HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2011, 07:22 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
As far as replacing the spars, if you're using WPBU, I wouldn't count on it being any stronger than plain foam. I kept my carbon rods. WPBU/glass isn't particularly strong.
The weight saving over epoxy isn't that great once you know how to work with resin. Strength/weight is certainly better with epoxy.

Don't bother watering the WPBU down, after all, most of it is water as it is. It flows out very nicely.

When shaping the fuse, use blue masking tape to protect the parts that are already glassed. 3/4oz glass doesn't protect very well, and when the tape starts to fray, you can just pull it off and put a new strip down.
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2011, 07:41 PM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,935 Posts
As Odysis says, keep the spars. It's not going to add enough weight to make it worth the sacrifice in strength.
T3chDad is offline Find More Posts by T3chDad
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Flight Log Update!
Old May 15, 2011, 07:44 PM
Dunedin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
191 Posts
Thanks guys, I'm dedicated to the WBPU because I'd already got it in preperation for the build. Still yet to start (kit should be here this week), so I'll continue to keep the ear to the ground before the final decisions are made. I'm not sure if the 'additional' spars will be included in the kit, but keeping/adding them would be fine, they would help it balance too. Will certainly be taping to protect when shaping. This is good stuff, keep it coming.
JMSR is offline Find More Posts by JMSR
Last edited by JMSR; May 15, 2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old May 15, 2011, 10:42 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Stock up on microbaloons. Makes a very nice slurry for filling rather than talc.
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old May 16, 2011, 07:18 AM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysis View Post
Stock up on microbaloons. Makes a very nice slurry for filling rather than talc.
I discovered this late in the construction of mine. If they are available to you, microballoons are WAY better than talc/baby powder for mixing with WBPU. It is SO much lighter. Arguably, it's more dangerous for inhaling than talc, so if you go that route be sure to do your sanding outside with a mask.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2011, 01:26 PM
North weald Wing
Åfjord, Norway
Joined Jan 2010
40 Posts
A video of me catapulting my Su-37. It's my first time using a catapult, and it was å sucsess. I have a error in the text, I use two GH micro parkjets. Not two parkjets. It have the speed,and lands like a trainer. I simply love this plane.

Enjoy

http://m.youtube.com/?client=mv-goog...?v=wvlPjq4zY7U
thaltis is offline Find More Posts by thaltis
Last edited by thaltis; May 16, 2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old May 16, 2011, 01:41 PM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,935 Posts
That's great! She does get nice and slow for landing.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2011, 04:19 PM
United Kingdom, England, Northd
Joined Nov 2005
917 Posts
Mine is nearly ready for fitting out with electrics. Looks rather menacing.
simonslim is online now Find More Posts by simonslim
Old May 16, 2011, 06:08 PM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,935 Posts
Looking good slim! Of course, almost anything would look menacing next to an F-22.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 17, 2011, 03:17 AM
Joined Nov 2005
917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3chDad View Post
Looking good slim! Of course, almost anything would look menacing next to an F-22.
Cheers bud, the sanding is a chore but with this one being a bit bigger than standard, I can get in with a orbital sander.
Old May 17, 2011, 02:14 PM
United States, WA, West Richland
Joined Jul 2010
69 Posts
I am looking at building one of these and I was wondering how much of the mixing I could do with a dx7 for the thrust ventoring? And would I be able to switch it on and off with the mix switch?
5jays is offline Find More Posts by 5jays
Old May 17, 2011, 03:54 PM
Joined Nov 2005
917 Posts
Don't know much about the DX7, this one's just having tailerons with perhaps ailerons retro fitted if I think it needs them.
Comin on slowly but surely.
Old May 17, 2011, 04:33 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5jays View Post
I am looking at building one of these and I was wondering how much of the mixing I could do with a dx7 for the thrust ventoring? And would I be able to switch it on and off with the mix switch?
I think you can do everything but yaw thrust vector control if I remember correctly. I didn't set that up in my DX7 and it was probably a limitation of the radio.....just didn't have enough mixes available.
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old May 17, 2011, 07:49 PM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonslim View Post
Don't know much about the DX7, this one's just having tailerons with perhaps ailerons retro fitted if I think it needs them.
Comin on slowly but surely.
It's looking great simon. You work fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5jays View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala View Post
I think you can do everything but yaw thrust vector control if I remember correctly. I didn't set that up in my DX7 and it was probably a limitation of the radio.....just didn't have enough mixes available.
According to Steve's original controls post WAY back in the thread, you need seven mixes. I think the Dx7 only has six...
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2011, 04:57 PM
Joined Nov 2005
917 Posts
Not much done today, fitted the elevators and sanded some more Not to worry, it'll be worth it in the end.