Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorgos View Post
fantastic build and great flight !!!
I have start the construction of a 125% bird
without vectored thrust
but i haven't decide about the setup
edf fans or pusher motor?
what do you guys think ?????
At that size you should be able to fit twin 70mm edfs and definitely go with thrust vectoring. I was always partial to edf...looks way cooler.
vicentel is offline Find More Posts by vicentel
Old Aug 21, 2011, 02:28 PM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Belfast
Joined Jun 2011
335 Posts
Vicentel that bird is real cool. have you had her out and tried the TV settings? seems like a real smooth flyer as well.

I have for the past year considered myself a ww2 warbird man but from the time I started this hobby I have been drawn to building jets. Park jets. I mean c'mon you can always fly one of these things in a nearby park and you don't always get the time to go all the way out to the flying field. Steve has designed some great jets. I started out with the RCpowers easybuilds and they fly very well and look good too but Steve has gone over the top designing these near scale models for us to build, fly and enjoy. Thanks a million man. I haven't yet but will donate to your depron fund.

At the moment I am 25% of the way through this build. It's not as challenging as the tomcat was, so far that is, and yet I have made a mistake already but easy enough to fix. My bird won't be TV. It will be a single inrunner attached to the rear with a 4.1x4.1 prop on a 2300mah 3s lipo. I'm gonna need a sixty amp ESC though as she pulls 49amps and 470 watts. so roughly 235 watts per lbs Talk about screaming. I'll post a pic when she is done.

Steve I know you don't have time at the moment and sure everyone wants you to design thier favourite jet for them but... an F-84 wouldn't go amiss.

Thanks again
Shane Sunday is online now Find More Posts by Shane Sunday
Old Aug 22, 2011, 01:01 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,612 Posts
Glad to hear you've enjoyed the plans, Shane! Fantastic work on your F-14, by the way, it really looks slick. Especially with all that great panel line detailing.

The Thud would be a fun project, but if I had the time my next project would be the new Sukhoi T-50. But it'll be awhile before I have the time...
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Aug 24, 2011, 07:31 AM
United States, PA, Easton
Joined Dec 2010
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorgos View Post
fantastic build and great flight !!!
I have start the construction of a 125% bird
without vectored thrust
but i haven't decide about the setup
edf fans or pusher motor?
what do you guys think ?????
Im right there with you! I have built all the rcpowers planes and 2 JMW planes ( which are spectacular) and have considered this plane to be my ultimate project. I have just cut the main wing of my 120% build! I had planned on 2 mjv3 motors and designed the 3 axis tv mounts for them. Then i figured, if im going to push my boundaries with a aerobatic tv plane like this, i may as well go all the way. All it took was seeing vicentel's video of the 120% with twin 64's and the 360 degree nozzles that whatmovesyou recommended to make my mind up. If you have done many pusherprop planes and consider this plane special, go all the way. Vicentel has already been very helpful, and after reading this thread front to back, i feel confident it will be a very special plane. If you want to play it safe, you can't beat twin mjv3's on 6x4 props. They will have enough thrust and very good flight time from one 3s battery. Also, the 20 amp esc's and mjv3's come in at a pretty low weight. The only concern i have with the twin edf plane is intake damage due to landing a 40 oz plane on its belly. Luckily my flying field has 6 inch tall grass.
f1wanabe is offline Find More Posts by f1wanabe
Old Aug 25, 2011, 04:07 AM
Joined Jun 2011
335 Posts
Hey there F1 fancy seeing you here. You will really enjoy this build. It really is a lot of fun. May I suggest tissue and finishing resin for the underbelly on the build? I have used it on the canards and vert stabs and even together they can't be weighed. Sure if you have digital scales they can. Check out T3chdads linkages for control surfaces they are stellar.

Would anyone know how much flight time I might get out of a 3s 2300mah lipo hooked up to an inrunner putting out 470 watts and 49 amps?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 07:12 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
About 3 minutes, and two weeks... That lipo's in dire need of retirement!
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:38 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2010
255 Posts
Design so nice I built it twice

Hey Guys,

I decided to make the Su-27 variant using Steve's design, only this time...you guessed it, I'm converting it to twin EDFs Here are the specs

wingspan: 30"
edf: 2x 55mm EDFs (static thrust 32oz)
motor: 2x 4300KV
ESC: 2x 30Amp
Battery: 3S 2200-2600 mAh 30C
Servos: 2-elevon mix, 1-rudder

I will not be implementing at thrust vectoring system on this plane. I want to save as much weight as possible and keep the wing loading to about 14oz/sq ft.
Last edited by vicentel; Aug 25, 2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 01:37 PM
Joined Jun 2011
335 Posts
Well the build is done and I have some paint on it as well. Nuthing special at the moment. I've set her up with elevons and ailerons. Using a V-tail mixer on the elevon and linking it into the elevator and rudder channels then on the TX mixed 30% rudder into the ailerons which can be turned on and off via the mix switch. I am using a 4.5x4.5 prop on an inrunner powered by either a 3000 mah lipo of the 3700 mah lipo. I have two of each so hopefully I will get 5 mins out of them but will start with 4 min flights. AUW with lipo is 30 oz. This is heavier than stated on the plans but still 2 oz shy of the 2lbs mark I was trying not to hit. I have re-enforced the elevators with sheets of 1.5 balsa and doubled up the wing with 3mm depron. I'll post pics when I have some detail on her. Next is to get a flight out of it. Fingers crossed.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 03:54 PM
Joined Aug 2010
255 Posts
Some more pictures of the progress of this plane. I was able to weigh it and spool up the EDFs to get a feel of the kind of thrust I have and was pleasantly surprised...

AUW - 808g or 28.5 oz
Static Thrust - 32 oz
Amp draw - 53 Amps (peak)
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:08 AM
Joined Aug 2010
255 Posts
Su-27 EDF conversion Maiden!

I finally got the chance to maiden the plane. The initial impressions...
  • fast, very fast
  • very nose heavy, need to move the battery more aft
  • due to the nose heavyness I have to add a lot of up trim

Suhumate Su-27 55mm EDf Conversion (1 min 59 sec)
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:34 AM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,935 Posts
Great job man!
T3chDad is offline Find More Posts by T3chDad
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Flight Log Update!
Old Aug 30, 2011, 12:18 PM
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined May 2007
1,002 Posts
Wonderful! Looks like you'll have a great flyer when you get the CG dialed in!
wilmracer is offline Find More Posts by wilmracer
Old Aug 30, 2011, 02:06 PM
Joined Aug 2010
255 Posts
Thanks! As expected the TV makes a HUGE difference in the maneuverability of the model. This Su-27 variant w/o TV makes huge sweeping turns compared to my larger heavier Su-37 with TV. I have to say I've been spoiled by EDFs with TV, it makes flying in a park so much better, tighter turns etc. in tight spaces. Anyway I guess all that was to be expected, I just have to adjust my flying is all.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:40 AM
Joined Aug 2010
255 Posts
Sooo...I finally got it all trimmed out and flying straight, level, no rolling tendencies and I ran into a tree I mistakenly reduced the throttle and decided to turn and began to nose into the ground. I did manage to recover from the nose dive but ended up in a tree instead. Anyway I repaired her and began the shaping process. Here are some pix of the repaired bird and the sanding-spackling.