SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 19, 2011, 03:57 PM
North weald Wing
Åfjord, Norway
Joined Jan 2010
40 Posts
[QUOTE=T3chDad;18248599]I discovered this late in the construction of mine. If they are available to you, microballoons are WAY better than talc/baby powder for mixing with WBPU. It is SO much lighter. Arguably, it's more dangerous for inhaling than talc, so if you go that route be sure to do your sanding outside with a mask.[/QUOTE

How much microballons do you add the wbpu?, and do you use microballons in every coat? I'm planning to not use epoxy for my depronjets anymore:-) and this sounds interesting.

Terje
thaltis is offline Find More Posts by thaltis
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2011, 05:39 PM
United Kingdom, England, Northd
Joined Nov 2005
917 Posts
I managed to get my canards sorted out today. Will be fitting the ailerons tomorrow.
SU 37 Terminator.wmv (0 min 28 sec)
simonslim is offline Find More Posts by simonslim
Old May 20, 2011, 06:40 PM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaltis View Post
How much microballons do you add the wbpu?, and do you use microballons in every coat? I'm planning to not use epoxy for my depronjets anymore:-) and this sounds interesting.

Terje
I did not use the microballoons over the entire model. I only used them on the last pass to get any dents/holes/scrapes I missed on the previous passes. I mixed it pretty thick for that. I don't know the ratio....sorry. I mixed it to about the consistency of cake batter. The first coat over the whole model would be a thin pancake batter. I hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonslim View Post
I managed to get my canards sorted out today. Will be fitting the ailerons tomorrow.
SEXY!!!!
T3chDad is online now Find More Posts by T3chDad
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Flight Log v4.0 Progress...
Old May 20, 2011, 06:47 PM
United States, HI, Kapolei
Joined Jan 2007
1,440 Posts
great simon. will you be incorporating TV with it too?
smkn951 is offline Find More Posts by smkn951
Old May 21, 2011, 03:18 AM
Joined Nov 2005
917 Posts
Thanks T3ch.

Thanks smkn.
The jury is still out on whether to fit TV or not, I have built foam jets in the past with TV and as I like to fly fairly scale-ish the TV did not get used to often. Soooo, the extra weight versus extra performance, I'll be deciding today as the back end will be getting looked at next.
Old May 21, 2011, 04:59 PM
Lancashire, UK
Joined Feb 2010
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5jays View Post
I am looking at building one of these and I was wondering how much of the mixing I could do with a dx7 for the thrust ventoring? And would I be able to switch it on and off with the mix switch?
Yes you can do all the TV mixing with the DX7. If you want i can send you the setting details.
wise20 is offline Find More Posts by wise20
Old May 22, 2011, 03:53 PM
Lancashire, UK
Joined Feb 2010
30 Posts
SU-37 mixes using DX7

Hi guys,

I watched Steve flying the flanker on YouTube a year ago, and since then I've been hoocked on this hobby. Now it's about time to give something back to this thread which I found very informative and helpful.

Attached is a PDF on channel assignments & mixes using a Spektrum DX7 transmitter

Regards
Kal

SU-37 mixes using DX7 (1 min 21 sec)
wise20 is offline Find More Posts by wise20
Old May 22, 2011, 06:02 PM
North weald Wing
Åfjord, Norway
Joined Jan 2010
40 Posts
I'm using DX7, so your supplied pdf of mixes to the su-37 can be very useful to my coming projects....

Terje
Old May 23, 2011, 09:58 AM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,989 Posts
Great job Kal! Thanks for sharing that info.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2011, 03:12 AM
Joined Nov 2005
917 Posts
Well just about another 17 days worth of sanding to do
It's a big bugger though. Can't decide which camo scheme to use, blue and grey or tan and brown.
Old May 25, 2011, 07:36 AM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,989 Posts
Quote:
Well just about another 17 days worth of sanding to do
I know what you mean! She's looking great though....
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2011, 05:33 AM
Joined Nov 2005
917 Posts
Well I took it out this morning and had three flights with it unpainted, and man it was nice. Smooth as a trainer on low rates and fairly agile on high rates. I am toying with the idea of retro fitting ailerons to give it a bit more in the roll department.
Old May 26, 2011, 02:09 PM
North weald Wing
Åfjord, Norway
Joined Jan 2010
40 Posts
Quote:
Well I took it out this morning and had three flights with it unpainted, and man it was nice. Smooth as a trainer on low rates and fairly agile on high rates. I am toying with the idea of retro fitting ailerons to give it a bit more in the roll department.
Steve's flying constructions never let us down. Your description of your flight took me back to my own maiden.. Did you get to shoot a video of the flight? Reckon you was all by your self at the field, but I have to ask....
Old May 26, 2011, 05:27 PM
Joined Nov 2005
917 Posts
I had a couple of flying buds there so I got a bit of video, only mobile phone stuff so not to sharp. I'll get it on youtube tomorrow.
Old May 27, 2011, 03:08 AM
Joined Nov 2005
917 Posts
Here's a couple of vids of the first launch and part of the flight. I apologies for the quality and I will make sure I take a camcorder the next time.
It ain't short of thrust, but with this motor prop set up it does not have much top end speed. I will be fitting a different motor prop today and if the weather plays ball I will try it out.
First launch of depron SU 37 Terminator (0 min 15 sec)

First flight of depron SU 37 Terminator. (1 min 7 sec)