
Joined Sep 2006
919 Posts
Almost done. I have a little brushwork left to do and its done. Yes i have straid a little from the plan. This is the have 2 young children and no money version! I am going to try to maiden tomorrow. I have thrown it a couple of times and it seems to have a F-15 like glide

Fletch
fletchace is offline Find More Posts by fletchace
Old Apr 18, 2007, 08:23 PM
Joined Oct 2006
84 Posts
2 questions:

1. When you guys talk about throwning your planes to see the glide, do you literally just toss it and hope it doesnt land nose first? I understand the concept, but it just seems dangerous to me.

2. Is there anywhere that sells acrylic paint in like 5-10 oz size bottles? these tiny little 1/2 to 3/4 oz bottles go through the airbrush like nothing.

THANKS in ADVANCE!!!
boa279 is offline Find More Posts by boa279
Old Apr 18, 2007, 08:45 PM
I fly therefore I crash
Torrance, CA
Joined Sep 2006
919 Posts
B,

I can't speak for anyone else but I don't throw any of my depron models. It's just my EPP planes can take it no problem so why delay gratification?

As for the paint question I will wait with you for a response and an economical solution.

Fletch
fletchace is offline Find More Posts by fletchace
Old Apr 18, 2007, 08:53 PM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
JMorgan stated in one of his Classic "How I finish my Planes, Part 1" and Part Duex threads, that he uses Wal-mart Acrylic house paint, in pint and quart cans, which is thinned out with windshield washer fluid. If you can get a good color-wheel chart, you can mix virtully any color you want.
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Old Apr 18, 2007, 09:13 PM
Joined Oct 2006
84 Posts
Rcparkflyer: Awsome! just checked it out and thats by fart the best solution. I will definatly give it a try. thanks
boa279 is offline Find More Posts by boa279
Old Apr 18, 2007, 11:15 PM
Crash test dummy
Alabama
Joined Dec 2005
267 Posts
Would it be possible to post 175% tiled plans of the SU-37 in ANSI E format for a plotter? (4 pages of 48" x 36") Or maybe even 200%!!!!!

Steve did this for his T38 Talon on the Parkjets.com website and it worked great for those of us who have plotters. It would be nice to have some other sizes of the SU-37 so we could build a larger jet. I have two 90mm fans that would work great. That would be a great project for a couple of months.
dhelms9138 is offline Find More Posts by dhelms9138
Old Apr 19, 2007, 12:33 PM
Callsign: CornDog
Milpitas, CA
Joined May 2003
5,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boa279
Rcparkflyer: Awsome! just checked it out and thats by fart the best solution. I will definatly give it a try. thanks
Man, thanks for the good laugh!!!
HawkLover is offline Find More Posts by HawkLover
Old Apr 20, 2007, 05:20 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2004
189 Posts
What a great looking model, I picked up some depron yesterday and printed the plans today

I never thought that depron models would be this good until I just built Jetset44s JAS Gripen. So far I have only flown the Gripen with an EDF unit, but my last flight ended up with all fan blades breaking due to a touch and go, so it will be converted into a pusher prop for now (until new fan arrives).

Anyways, the SU-37 is coming up next, I wonder if I will loose much manouverability if I omit the yaw mixing? I plan to install working rudders.

Currently I have a DX6 radio and it does not have enough mixes to set up all the functions needed, I guess this is a good excuse to buy a DX7

Helge
Helgeo is offline Find More Posts by Helgeo
Old Apr 21, 2007, 09:15 PM
GOK
Turkey, Izmir
Joined Aug 2005
1,302 Posts
Hi all,

Just want to start with my thanks to Steve for so generously sharing his fantastic work with us in these forums. Your models have brought a new breath to my RC hobby Steve.

Here is my story.

I'm planning on adding another parkjet to my fleet (F-15, Gripen and a retired T-38). I will either build the F-14 or the SU-37. I love both these planes so wouldn't really mind which ever one I build.

However, do to both budgetary restrictions (just finished a PhD, looking for a job) and a simple transmitter that I have (JR MAX 66), whicever one of these models I build, I want to build them in their most basic form.

So, If I decide on the F-14, I plan on going with a mid-swept fixed wing. If I build the SU-37, I want to build a 28" wingspan model with just tailerons and a fixed motor. I do however want to stick with the SU-37 rather than the SU-27 or the SU-30. I will most likely use a tiny himax 2015 or something similar on these models.

My question is to both Steve and to anyone else who has actually built the basic versions of either of these models.

Which one would perform better in its simplest state? And which one would be simpler to convert (build). Although I like WOT low passes here and there, I usually fly my jets at scale speed with some high alpha and mild aerobatics.

Cheers,

GOK
GOK is offline Find More Posts by GOK
Last edited by GOK; Apr 22, 2007 at 01:11 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 04:34 PM
Crash test dummy
Alabama
Joined Dec 2005
267 Posts
Can somebody please, please, please, please, please resize these plans to 175% tiled in ANSI E format for a plotter? (4 pages of 48" x 36"). I have been trying for days now to resize them with no luck. I don't have the full version of Adobe and I can't find anybody that does.

Somebody PLEASE resize them and either post them here or PM them to me.
dhelms9138 is offline Find More Posts by dhelms9138
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:12 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,614 Posts
Howdy all,
I just got back from a great week-long family vacation in Arizona and am glad to see this thread has been busy! Here are answers to all your questions:

dhelms - I'd be glad to generate the scaled plans for you. Look for a new post in a little while.

GOK - You're welcome for the plans! Glad to hear you've enjoyed them. I think either a fixed-wing F-14 or simple fixed-canard Su-37 would work well for you. Either would fly well on just tailerons and throttle, both would work great with a Himax 2015, and both would be roughly similar effort to build. So it's your choice! If you twisted my arm to make a recommendation, I'd say build the Su-37 first and save the F-14 for when you have the time and $ to build the variable sweep wing. That part just triples the cool factor of the Tomcat.

helgeo - Yes, you can certainly omit the yaw TV. It's fun to play with but you won't lose much manuervability without it. The pitch TV provides 90% of the benefit of TV. Yaw and roll are only of secondary importance.

fletchance - Looking good! Let us know how the maiden goes.

doc - Great pictures! I haven't touched my Suke now for over 2 weeks due to my vacation and all the last-minute stuff I had to do before, so no progress with painting. Hopefully I'll have time to get back to it this week.

henrique - I don't know the specs for that motor, but if it worked well in a 28" span F-18 it would also work well in a 28" span Su-37!

Phantomflight - I haven't yet made a construction guide for the Su-37, but I intend to in the near future. I'll post it as soon as it's done. In the meantime, you could look over the manuals for any of my other park jets and they should help guide you, since most of the construction methods are identical.

Steve
jetset44 is online now Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:19 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhelms9138
Can somebody please, please, please, please, please resize these plans to 175% tiled in ANSI E format for a plotter? (4 pages of 48" x 36"). I have been trying for days now to resize them with no luck. I don't have the full version of Adobe and I can't find anybody that does.

Somebody PLEASE resize them and either post them here or PM them to me.
Here you go. Unfortunately 175% plans are just a little too big to fit on 4 sheets of ANSI E paper, so I had to use 6.

Steve
jetset44 is online now Find More Posts by jetset44