HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:00 AM
if its not broke,fix it anyway
United Kingdom, England, Coventry
Joined Jan 2012
146 Posts
A bit like my F15 then duffed a landing yesterday , not impressed the week before it got attacked by a dog
Biffda is offline Find More Posts by Biffda
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:54 AM
kings lynn, norfolk uk
Joined Sep 2007
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffda View Post
Nice looking jet peter24,,, How much you got left to do?
i just need to seal the paint, then im good to go, how is your build coming on?
Jetsett am i correct in thinking the cg should be 7.32" on my 36" span jet, oh if i havent said all ready, thanks for the plans. awesome designs as usual.
peter24 is offline Find More Posts by peter24
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:54 PM
Joined Jan 2012
146 Posts
mines coming on ok a bit slow due to my f15 that i repaired and painted then crashed on landing just need to order escs fit nacelles,shape the rear and paint im just making motor mounts to finish the servo fitting
Old Mar 19, 2012, 05:35 PM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Belfast
Joined Jun 2011
330 Posts
Peter your model looks lovely. I don't know if you've sealed the paint yet or not but if you take floor wax in a spray bottle and mist it from a distance of say 2 feet then use a hair dryer to dry it then mist again until you feel comfortable you have complete coverage this will keep any paint from running and will seal it all in. also make the model completely wipe-able.

I had a torque roll issue with mine about a month ago. Of all my models I've only had 2 or 3 real issue and all were my own fault. This is a fantastic model to build and fly. Now it's back to putty filler, sanding then painting to get her back to new again. But she is worth it.
Shane Sunday is online now Find More Posts by Shane Sunday
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:00 AM
kings lynn, norfolk uk
Joined Sep 2007
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Sunday View Post
Peter your model looks lovely. I don't know if you've sealed the paint yet or not but if you take floor wax in a spray bottle and mist it from a distance of say 2 feet then use a hair dryer to dry it then mist again until you feel comfortable you have complete coverage this will keep any paint from running and will seal it all in. also make the model completely wipe-able.

I had a torque roll issue with mine about a month ago. Of all my models I've only had 2 or 3 real issue and all were my own fault. This is a fantastic model to build and fly. Now it's back to putty filler, sanding then painting to get her back to new again. But she is worth it.
Thanks Shane, do you mean put varnish in an atomiser type spray bottle, or a proper spray gun, i have an atomiser bottle, although they do have spray guns at work, sounds like an excellent idea.
All steves models are awesome, i have built several now, they all fly great. you cant beat a bit of sanding..
peter24 is offline Find More Posts by peter24
Old Mar 21, 2012, 04:35 AM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Belfast
Joined Jun 2011
330 Posts
exactly just a regular spray bottle with floor wax in it and then a few coats from a distance until she is covered. I use to do this all the time on the street. Ya us punks wanting to vandalize but weren't old enough to buy spray cans so we took tempura ( water based) paint and mixed it in with floor wax and sprayed our tag templates all round the town. They stayed for months! Walk on em all you like it's floor wax. Rain, snow, hail give her nails it's tough as.

A bit of sanding is right I did a bit of sanding on his tomcat then a bit more on his SU-37 now I plan on a bit more on the F-5 then when I'm done that I'll probably do some more sanding in my sleep. Hahaha

Good luck
Shane Sunday is online now Find More Posts by Shane Sunday
Old Mar 21, 2012, 04:32 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2010
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3chDad View Post
She is still down for "repairs".
Breaks the heart. Your Yellow 13 scheme always impresses. After a couple of hard landings I finally had to glass the nacelles on my edf powered 34" wingspan Su-37. At nearly 60oz the bottom of the plane was taking a beating from the all the wear-and-tear of belly landing. Fiber glassing the nacelles really strengthened them and added very little weight. Had a lot of flights on her and she's still going strong.

Vic
vicentel is offline Find More Posts by vicentel
Last edited by vicentel; Mar 21, 2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:18 PM
Joined Jan 2012
146 Posts
Name: IMG_0463.jpg
Views: 97
Size: 206.9 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_0464.jpg
Views: 77
Size: 218.4 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_0472.jpg
Views: 91
Size: 291.7 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_0475.jpg
Views: 83
Size: 295.8 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_0476.jpg
Views: 95
Size: 300.0 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_0478.jpg
Views: 117
Size: 239.5 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_0479.jpg
Views: 102
Size: 255.8 KB
Description: so here we are then my motor mounts, not bad for my first go heres some pics of how i made them
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:21 PM
Joined Jan 2012
146 Posts
Vic that looks real good how did you do the panel lines
Last edited by Biffda; Mar 22, 2012 at 02:27 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:25 PM
Joined Aug 2010
255 Posts
I took a technique from t3chDad and used Chartpak tape 1/16", 1/32", and 1/64" sizes.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:40 PM
Joined Jan 2012
146 Posts
Vic how long did it take, and also can you post pic of tape or a link to get it

Thanks cliff
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Aug 2010
255 Posts
Cliff, you can go to this link for a picture:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...66686&page=138
post 269

I bought mine on Amazon.com

Vic
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Aug 2010
255 Posts
As far as how long it took...well you're going to have to make sure your seal the foam to create a smooth surface for the tape to adhere to. I used a water based acrylic clear coat mixed with talc (50/50). Sanded it down and repeat. Applying the tape did not take that long but it is a labor of love. Overall, applying the panel lines took several nights of work. Also, if it does not stick properly you're going to need to re-apply it, a coat of the clear coat (no talc) over the tape will help it stay down.

Vic
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:19 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Many different ways to do panel lines, this is one, another is use a soft lead pencil and a straight edge. for the weathering, rub the line some,, do a little practice on scrap, you'll be surprised how easy it is.. Also they can be done with an airbrush, light and easy does it... good luck. w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:03 PM
Joined Jan 2012
146 Posts
Cheers vic,,
Cheers waltjg

Going to give this a go on a scrap piece if I can do it with out it looking crap then panel lines it is
Thanks cliff