HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2012, 09:49 PM
Warriors
United States, MI, Farmington Hills
Joined Apr 2012
69 Posts
Hello Wobisch,

Nice paint job.. I am a newbie here.. Can you tell me how you paint the plane and what kind of paints do u use.

Thanks
Anant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobisch View Post
This was a lot of work so far and it is still a long way to go...
anantken is offline Find More Posts by anantken
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:24 AM
fortuna favet fortibus
Schweiz, AG, Merenschwand
Joined Oct 2011
896 Posts
Hi,
I'm using a professional Air-Brush equipment (Vega 2000) and colors from "Wicked Color". Those are aqua based and easy to handle.
Wobisch is offline Find More Posts by Wobisch
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:36 PM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Belfast
Joined Jun 2011
335 Posts
Most water based paints through an airbrush is like trying to force sludge through a pin hole. Fortunately Auto Air got it right with their wicked line of paint. The vega 2000 is a nice entry level brush and you can do some good work with it. Your looks sweet by the way Wobisch. A good quality brush goes a long way. Also diferent types of brushes for different work. Siphon feed for medium areas, Gravity for more detail and smaller amounts of paint and the there's your microns and custom microns for high detail work. Lets not for get..... Sorry went on one there.

I've all these beautiful airbrushes out in my workshop and I went and solarfilmed my SU 37. :0
Shows what I know.
Shane Sunday is online now Find More Posts by Shane Sunday
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:53 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
I only use the water based acrylic paints from the craft section at Wallmart. I use an airbrush and they work very well.. The key is to properly thin them, I use the glass cleaner Windex to thin the paint, about 30%, that you will have to experiment with.. The surfactant in the Windex helps the paint flow better and dry better. Good luck, w
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:13 PM
Madison WI
Joined Aug 2003
1,805 Posts
I have always thinned with rubbing alcohol. Isn't the windex blue?
agriebel is offline Find More Posts by agriebel
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:09 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2010
255 Posts
I've always used windex to dilute the acrylic paints and never had a problem. I've not had a problem with the blue tint changing the color of the paints. However, an airbrush dude from Grex did mention that Windex contains ammonia which can mess up the brass pieces in an airbrush (if the airbrush contains brass, which the Grex units do). Windex does make an ammonia and dye free glass cleaner which works the same for diluting the acrylics. I've been using this now in my airbrushes since I do eventually want to get a Grex. My 2 cents.

vic
vicentel is offline Find More Posts by vicentel
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:04 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by agriebel View Post
I have always thinned with rubbing alcohol. Isn't the windex blue?
Yup, it's blue, but it doesn't tint the paint, even white.. I have tried alcohol but dries and clogs the tip too much, so went back to the windex. I'm know my Iwata is made of brass, but I clean and lubricate it after use, sometimes it has set overnight wrapped in plastic sandwich wrap to keep it from drying so I can continue my project the next morning.. I guess if it does finally eat up some parts, I'll replace them, but I haven't had any issues so far. Also the ammonia thing might be an issue if you used it everyday, and rarely cleaned it like you were making your living with it.. I have good luck with using the windex..But that's my .02 worth.. good luck, w.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:49 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
One other thing about the Windex,,, John Morgan has used it for years, and painted countless planes, I don't think he has ever had any trouble with his airbrushes.. w.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:55 AM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Belfast
Joined Jun 2011
335 Posts
I've heard of people using windex to thin acrylics. I will have to try this. Also future wax to seal. I've done this and it works a treat. But Auto Air WICKED colours are the bomb! Good flow with little tip dry. Might be a bit more expensive but for what you get quality wise it is well worth it.
Shane Sunday is online now Find More Posts by Shane Sunday
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:39 AM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,959 Posts
I've used windex to thin my craft paint for the airbrush for years as well. I think it works pretty well.
T3chDad is online now Find More Posts by T3chDad
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Flight Log Update!
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:37 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2010
255 Posts
Well if T3chDad is going to show off his baby, then I guess it's OK if I show off mine all airbrushed, used Tamiya and Model Master acrylic paints, all diluted with the standard Windex, all masked with Frog tape.

Vic
vicentel is offline Find More Posts by vicentel
Last edited by vicentel; Sep 11, 2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:33 AM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,959 Posts
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome we are!

Just kidding....but couldn't resist.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:02 PM
Madison WI
Joined Aug 2003
1,805 Posts
ok, I will try it next time.
agriebel is offline Find More Posts by agriebel
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:33 PM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2012
720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicentel View Post
Well if T3chDad is going to show off his baby, then I guess it's OK if I show off mine all airbrushed, used Tamiya and Model Master acrylic paints, all diluted with the standard Windex, all masked with Frog tape.

Vic
OK 2 questions:
1- Do you guys finish the paint with a clear covering (WBPU for example) or just use the acrylic paint as final coat?
2- Are there plans for that SU 27 somewhere? (that's what I'm working on)

Thanks
Michael V is online now Find More Posts by Michael V
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:47 PM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael V View Post
OK 2 questions:
1- Do you guys finish the paint with a clear covering (WBPU for example) or just use the acrylic paint as final coat?
2- Are there plans for that SU 27 somewhere? (that's what I'm working on)

Thanks
1) I airbrush-on clear coat. Minwax matte WBPU (blue can). I also use Windex to thin this.

2) I believe Steve had the Su-27 variant in the first few pages of this thread. The only differences that I can remember are the canards and vertical stab tops.
RCG Plus Member