SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:10 PM
kings lynn, norfolk uk
Joined Sep 2007
597 Posts
This is where im at, didnt get as far as id like to, this is, with one coat of wbpu & micro balloons, not flattened off yet. dont think i used enough micro balloons though.
Im annoyed i glued the wing on upside down, now i have the bad side on top. Looks quite rough at the minute, but im sure with some paint it will look a lot better.

one problem i have, i cant seem to get both motors to start at the same time, one doesnt kick in till nearly quarter throttle, when there running the one is makeing more power than the other, as if you hold the palne by the nose, you can feel it trying to tilt, anyone got any ideas on this.
peter24 is offline Find More Posts by peter24
Last edited by peter24; Mar 11, 2012 at 05:20 PM. Reason: spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:50 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Peter, sounds like you need to reprogram your esc's. Do one at a time and see if that will cure your issue. Looking good there w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:17 PM
kings lynn, norfolk uk
Joined Sep 2007
597 Posts
THanks Walt, will try re programming. Once I get the wbpu flatted down, and some paint on, Im hoping it will look better, learnt some new things on this build, and better ways of doing things which I will try on the raptor Im building next.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:52 AM
if its not broke,fix it anyway
United Kingdom, England, Coventry
Joined Jan 2012
146 Posts
Hi peter24 just a quicky I read some were on here that ESC's need the same software, if you have an esc that is a year old and then you buy a new one of the same, the software could be different . Hence the start up issue
Biffda is offline Find More Posts by Biffda
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:35 PM
kings lynn, norfolk uk
Joined Sep 2007
597 Posts
Thanks biffda, think I have it sorted now, i reprogrammed the throttle ranges seperatly on each esc. They dont start at exactly the same time, but its with in a couple of clicks of the throttle. I have now coated the whole plane in wbpu, going to try and maiden this week, if all goes well then i will paint it. I've also fixed my little p40 and my 450 heli today oh and got all the bits for the f22 cut. Had a day off work today so had some time to kill.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:51 AM
kings lynn, norfolk uk
Joined Sep 2007
597 Posts
Quick update, on my progress, if your looking at the plane from the top standing at the front, i have both motors spinning the same way, anti clockwise i believe, with the props mounted on backwards, the plane has plenty of push, it was nearly hovering in my hands at half throttle, my question is, should the motors spin in opposite directions, to cancel each others torque, and if so do i have to have one prop pulling and pushing?

As the weather has been rubbish i thought i would paint it, its not brilliant but looks better than it did, need to finish canopy, i have used the kids water based paint, as was wondering if i brush a coat of floor varnish over it,to seal it will the paint smudge?

heres a couple of pics.
thanks peter
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:07 AM
Seattle, USA
Joined Oct 2009
899 Posts
Peter, nice job.

If you go with counter-rotating propellers, you'll want to get a different prop -- a 'pusher' for the motor that rotates in the other direction. It too will be mounted 'backwards', i.e., numbers toward the front of the plane.

I doubt that water-based polyurethene would smear the underlying paint, but the safest way is to test on a scrap piece of foam you've painted the same way.
jeffsch is offline Find More Posts by jeffsch
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:38 PM
Pushing the Limits of FFF
United States, CA, Sierra Madre
Joined Jun 2005
1,190 Posts
Peter,

If you are worried about smearing the paint, they do make a WB poly that is a spray on, or at least they do here in the states. I use is all the time over poster type latex paints and it works great. Nice job on the painting....

John
wirbech is offline Find More Posts by wirbech
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:57 PM
kings lynn, norfolk uk
Joined Sep 2007
597 Posts
Thanks for the ideas, I was aiming to just brush it on, as i all ready have the stuff, rather than buy some more spray, think I will do a test piece as advised above, if it does smudge then i will have to buy a spray sealer,
Old Mar 18, 2012, 12:32 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,616 Posts
GREAT looking model, peter24! Regarding the motors, it's better to get a pusher prop (reverse pitch) prop for one of the motors and have the props be counter-rotating. That eliminates prop torque issues and makes the model fly smoother. However, if you can't or don't want to do so, it will fly fine with both motors spinning the same direction. You'll just have to be more careful with the throttle and apply it more smoothly and slowly.
jetset44 is online now Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Mar 18, 2012, 01:17 PM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,996 Posts
That looks great Peter. Well done!
T3chDad is offline Find More Posts by T3chDad
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Flight Log v4.0 Progress...
Old Mar 18, 2012, 01:31 PM
kings lynn, norfolk uk
Joined Sep 2007
597 Posts
thanks for the positive comments, just waiting for my test piece to dry, to see if brushing varnish over the top smears the paint, then its waiting for a decent day to maiden it.
Auw is now a tad under 35oz, which i believe isnt to bad for a 36" span,
Old Mar 18, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined Jan 2012
146 Posts
Nice looking jet peter24,,, How much you got left to do?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 04:24 PM
Joined Jan 2012
146 Posts
T3chdad are you still flying your su37
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:56 AM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffda View Post
T3chdad are you still flying your su37
She is still down for "repairs".
T3chDad is offline Find More Posts by T3chDad
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Flight Log v4.0 Progress...