Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 24, 2011, 02:22 AM
Flyboys Singapore
Singapore
Joined Aug 2008
84 Posts
hmmm

sorry heres the vid to the 2 retarct door mechanism i'm referring to...

MIG-21 landing gear doors (7 min 37 sec)

RCLander F2B & F16 modified gear doors system.wmv (1 min 30 sec)
romihensem is offline Find More Posts by romihensem
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2011, 07:32 AM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,921 Posts
Nice job Simon! Well done. I've only got about 15 flights on mine.
T3chDad is offline Find More Posts by T3chDad
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Flight Log Update!
Old Jun 24, 2011, 07:35 AM
Flyboys Singapore
Singapore
Joined Aug 2008
84 Posts
hmmm

after 3 days of 2 hrs each trying to fix the gear doors mechanism, i have finally given up and set on just baring it open. i have come to a conclusion for me that i either need a higher torque servo for the retracts or by adding additional servo for the door which both i opted out of.

btw, need yr kind assist on a question. i'm now using 3 servos for my retracts, 2 for ailerons, 1 for elevator and 1 for steering. do i need a separate bec for this setup? i know that anything more than 4 servos recommends u to use a bec but i'm not sure do i need one since the 3 retracts servos will not be used often. basically just to on and off....
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:05 AM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,921 Posts
I would use a separate BEC. Even though the retract servos won't be used that often, they have the potential to have the most current draw. I wouldn't want to hit my retract switch and then have a brown-out as a result. Better safe than sorry after all the hard work you've put into it. It's definitely worth the $20-30 for peace of mind IMO...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:19 AM
A posse ad esse
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Feb 2011
917 Posts
I concur with this advice 100%. In my opinion, a separate BEC is necessary. Weight is an issue, but is something best considered in the initial planning stages of any particular model to be built.

I like your work. You have put a lot of thought and effort into your model and it shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3chDad View Post
I would use a separate BEC. Even though the retract servos won't be used that often, they have the potential to have the most current draw. I wouldn't want to hit my retract switch and then have a brown-out as a result. Better safe than sorry after all the hard work you've put into it. It's definitely worth the $20-30 for peace of mind IMO...
daddyrabbit1954 is offline Find More Posts by daddyrabbit1954
Old Jun 24, 2011, 07:34 PM
Flyboys Singapore
Singapore
Joined Aug 2008
84 Posts
hmmm

thnx guys. looks like bec is the way to go. another quick question will a 3A bec be adequate?

@techdad, i was actually scared of that scenario too. retract switch will also act loike a suicide switch

@drabbit, thanx for the comp bro. just trying my best on this one. lots of patience needed on the sanding though but i think i'm still far from having the patience and skills needed... hehehe
Old Jun 25, 2011, 03:02 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Very nice build and informative video. Keep up the good work and very best of luck to you. Looking good so far!! I have wanted to add some retracts to 1 or 2 of my belly floppers for a while so this type of info is very helpful. Apologies if you have already stated earlier, but what type/size of Retract and wheels are you using on your Mig? Thanks.
electriceye is offline Find More Posts by electriceye
Old Jun 25, 2011, 07:43 PM
Flyboys Singapore
Singapore
Joined Aug 2008
84 Posts
hmmm

oh oh... now i'm feeling a bit embarassed. so sorry guys but the 2 video of the mig and f16 doesnt belong to me. i scout it on the internet for retract ideas. and all this while i thought drabbit was referring to my plane. lol
Old Jun 26, 2011, 01:26 AM
Dunedin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
191 Posts
Had a good weekend spackling and sanding and spackling and sanding spackling and sanding.... just about done. Sneak peak time.
JMSR is offline Find More Posts by JMSR
Old Jun 26, 2011, 01:50 AM
Flyboys Singapore
Singapore
Joined Aug 2008
84 Posts
hmmm

wow nice curves jmsr... looking really nice and sleek. so u going for twin setup with tv i presume. which skin are u going to put on this baby...
Old Jun 26, 2011, 02:45 AM
Dunedin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
191 Posts
Thanks man, I'm going to glass it. I'm saving a lot of weight with the set up, so I figured why not.
JMSR is offline Find More Posts by JMSR
Old Jun 30, 2011, 03:36 AM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
844 Posts
Once you start sanding this thing really looks good!
rcjim11 is online now Find More Posts by rcjim11
Old Jun 30, 2011, 06:57 AM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,921 Posts
Nice job JMSR! That's a really professional job.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:01 AM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
844 Posts
The inlet diverter triangles are stuck to another 3mm piece, when stuck to the nacelle top bit/fuse is the triangle on top/bottom facing towards the front or back? And is the 6mm piece glued on top of that inside the nacelle or what???
Thanks
Jim
rcjim11 is online now Find More Posts by rcjim11
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:17 AM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjim11 View Post
The inlet diverter triangles are stuck to another 3mm piece, when stuck to the nacelle top bit/fuse is the triangle on top/bottom facing towards the front or back? And is the 6mm piece glued on top of that inside the nacelle or what???
Thanks
Jim
Front...see this explanation.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1871

6mm piece is glued behind it (more inside). It should almost be flush. I'll get a picture for you at lunch...
RCG Plus Member