HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2012, 11:14 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,616 Posts
Great work, Biffda! Nice looking model and nice flying on the maiden flight. Didn't look like the best day for a maiden (windy), but it flew great. Thanks for the pics and video!

Steve
jetset44 is online now Find More Posts by jetset44
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:52 AM
if its not broke,fix it anyway
United Kingdom, England, Coventry
Joined Jan 2012
146 Posts
thanks jetset44 for both comment and great plans

looking foward to doing many more
Biffda is offline Find More Posts by Biffda
Old Apr 11, 2012, 04:41 AM
Joined Jan 2012
146 Posts
Just to let every one know my AUW is 39,1/2 Oz
What a fatty not sure where I went wrong with so much weight?
Might look at putting it on a diet
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:37 AM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffda View Post
Just to let every one know my AUW is 39,1/2 Oz
What a fatty not sure where I went wrong with so much weight?
Might look at putting it on a diet
Personally, I think this plane flies better the heavier it is. Just look at mine...26"version and more than 32oz. I wouldn't mess with it unless you're really unhappy with how it flies.
T3chDad is online now Find More Posts by T3chDad
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Flight Log v4.0 Progress...
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:25 PM
Joined Jan 2012
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3chDad View Post
Personally, I think this plane flies better the heavier it is. Just look at mine...26"version and more than 32oz. I wouldn't mess with it unless you're really unhappy with how it flies.
thanks t3chdad looks like it will stay as it is then, there were no issues on maiden flight or second flight un like my gripen i maidened today and crashed it in to some trees again like i did with my F15
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:11 PM
Bank & Yank !
Sunderland, UK
Joined Jan 2002
43 Posts
Great Aircraft

HI, been lurking around this thread for over a year but never got anything posted.

Just a big thankyou to Steve for the effort he has put into all his plans and the generosity for sharing them all.

About a year ago i decided to build the SU37 as i had never built a plane using depron in a traditional style design ie not a flat plate. The first few photos i came across were actually of T3chdad`s plane and i just fell in love with how nice it looked. I had a few sheets of grey depron lying around so got a new blade in the xacto and printed out the plans for the 30" version.

I decided to build using pretty much with components i already had lying around so went with a single motor version with a 2000kv inrunner motor that runs nice on 6x4`s. I didnt go with vectored thrust after seeing a couple of vids in the thread but did go down the route of ailerons and all moving tails with ability to mix them together.
So, started the cutting out of the parts, a lot of parts .
The build went without a hitch and i spent a lot of time trying to get a nice shape and finish.
Anyway got it built about a year ago and decided to start painting before a test flight as it is a proven design. Got a coat of grey on it and then started doing the Ace Combat scheme. I then got impatient and as the weather was nice one day i took it out for its maiden with paint job incomplete.
What can i say, it went awesome, flew fast straight and level and i fell in love with it instantly. within 1 minute i was doing flatout low passes and throwing it all over the sky.

Been flying it now for a year and is most likley my fav plane. Still not got paint job finished, just needing some panel lines and decals.

Here are some pics and a Video my m8 has just put together from some recent flying which the su37 features a lot

Gary

edit trying to figure youtube embedding will post when figured out

lol figured it out quick

Heptad aerial video and su 37 jet with gopro hero hd on board (2 min 21 sec)
Gary Dodds is offline Find More Posts by Gary Dodds
Last edited by Gary Dodds; Apr 15, 2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: vid
Old Apr 15, 2012, 04:40 PM
kings lynn, norfolk uk
Joined Sep 2007
597 Posts
looks good Gary, like the paint scheme, need to get mine out again, although I now need to do a little repair on the wing,as when I went in the garage today it was laying on top of MY raptor, it had somehow fell over and landed on the wing tip.
peter24 is offline Find More Posts by peter24
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:21 PM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,989 Posts
Wow Gary....WOW! Great build, great flying, great photography, great editing. Thanks for sharing that with us!
T3chDad is online now Find More Posts by T3chDad
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Flight Log v4.0 Progress...
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:30 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,616 Posts
Wow Gary, GREAT work! Nice model, nice flying, and REALLY nice video! I'm thrilled to see what you've done with the plans. Thanks for sharing!
jetset44 is online now Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:20 AM
Bank & Yank !
Sunderland, UK
Joined Jan 2002
43 Posts
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Will post more videos as we make em

Gary.
Gary Dodds is offline Find More Posts by Gary Dodds
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:01 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Lovely looking and flying model Gary, well done!!
electriceye is offline Find More Posts by electriceye
Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:41 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2010
255 Posts
I forgot to put thread-lock on the screws for my EDF so they of course worked themselves loose. Thankfully the plane worked with a "screw loose" and didn't crash just a bad vibration when the fan was spooling up. I had to cut out the foam and pull out the unit to service it, you can see by the pictures. I've put it all back together tested it and flown it. I am now in the process of repairing the foam. I love foam...so easy.

Vic
vicentel is offline Find More Posts by vicentel
Old Jun 24, 2012, 01:40 PM
Joined Aug 2010
255 Posts
I finished my repair work! The faulty fan was fixed, put back in the nacelle and the nacelle repaired. I managed to fly it after the repair and it flies as good as when it was new. I have no idea how many flights I have on it now, lost count.

Vic
Last edited by vicentel; Jun 24, 2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:58 PM
Joined Aug 2010
255 Posts
I also decided to replace the other fan in my 100% Shumate Su-27 EDF. If you recall one of the original fans blew up in the nacelle and I replaced it with a different EDF (GWS 6 blade 55mm, with 4500kv outrunner). I decided to go with the same fan in the other nacelle. The original edf was working but there was a slight vibration that made it very, very loud. Since I was working on the bigger Su-37 I decided to work on this as well.

After replacing the fan and repairing the nacelle I flew the Su-27...what a difference! It is so quiet now and, maybe it's just me, but I think it's actually performing better. It makes sense since now instead of wasting energy on making noise it's using it to generate more thrust.

BTW - the new EDFs generate 20oz of static thrust each. On a 30oz plane it gives awesome performance! Flight times are about 3-3.5 min on a 2200mAh 3S 30C pack. Amp draw is 44 amps on a 30C and goes up to 49amps on a 65C pack.

New specs:
wingspan: 30"
edf: 2x 55mm EDFs (measured static thrust, 37oz, when installed in nacelle)
motor: 2x 4500KV
ESC: 2x 30Amp
Battery: 3S 2200 65C
AUW: 30oz (when painted, with battery)
Servos: 2-elevon mix, 1-rudder

Vic
Last edited by vicentel; Jun 25, 2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 03:59 PM
fortuna favet fortibus
Schweiz, AG, Merenschwand
Joined Oct 2011
897 Posts
Hi folks

I've just started with my super flanker project. Since my Tiger F-5 has become to heavy I'm trying to follow Steve's construction manual.
Wobisch is offline Find More Posts by Wobisch
RCG Plus Member