HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2011, 04:23 PM
Dunedin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
191 Posts
Nice maiden romihensem, any maiden your plane survives is a good one! It didn't look toooo slow, the speed even looked scale in places. And the shakey hands is just from the adrenalin we all love.
JMSR is offline Find More Posts by JMSR
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2011, 05:08 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,546 Posts
Good job on the maiden and the video. You need to clear those spectators off the runway so you can land

I'm sorry that the retracts didn't work out for you. They looked really cool.

Color scheme and paint job looks good to me!

Also, I've been shaking so bad when flying a new plane that my eyes start twitching! Your hands didn't look bad at all
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Jul 13, 2011, 05:12 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSR View Post
Had a good weekend spackling and sanding and spackling and sanding spackling and sanding.... just about done. Sneak peak time.
Is it finished yet.......
We might have some nice soft snow this weekend.... perfect for a maiden
-Reuben
ben199 is offline Find More Posts by ben199
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:13 AM
Flyboys Singapore
Singapore
Joined Aug 2008
84 Posts
hmmm

hey thanx guys for yr encouraging words. of course my flight would not have been possible if not for all of yr encouraging builds and steve's wonderful plans.

@steve, thats wat i thought too. moving the main gear forward will help to ease the takeoff but i discover it will also limit my pitch angle to the very minimum so as to clear the prop from hitting the ground. so i had decided to place it as forward as possible while still giving me some clearance for the prop during takeoff in case of sudden pitch up moment.

@waltjg, i'm planning to get a new set of servoless retracts to try on my next su37 build. just notice my lhs has brought it in and its available now. but its only for the main gears so i still need the current nose gear retracts but at least it cuts the number of servos down.

@jmsr, thanx bro. i also actually prefer that speed but i feel it doesnt have ebough reserve power cause i feel like i'm on max throttle which i normally use bout 2/3 throttle on same setup with my previous planes.

@cmala, yup, next time i need to make sure the excited spectators make some room for me. hehehe btw can i confirmed whether its u who make the scheme? i kinda stumble across this scheme but cant remember on which page its on. sometimes when my adrenalin pumps up during maiden, my eyes get teary just by concentrating on the plane so much to avoid crashes. lol
romihensem is offline Find More Posts by romihensem
Old Jul 13, 2011, 03:34 PM
Dunedin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben199 View Post
Is it finished yet.......
We might have some nice soft snow this weekend.... perfect for a maiden
-Reuben
Haha, not yet. It took me a long time shaping to be happy with the shape. And then I realised I should really glass the top half so I could sort the cockpit and install the elevons without having to do patches of glass, so that took a bit of time as well. I'm back into installing running gear now, and the underside will be finished soon after. I'll post some pics when I get home from work today. Although, because everything is white it's a little hard to see the work gone into it.

I've got a spit roast party to go to on Sat night up north so I might not be flying Sunday morn. Had alot of busy weekends lately so I may still flag the spit and come for a fly. Will certainly be there Sat morn if it's clear and calm, no maiden though.
Last edited by JMSR; Jul 13, 2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 03:24 AM
Dunedin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
191 Posts
Top half shaped and glassed.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 04:30 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
855 Posts
Nice work its really taking shape!!!
ben199 is offline Find More Posts by ben199
Old Jul 14, 2011, 05:53 AM
Flyboys Singapore
Singapore
Joined Aug 2008
84 Posts
hmmm

wow very sleek and nice jmsr. what scheme are u putting on this beauty?
romihensem is offline Find More Posts by romihensem
Old Jul 14, 2011, 05:39 PM
Dunedin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
191 Posts
This is the livery I'm thinking of using, it's based on the C.O.B.R.A faction from G.I.JOE. A nice bit of nostalgia from my childhood. If I do go ahead with it the underside will be mostly white to keep visual oreintation from being a problem.
Old Aug 03, 2011, 11:46 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2010
255 Posts
120% Shumate Su-37 EDF

I've modified Steve Shumate's (jetset44) S.U.-37 plans to allow for twin 64mm edfs. Currently the plane has the following specs:

wingspan: 35.5"
edf: 2x 64mm EDFs
motor: 2x 3500KV
ESC: 2x 45Amp
Battery: 4S 3300 mAh 35C (actually with this power setup the current draw is 63Amps, so at 3300mA a 20C is fine)
Servos: ail (2), elv (2), rud (2) thrust vector (3 servos, yaw, pitch, roll on 2 TV nozzles)
Nozzles from Hobby-Lobby Su-34 (you can buy 2 plus a servo for $20)

Here are some pictures:
vicentel is offline Find More Posts by vicentel
Last edited by vicentel; Aug 03, 2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old Aug 03, 2011, 12:09 PM
Joined Aug 2010
255 Posts
120% Shumate Su-37 EDF

I finally got it to a point where I can maiden it. AUW is 53oz, but it has more than its weight in static thrust. The final specs are:

9 servos - 2 Ail, 2 Elv, 2 Rudder, 3 TV servos
Battery - 4S 3300mAh 35C
wingspan - 35"
edf - 2x 64mm EDFs
motor - 2x 3500KV
ESC - 2x 45Amp
AUW - 53oz

120% Shumate Su-37 twin 64mm EDF (2 min 44 sec)
Old Aug 03, 2011, 01:51 PM
United States, HI, Kapolei
Joined Jan 2007
1,440 Posts
congratulations, excellent maiden
smkn951 is offline Find More Posts by smkn951
Old Aug 04, 2011, 09:46 AM
hammer slammer
huntington beach, CA
Joined Sep 2005
521 Posts
Vicentel those nozzles are sick!

Need me some of those!

$20 dollars seams like a steal!
miljnor is offline Find More Posts by miljnor
Old Aug 04, 2011, 10:03 AM
hammer slammer
huntington beach, CA
Joined Sep 2005
521 Posts
Those nozzles are on sale for 9.99 with servo. right now!
miljnor is offline Find More Posts by miljnor
Old Aug 04, 2011, 10:58 AM
Joined Aug 2010
255 Posts
120% Shumate Su-37 EDF

I got the paint scheme started. I like Ace Combat's Yellow 13 paint scheme. it also seems to be a popular one here. Not an exact match to the actual scheme but you get the point. I will be adding missiles, panel lines, insignia and weathering to complete the model.