SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 30, 2011, 03:49 PM
Dunedin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
191 Posts
Thanks T3chDad, a range of home made custom sanding blocks and sponge blocks had a big part to play, well worth it. I've had a week away from it but on holiday next week so I'm chomping at the bit so to hoe into it.

rcjim11, T3chDad is right, when the plane is upside-down, 3mm triangular piece points fowards and sits where the intakes have a 3mm gap/slot to the wing, the other 3mm piece sits on top of that, and then the 6mm piece goes behind the x2 3mm pieces.

Sorry I'm just repeating previous advice, but it's nice detail you want to get right because it looks very effective.
JMSR is offline Find More Posts by JMSR
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2011, 04:08 PM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,935 Posts
Here's the pictures I forgot to take during lunchtime flying... Hope this helps clear it up for you.
T3chDad is offline Find More Posts by T3chDad
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Flight Log Update!
Old Jul 02, 2011, 03:15 PM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
844 Posts
Very helpful, thanks guys. I just glued them on. The problem is that I made the plane from grey depron and my 3mm is white, but hey I can paint it
Jim
rcjim11 is offline Find More Posts by rcjim11
Old Jul 02, 2011, 09:01 PM
Flyboys Singapore
Singapore
Joined Aug 2008
84 Posts
hmmm

i finally got my bec and finished setting up my plane. but i seem to have quite a heavy plane. maybe thats the price to pay for fixing the retracts. i end up with an AUW of 970 grams. my cg ends up about 1 cm in front of the recommended cg. do u think this will be a problem? gonna maiden it today. hopefully everything goes well.... will submit a video if my fren able to capture it later today...
romihensem is offline Find More Posts by romihensem
Old Jul 08, 2011, 10:14 AM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
844 Posts
Has anyone got some good ideas for a paint scheme?
I have to install the elevons now and do some finishing touches to the sanding before the maiden!! Its getting exciting
Old Jul 08, 2011, 03:59 PM
United Kingdom, England, Northd
Joined Nov 2005
917 Posts
Here's some.
simonslim is offline Find More Posts by simonslim
Old Jul 08, 2011, 10:55 PM
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined May 2007
999 Posts
Not a scale scheme, but I like mine
wilmracer is online now Find More Posts by wilmracer
Old Jul 10, 2011, 01:06 AM
Flyboys Singapore
Singapore
Joined Aug 2008
84 Posts
hmmm

maiden dont go too well last sun. will be getting the video from my fren today so will upload it either tonight or tomorrow.

today will be remaidening the plane. i went for the scheme that someone does, if i'm not wrong its cmala i think. decided to go for this scheme cause its the only paint i have left and i really need the paint for orientation cause last sun prob occurs with orientation. hehehe mine is the look good from far concept. hopefully remaiden went well today....
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:49 AM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
844 Posts

I really like that one simon, very nice!
Jim
Old Jul 10, 2011, 01:36 PM
Joined Nov 2005
917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjim11 View Post

I really like that one simon, very nice!
Jim
I was tempted to go with that one myself but I had some tan and brown.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 05:00 AM
Flyboys Singapore
Singapore
Joined Aug 2008
84 Posts
hmmm

finally maiden video up. lots of issues i encounter which i think mainly due to the retracts. it added too much weight due to the 3 servos used for the retracts alone + wiring and bec. and the gear doors was left bare open which may cause lots of drag. and also the cg was a bit too front. all in all i felt it was really underpowered adding my shaky hands which i couldnt get it to calm down. lol... anyway have remaidened it successfully without the retracts and also with the paint. Now it has been handed over to a fren. hope she's in good hands...

SU37 Terminator Parkjet Maiden (5 min 27 sec)
Old Jul 11, 2011, 05:25 AM
Joined Nov 2005
917 Posts
Great video, I would love to try retracts on mine but the extra weight would make it not worth the effort. I know what it's like with the hands shaking on a maiden.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 05:58 AM
Flyboys Singapore
Singapore
Joined Aug 2008
84 Posts
hmmm

hey simon, i encourage the retract thing but i recommend using the servoless to save weight. and also try to make working gear doors to reduce drag. might retry with servoless retracts on future builds. credit goes to steve for the brilliant plans... now working on his f18 builds. hehehe
Old Jul 11, 2011, 07:41 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by romihensem View Post
finally maiden video up. lots of issues i encounter which i think mainly due to the retracts. it added too much weight due to the 3 servos used for the retracts alone + wiring and bec. and the gear doors was left bare open which may cause lots of drag. and also the cg was a bit too front. all in all i felt it was really underpowered adding my shaky hands which i couldnt get it to calm down. lol... anyway have remaidened it successfully without the retracts and also with the paint. Now it has been handed over to a fren. hope she's in good hands...
Congrats on the successful maiden! Yes, the model did look a bit slow, but is probably due the things you mentioned. Also, your main landing gear is pretty far aft, which will make it difficult to rotate the airplane for takeoff. Moving the gear forward will help the model take off much easier.

Thanks for the fun video!

Steve
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Jul 11, 2011, 09:14 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Rom, good vid, nice looking plane. I really like the retracts, I have a couple of sets of the servoless ones waiting for a plane in the shop, trying to decide on which one.. Really don't like the hand launching, bungee is ok, but that too has it 's drawbacks... good luck on your F18! w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg