Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:48 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadersvette View Post
Steve,

For those of us who are somewhat athletically challenged and can't always "catch" the plane on landing as you did in the video......how sensitive are the props to breakage (I fly off a dry lake bed)?

Should I be developing a large butterfly net?
I only catch my jets about half the time (when it's safe to do so--no crowds, no wind). So I belly land the other half, and I've had no problems at all with damage with 6" or 7" diameter props. So there's nothing to worry about. If you land on dry lake bed, though, you'll want to protect the foam on the belly of the airplane. You can either use thick packing tape or laminate on some thin plastic sheet. That's what guys that build my Polaris seaplane do all the time (you can check out that thread for more ideas).

Speaking of programming, the channel mix diagram I posted at the beginning of this thread really isn't specific to any particular transmitter. It just shows the required channels and mixes you need with any transmitter. Of course, the specifics for how you program those mixes depends on the type of transmitter.
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:50 PM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadersvette View Post
nrg2go,

Very good idea....thank you....I would not have thought about that!
With your permission I'm sending your answer to a friend of mine whom I questioned about this...I'm sure he will be pleased.
Thanks....
All yours that's what these forums are for, to share ideas.
But as Steve points out the bigger problem will be protecting the belly without adding too much wt.
nrg2go is online now Find More Posts by nrg2go
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:33 AM
Crash Test Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset44 View Post
If you land on dry lake bed, though, you'll want to protect the foam on the belly of the airplane. You can either use thick packing tape or laminate on some thin plastic sheet. That's what guys that build my Polaris seaplane do all the time (you can check out that thread for more ideas).
Check out my pics on page 193
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...66686&page=193
I used carbon fiber tow which is basically long lengths of loosely bundled carbon strands. You lay down a thin coat if wbpu, lay down the fibers, and coat the top with more wbpu. Very similar to glassing. Makes for a very strong landing surface with not a lot of weight gain...
Levictus is offline Find More Posts by Levictus
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:17 AM
Rhys - Forever Learning
United Kingdom, Wales, Nelson
Joined Feb 2007
359 Posts
It seems that my Sukhoi is struggling with scale problems... oh oh.
Now to find a power system that will make it shift enough... gonna need to be a small battery!!
rhysduk is offline Find More Posts by rhysduk
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:18 AM
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
SU-27 Test Pilot paint job

Well got the paint job done..... a little blotchy in places... ah well.

Decided to go with SU-27 Test Pilot demonstration Team colours. Here is the link http://www.mars.slupsk.pl/fort/sukhoi/big/su27pd[598].jpg

Now I'll have to see if I can make some decals up.... How do you do that?

Still a bit concerned about the power plant for this 43 oz !!!!! model.

Using a Grayson Hobby Super Mega Jet, 50 Amp Esc and 2200 Mah Nano tech 25-50 C with a 6x4 prop. Only getting about 275 watts on WOT and fresh battery.

Haven't received ordered 7x4 prop yet.... Anybody give me an idea what this 7x4 will do for performance? Will it give more thrust? What will happen to motor speed? I think the amps will go up, 50 amp Esc should handle that right?

As previously posted, not looking for a rocket ship.... just a nice scale looking bird.

Would a lower KV and bigger prop work better?

Is it worth changing motor out for NTN 2826 (2200 or 2700 KV) or Graysons Monster Jet?

When I hold the plane vertical just doesn't seem to have the power. Hold it parallel to the ground and it seems to want to go forward.

Has anybody else had a bird this heavy and used something similar to power it?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Andy
Limie99 is offline Find More Posts by Limie99
Old Mar 03, 2013, 08:25 AM
Crash Test Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limie99 View Post
Well got the paint job done..... a little blotchy in places... ah well.

Decided to go with SU-27 Test Pilot demonstration Team colours. Here is the link http://www.mars.slupsk.pl/fort/sukhoi/big/su27pd[598].jpg

Now I'll have to see if I can make some decals up.... How do you do that?

Still a bit concerned about the power plant for this 43 oz !!!!! model.

Using a Grayson Hobby Super Mega Jet, 50 Amp Esc and 2200 Mah Nano tech 25-50 C with a 6x4 prop. Only getting about 275 watts on WOT and fresh battery.

