SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:56 PM
Joined Jan 2013
117 Posts
Guys, thanks for the positive coments. its good to get some praise but much better and rewarding to inspire others to have a go at these amazing planes from Steve.....

As to the Maiden flight, it was a none event and it was done before it was painted The plane is such a dream to fly with cuise at 1/3 throttles and as for the vectored flips - it just makes me smile thinking about it

The best bit.. its so so smooth to fly and the profile as it passes with the drooped nose is fab.

In reply to the UK member who asked about equivalent motors to Steve's originals, mine has ones source from ebay from China/Hong Kong. Just enter 2200KV in the search engine then select the engine and ESP package (30amp). I think Steve suggested this motor size is a little over spec'd for the moter size but it works for me (£13) is a great price too. All my growing fleet run on this set up - F14, F18 &X29 (soon to be test flown when the gyro turns up)

So here's to you guys and keep up the great comments on the threads

Hopefully when the good old British weather breaks i will get some flying shots of the others , just like my F14..............
106flyer is online now Find More Posts by 106flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:03 PM
Rhys - Forever Learning
United Kingdom, Wales, Nelson
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Thansk very much 106flyer for the info :-)

Question; in the build guide it says;
"Note that double thickness doublers are used throughout to allow sanding the forward fuselage to a rounded shape"

So does this mean that we make double the amount of forward fuse doublers on 6mm depron and single duse doublers on 12mm depron?

Cheers
rhysduk is offline Find More Posts by rhysduk
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:00 PM
Crash Test Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysduk View Post
Thansk very much 106flyer for the info :-)

Question; in the build guide it says;
"Note that double thickness doublers are used throughout to allow sanding the forward fuselage to a rounded shape"

So does this mean that we make double the amount of forward fuse doublers on 6mm depron and single duse doublers on 12mm depron?

Cheers
Nope, plans are made for 6mm depron. Sometimes the plans will show one part, like a doubler, which is used on both sides and will be designated with an x2 so just cut out two, use one on each side...
Levictus is offline Find More Posts by Levictus
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:35 PM
Rhys - Forever Learning
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Thanks Levictus, so what does the actual sentence mean? Excuse the ignorance but I just don't get it.

Is it just explaining the fact that some parts consist of two doublers to increase the sanding area? IE one long doubler and one shorter doubler. Like the Fwd fuselage double top 1 and top 2 ?

Thanks
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:10 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysduk View Post
Thanks Levictus, so what does the actual sentence mean? Excuse the ignorance but I just don't get it.

Is it just explaining the fact that some parts consist of two doublers to increase the sanding area? IE one long doubler and one shorter doubler. Like the Fwd fuselage double top 1 and top 2 ?

Thanks
Good question. I simply meant that two doubles are used in the corners instead of one (and both are already shown on the plans). All my previous designs used only one doubled in the corners--but they weren't as curvy!
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:32 AM
Rhys - Forever Learning
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Thanks jetset, much appreciated

Shall continue the build!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:42 AM
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
Thoughts on 39 oz. model

Hi Guys,

New to the forum.... been building this bird for awhile and finally got it together (wow, so many pieces to cut out and glue).

Will post pictures in the next couple of days, but the issue I have is weight. I'm already at 39 oz. and I haven't painted it yet!!!!

Using a single Grayson SMJ v2 for power with a 6x4 and 50 amp ESC and wondering if the bird will get in the air?

I'm Canadian and can't readily get 6mm Depron, so I laminated 4.5 and 2.5mm foam board and I think that's where my extra weight has come from.

I don't need 1:1 performance, I actually like to see a plane fly by me ..... not scream by me.

Any thoughts on a different power plant? Should I go with a different prop.... possibly a 7x4 or a 6x5 to get more performance? Would a 9x6 with a lower KV work better?

I'm really concerned about torque roll at full power with the launch and somebody suggested that I get a gyro for roll to help control that.... what do you think?

This has been a labour of love with this model and I would hate to screw it up on the maiden.

