HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2011, 08:26 AM
United States, PA, Easton
Joined Dec 2010
334 Posts
Jan, i am itching for a flight after seeing that!
I am almost there! I could fly with a single 2200 4s but it would be short. So, I will fine tune: Thanks Vicentel for the help!
Shumate su37 120% Scale Build Update (1 min 54 sec)
f1wanabe is offline Find More Posts by f1wanabe
Last edited by f1wanabe; Sep 20, 2011 at 08:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2011, 08:32 AM
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined May 2007
1,028 Posts
Looks great!
wilmracer is offline Find More Posts by wilmracer
Old Sep 20, 2011, 09:11 AM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,764 Posts
f1, Next time you order Li-Pos try Sky Li-Pos from Hobbypartzs .. You will recieve them in 3 or 4 days.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/skylipo40c.html
alpea 41 is online now Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Sep 20, 2011, 09:18 AM
Fly Low Fly Fast Fly Often
Glendale, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhi View Post
Thanks! My nephew is a worthy recipient for sure. He is a professional helicopter pilot and I expect a lot from him . I was not disappointed...

I am a relatively new pilot, and getting a little old for this I think (64), so I am not sure I can handle such a fast plane.

By the way - good luck with your maiden!!

Still 59 minutes remaining video upload...

/Jan
Hi Jan, Very nice plane, well done. Now you must make one for yourself.
Never too old to fly it. Build it and you will fly it. She flies like a glider if you reduce the power and moves like a rocket when you give it power.

I am itching to get my 2 year old Su back out now that it is less than 100 degrees in Airzona. Batteries get just a bit too warm in the summer out here.

Here is the post with some slow speed and high speed flying.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1677

Cheers, John
jjr2001 is offline Find More Posts by jjr2001
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:42 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
John,,, like your landing gear and how your plane performed.. about all of my damage comes from hand launches, I've been thinking along time about gear, but will venture along with retracts before long! Nice plane! w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:41 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2010
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1wanabe View Post
Jan, i am itching for a flight after seeing that!
I am almost there! I could fly with a single 2200 4s but it would be short. So, I will fine tune: Thanks Vicentel for the help!
You're very welcome indeed. I am glad to help any way I can. I'm just so jazzed that someone else besides me is doing this. Just for grins I tried the jet with a 3s 2700mAh 30C pack to see what kind of power I could get. The system still draws 66amps, which the battery has no problem of supplying, but the amount of thrust is less than 52oz. However, I think it will still fly but you would probably be at full throttle all the time. I want to catapult launch this plane but I'm too afraid to.

Vic
vicentel is offline Find More Posts by vicentel
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:09 PM
Joined Dec 2010
334 Posts
I cringe every time someone mentions catapult! I visited the local flying field and it was like a 3 stooges skit- 3 guys trying to catapult a flying wing! Needless to say, it never went airborne and finally the motor mount let loose and they walked away swearing about it! I will add a throw handle on the bottom. I mentioned it before, but the JMW Tornado has one that makes launching easy. I added carbon rods across the nacelles for support and will put a depron handle across it at cg point. It allows an overhead launch with plenty of force.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:22 PM
Fly Low Fly Fast Fly Often
Glendale, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltjg View Post
John,,, like your landing gear and how your plane performed.. about all of my damage comes from hand launches, I've been thinking along time about gear, but will venture along with retracts before long! Nice plane! w.
Hi Walt, I agree with the hand launch being hazardous to the planes health..Ha Ha. I have done my share of "hand launch crashes"..My best was a 96" sailplane which I demolished due to too much motor torque and a somewhat less than level launch...Live and learn...It's all fun.

LG is great from asphalt but the weight is a consideration, my Su 37 is just a bit portly with all that paint and the added gear but she flies great. I just keep a couple of sets of props on hand.

One thing I added to help prevent banging the props was two fins on the underside of the "engine exhausts" that are long enough to scrape first and usually protect the props..Kinda like training skids...LOL

Cheers to all that build and this fine plane,
John
jjr2001 is offline Find More Posts by jjr2001
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:52 PM
jhi
Norway
Joined Jun 2009
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjr2001 View Post
Hi Jan, Very nice plane, well done. Now you must make one for yourself.
Never too old to fly it. Build it and you will fly it. She flies like a glider if you reduce the power and moves like a rocket when you give it power.

I am itching to get my 2 year old Su back out now that it is less than 100 degrees in Airzona. Batteries get just a bit too warm in the summer out here.

Here is the post with some slow speed and high speed flying.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1677

Cheers, John
John,
Nice video from your flying the SU, always interesting to see new places! I remember your plane from last winter when reading this forum and building the Sukhoi (and sanding!!). Please post video when you go fly again.

I just finished my second Polaris, and I am about to repair my first one. I would like to build another SU37, but for now I am happy with what I got. Too many projects and too little time! My nephew and I also built each our Quadrocopter last spring, lots of fiddeling with electronics and programming - interesting but time consuming. And first of all I like to go out and fly when weather is nice - not too often around here at this time of year...

/Jan
jhi is online now Find More Posts by jhi
Old Sep 20, 2011, 01:51 PM
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined May 2007
1,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1wanabe View Post
I cringe every time someone mentions catapult! I visited the local flying field and it was like a 3 stooges skit- 3 guys trying to catapult a flying wing! Needless to say, it never went airborne and finally the motor mount let loose and they walked away swearing about it! I will add a throw handle on the bottom. I mentioned it before, but the JMW Tornado has one that makes launching easy. I added carbon rods across the nacelles for support and will put a depron handle across it at cg point. It allows an overhead launch with plenty of force.
I love my bungee setup, but I admit it is a pain to drag out every time. I built it a week after my first prop strike when launching one of my larger pushers... 9 stitches and a bloody car ride home convinced me it was a good idea
wilmracer is offline Find More Posts by wilmracer
Old Sep 20, 2011, 02:15 PM
Joined Feb 2010
1,695 Posts
F1, great work!!!
Doushiyou12 is offline Find More Posts by Doushiyou12
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:36 PM
Joined Dec 2010
334 Posts
Thanks! Waiting is hell. I have flown rtf's, RCPowers and JMW score and folds-13 planes total- and i never took more than 3 Days to build. This plane is a work of art as well as a plane and i am on week 3! Will balance edf blades and... Sand some more until batteries arrive. It will be a very special day when it finally flies!
Old Sep 21, 2011, 06:44 PM
Joined Dec 2010
334 Posts
So, Batteries have arrived, programming is done, weather is bad. Here is my edf test. I always wanted to do this so please bear with me....

Shumate su37 EDF Test (0 min 43 sec)
Old Sep 21, 2011, 07:14 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Hey F1! looks good and looks like it got enough punch to do the trick! Maybe tomorrow will be a better day.. Good luck when the time comes!!! I might be maidening one myself tomorrow too...(i hate maiden flights).. w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Sep 21, 2011, 08:33 PM
Joined Dec 2010
334 Posts
What will you be flying? An su37?