SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 04, 2007, 10:22 AM
Hello again.
Corona, California
Joined Aug 2006
538 Posts
Your new number one plane? What happened to the Raptor?
You blow me away with your planes.
f-22 maniac is offline Find More Posts by f-22 maniac
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2007, 10:38 AM
I've half a mind...
New Delhi, India
Joined Jul 2005
2,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by f-22 maniac
.......You blow me away with your planes.
Welcome to the club. Your membership number is 5,321,987,34.....never mind, just come on in

Doc
docrob is offline Find More Posts by docrob
Old Apr 04, 2007, 10:40 AM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,289 Posts
Steve Shumate for World Emperor!!!
.... of park jets...
But seriously, excellent work man! When I get home from work, 10 bux goes your way!
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Apr 04, 2007, 11:04 AM
I've half a mind...
New Delhi, India
Joined Jul 2005
2,600 Posts

I'm feeling like a proud foster father on this one

For those of you starting your builds, I've done a log of MY build here .

For the record, Steve and I finished almost simultaneously - halfway across the world , and while Steve has put HIS bird through the wringer, I still have to maiden mine - winds!!!!!! I really should have taken it to Corbett for it's maiden.

Doc
docrob is offline Find More Posts by docrob
Old Apr 04, 2007, 11:40 AM
Italy, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Fontanafredda
Joined Apr 2005
670 Posts
WOO HOO!!! Kinko's here I come. (well, the Italian equivallent) I do have to get the F-14 done before starting this one. But what better motivation can there be!

Doc - Good luck on the maiden. Maybe you can still beat Steve in getting some video !!!

Randy
R/C Dallas is offline Find More Posts by R/C Dallas
Old Apr 04, 2007, 12:26 PM
Use the Force!
San Marcos, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,179 Posts
Woo-Hoo! New Project for Me!

I just received the files from Steve for the SU-37 ParkJet. This morning I blew them up to 150% size, which gives a wingspan of 45" and an overall length of 54". At this scale, it will have 652 square inches of wing area. Since the SU-37 is a little bit bigger that the other ParkJets by about 15%, the 150% enlargement is more like a 166% enlargment of the other planes, so this one will be almost as big as my 166% F/A-18C that I built last year.

For power, I am thinking about using 2 of the Scorpion 3020 motors, like that one that is on my F-4 Phantom. Instead of pushing the motor to 625 watts like I am doing on the F-4, I will probably prop them down to pull 500-550 each, and use a pair of 6-cell A123 packs for power. The plane will have to get a set of retacts, and vectored thrust is a must-have, so the all-up weight of this bird will probably come in at around 6 to 6-1/2 pounds. I am going to shoot for at least 175 watts per pound, so performance should be very impressive.

It will be a while before I can start the project, since all of my time is going towards getting my business up an running, but I think that by May I should be able to start cutting some foam!

I will post my usual in-depth build thread once construction begins, and I think that this will be the best one yet!

Stay tuned for more ParkJet fun.

Lucien
LBMiller5 is offline Find More Posts by LBMiller5
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 04, 2007, 12:58 PM
Callsign: CornDog
Milpitas, CA
Joined May 2003
5,364 Posts
Nice work Steve! This has been added to my list. Does anyone have some time for sale? I don't seem to have enough!
HawkLover is offline Find More Posts by HawkLover
Old Apr 04, 2007, 02:56 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,608 Posts
Wow, it's fun to work for such an appreciative crowd! I'm really looking forward to hearing the stories and seeing the pictures from the folks that build this bird.

I ran out of time last night to post scaled plans, so I'll do that later tonight. I'm thinking of posting a 28" span version to match the sizing of all my other park jets (which works great with the common Himax 2015 and Axi 22 series motors) and a 26" span version to work well with a single LSPJ motor. I could also post a smaller "Pocket Jet" sized 22" span version for CD-ROM motors if there's any interest in that. If anybody wants larger scales, I can post tiled versions but not untiled since my PDF driver can't handle paper sizes that large. But keep in mind tiled plans that large will involve taping together 40 or more sheets of paper! That's why Lucien's plans printing service is so handy.

For reference, since most of my other park jets were sized for 250 sq in wing area, many folks tend to think of that size as a 100% park jet. That makes this 290 sq in twin LSPJ version a 107% jet.

Steve
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Apr 04, 2007, 03:05 PM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBMiller5
I just received the files from Steve for the SU-37 ParkJet. This morning I blew them up to 150% size, which gives a wingspan of 45" and an overall length of 54".
Stay tuned for more ParkJet fun. Lucien
Heh... I thought you were doing Mesnicks Mig 1.44 first
-------------------------------------------------------

I know this is going to come up, so I might as well do it first
How big do you need to blow up the plans for

A. 56mm XF fans (about 60mm O.D.)
B. 60mm Alfa Fans (about 64mm O.D.)
C. 68mm Minifans (about 72mm O.D.)

Tom
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Old Apr 04, 2007, 03:57 PM
Use the Force!
San Marcos, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,179 Posts
RCParkflyer,

I will measure the cross sections later and post the scale factors here.

Lucien
LBMiller5 is offline Find More Posts by LBMiller5
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 04, 2007, 05:12 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Apr 2003
3,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset44

For those that would like to show their appreciation for all the work that went into these plans, contributions to my "Depron fund" can be sent via Paypal to jetset44@verizon.net ($5 to $10 suggested).

Steve
Steve, just my appreciation to all of your wonderful
work, I feel the need to contribute to the "Depron fund"
but I did have issue with Paypal and canceled my account.
Please PM me for info to sent my contribution, not with Paypal.

Many thanks Steve.
rcguy01 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy01
Old Apr 05, 2007, 12:48 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,608 Posts
Scaled Plans

Here are scaled plans for this model in three different scales that I thought would cover the gamut--28", 26", and 22" spans. I've attached a table below that summarizes the resultant wing areas, est AUWs, and recommended motors. Note that all of these are simple scale-downs of the original plans and do not include any corrections for foam thickness, though there shouldn't be too many corrections required.

Each size is posted in tiled and nontiled versions.

Steve
Last edited by jetset44; Apr 25, 2007 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Added tiled versions for all sizes
Old Apr 05, 2007, 12:58 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,608 Posts
Lucien - Whoa, I don't think you can call a 6 lb jet model a PARK jet! A cool model definitely, but seems like that's out of the league of park jets. I'm definitely eager to see how that turns out--sounds awesome!

RCParkflyer - Thanks again for all the work you do in maintaining parkjets.com! Now I can tell everybody that asks at the flying field, "The Su-37 plans are available at parkjets.com!"

Doc - I'm eagerly awaiting that maiden flight report from you. I can't wait to hear you say how smoooooooth this ship flies! That's certainly my impression so far. My model will be down for several weeks for painting and other things, so you can certainly beat me to posting a flight video if you want to!

Steve
Last edited by jetset44; Apr 05, 2007 at 01:38 PM.
Old Apr 05, 2007, 12:34 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Apr 2003
3,171 Posts
Thank you Steve.
rcguy01 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy01
Old Apr 05, 2007, 01:36 PM
That thing's operational!
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Thanks a lot Steve!