Any help you could throw my way would be appreciated.

Thanks..... Andy
Limie99 is offline Find More Posts by Limie99
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:34 AM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,928 Posts
@Andy: If yours is full-size, I wouldn't worry about the weight. My 26" version was 32-33oz AUW. IMO, this plane flies better the heavier it is (within reason). Since you already have the SMJ, I'd try that with the 6x4 and see how it goes. The first 28" version I built used that power system with great success. If you really want to prop it differently, I would go more to the larger prop...not more pitch. Just make sure you check with a watt meter to make sure you're not exceeding the specs of the power system.

Good luck!
T3chDad is offline Find More Posts by T3chDad
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Flight Log Update!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:54 AM
Rhys - Forever Learning
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
What power setups are people using on the 22" wingspan versions? Can't find anything... my search skillz are poo!
Last edited by rhysduk; Feb 21, 2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:03 AM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,928 Posts
I haven't seen a 22" version built. I would think that at that size, you might not be able to do the dual motor/TV setup. If you're going single motor, the 2212-06 motor would make it fly. If you want a screamer, you could use either the Grayson SMJ or the E-Flite Six 2700kv.
T3chDad is offline Find More Posts by T3chDad
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Flight Log Update!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:23 AM
Rhys - Forever Learning
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Thanks Dad... errr I mean... thanks t3ch i'll take a look around at those motors and see what's available here in the UK

In the scale picture the recommended motor is a CD-ROM motor but no specs are given.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:00 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,604 Posts
Andy,
I'll second what T3chDad said--this design can easily handle weights that high. I would go easy on the paint though, to avoid getting too much higher (even a basic paint job can add 1-2 oz).

The SMJ motor can also easily handle that weight. Either the 6x4 or 7x4 should work fine, try both. I'd probably err toward the 7x4 if you're like me and prefer more vertical capability than speed.

Don't worry too much about prop torque, it's really minimal with a 6" or 7" diameter prop. You can safely launch at 3/4 throttle without worrying about torque (then throttle up to full right after the launch). Definitely don't need a gyro for torque effects.

As for the throw, just be careful to throw the model straight and smooth. That's harder than it sounds since you're hold the model off-center when you're holding the nacelle. Just remember if you're holding the left nacelle (i.e., you're right-handed) to impart a slight twist in your wrist to your left--that will keep the model from yawing/rolling to the right. Check out my flight video on the first page of this thread and you'll see I didn't quite do it right on that particular launch--the model rolled right 45 degrees right after I threw it! Easy recovery, but if you do it right no recovery is needed at all. It's not hard, you just have to stop and think about it carefully before throwing, and not just chuck it in the air.

Good luck with the maiden! And let us see how your model turned out after you paint it.

Steve
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:58 PM
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
Thanks Bob and Steve for your replies.

I'll give it a go with SMJ and 6x4.

Any thoughts on Elevon throws and Expo's for that first flight?

CG is just about right on (6.1" from center spar) but I'm thinking of making her a little nose heavy.... going to reposition 2200 mah nano-tech a little more forward. Would 7.1" be better?

Andy
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:31 AM
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
Just needs a paint job

Here is the bird to date..... it just needs a paint job!

Andy
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:45 AM
Rhys - Forever Learning
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limie99 View Post
Thanks Bob and Steve for your replies.

I'll give it a go with SMJ and 6x4.

Any thoughts on Elevon throws and Expo's for that first flight?

CG is just about right on (6.1" from center spar) but I'm thinking of making her a little nose heavy.... going to reposition 2200 mah nano-tech a little more forward. Would 7.1" be better?

Andy
I wouldn't go as much as an inch further forward. Take it in small increments, says 1.4" at a time and see how it behaves.

1" and it will be extremely nose heavy to that of the intended CG

Steve - any idea on specs for a motor for a 22" version? "CD-ROM" motor means little to me in terms of kv, Ah etc
Last edited by rhysduk; Feb 22, 2013 at 02:57 AM.