Haven't received ordered 7x4 prop yet.... Anybody give me an idea what this 7x4 will do for performance? Will it give more thrust? What will happen to motor speed? I think the amps will go up, 50 amp Esc should handle that right?

As previously posted, not looking for a rocket ship.... just a nice scale looking bird.

Would a lower KV and bigger prop work better?

Is it worth changing motor out for NTN 2826 (2200 or 2700 KV) or Graysons Monster Jet?

When I hold the plane vertical just doesn't seem to have the power. Hold it parallel to the ground and it seems to want to go forward.

Has anybody else had a bird this heavy and used something similar to power it?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Andy
Hey Andy...cool scheme, I haven't seen that one before

For all my decals, i lift the highest resolution images possible from the Internet. All my decals are sized and arranged on 8x10 background in Photoshop. I then take the file to Kinkos and they do a color laser printing on a clear full page packing label all for $1.55

They stick amazing and when you spray over a sealing layer of water based polyurethane, they are permanent...

Hope that helps!
Levictus is offline Find More Posts by Levictus
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:01 AM
Joined Jan 2012
11 Posts
hello
my su 37
m.r shumate thank you for best designe
made in iran
thanks
amin2904 is offline Find More Posts by amin2904
Old Mar 05, 2013, 10:46 AM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,879 Posts
Limie99, amin2904:

Great job on both of your planes! Great paint schemes.
T3chDad is online now Find More Posts by T3chDad
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Flight Log Update!
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:53 AM
Joined Jan 2012
11 Posts
Thank's
Meanwhile:
my setup:
battry 3cell 1800
motor: dualsky xm2826 ea16
esc : 25 a
weight : 800 g
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:22 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,568 Posts
Nice work, amin2904! Your model looks really good. And I'm especially thrilled to see my design being built in Iran!

That prop looks quite big for that airframe, which makes me worry about prop torque effects. I'm not familiar with that motor, but if it can spin a smaller diameter prop efficiently it could reduce the torque effect and fly better. If you do fly with this setup, but sure to launch with half-throttle or less, and only give it full throttle once you have some airspeed.

Steve
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:50 PM
Joined Jan 2012
11 Posts
hi m.r shumate
my name is amin
Sorry if I bad speak English
my dialog is not good
I am glad to talk with you
I love your designing.
your drawing is very good.
After I made ​​the jet,Many friends were interested in making it.
I always Protection that your designing in iran.
about you comment I must say is quite true.i use a 800 gr trust engine.
I have a flight video soon
You have created a drawing of the shuttle?
thank you
Old Mar 05, 2013, 10:49 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,568 Posts
Hi amin,
No worries on your English, I'm just glad you took the time to share your work.

Thank you for the compliments, I'm thrilled to see guys like you enjoying my plans. No, I haven't created plans for a shuttle. That would be a fun project, though. I'd encourage you to give it a try!

I look forward to seeing your flight video.

Steve
Old Mar 06, 2013, 12:10 AM
Joined Jan 2012
11 Posts
thank you steve
This is my jet topic
http://www.r30.ir/thread-2878-page-3.html
I sometimes drawing plans
But the quality of your project does not
design now. in iran, I will support it.
I want to create an archive of your project.
sure.i soon put the flight video.

Amin
Old Mar 16, 2013, 02:01 AM
Joined Feb 2013
1 Posts
Hi, my SU-37 from Italy! Name: uploadfromtaptalk1363417234583.jpg
Views: 183
Size: 54.1 KB
Description:

Name: uploadfromtaptalk1363417234583.jpg
Views: 183
Size: 54.1 KB
Description:
SU 37 is offline Find More Posts by SU 37
Old Mar 16, 2013, 07:18 AM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
You must be righteously proud Steve that your awaesome designs are held in such high esteem all over this globe? Talk about this hobby brininging people together!? Perhaps if all world leaders got into RC and shared on this forum, the whole mess would be improved (naieve I know) but astounding how so many different cultures are brought together over this hobby, your desins being a huge catalyst for this. And you just wanted to design good models? Just look at the knock on, positive affects these have had? The examples of the SU builds on this thread are truly wonderful. If there is ever a 'foamie Hall of Fame' you and H-J must be inaurgurated for your outstanding designs. 'Nuff said!! Any new projects on the go?
electriceye is offline Find More Posts by electriceye