Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:59 PM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset44 View Post
It'll be worth it in the end, though!
I keep telling myself that, but it's not working. . I'm trying to make it better than the first one, but I'm running out of patients.
T3chDad is offline Find More Posts by T3chDad
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Flight Log Update!
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2011, 05:41 PM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,878 Posts
I finished sanding last night. Maiden flight was today. Got in three good flights. I still have some tweaking to do, but she flies well...right about 100mph.

Time for painting. I'll try not to take four months for that as I did with the construction, shaping and sanding.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2011, 01:27 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,567 Posts
Congrats on the successful maiden!
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Apr 23, 2011, 08:31 PM
Dunedin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
191 Posts
Hi all, I'm getting set to order one of these incredible beasts but I just have something I need to clear up before the final decision. Am I right in saying my Futaba 6EX radio can be used like so:-

2 servo + y lead = left TV + left Elevon = 1 Ch
2 servo + y lead = right TV + right Elevon = 1 Ch
1 servo = right/left rudder = 1 Ch
throttle = 1 Ch

This seems like a good way to get the most from a limited Tx. It'll be tricky setting every thing in sync, but I'm not worried about this as I had to do it, to lesser extent, for my 3mm coroplast 6mmflyrc Mig29 which flies amazing. I'll be losing the throttle driven yaw control but that's ok.

Can anyone tell me of any pitfalls I'm not seeing or suggest better arrangements. Advice will be welcome. I started looking through the thread for the best answers, but lets face it well over 100 pages of posts is alot to read!
JMSR is offline Find More Posts by JMSR
Last edited by JMSR; Apr 24, 2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 10:52 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,212 Posts
Disregard wrong Su-37 thread..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Last edited by Tram; Apr 23, 2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 10:10 AM
Germany, SN, Dresden
Joined Nov 2008
55 Posts
Successful maiden of my 120% SU-37

Hi Guys,

here is the maiden flight of my 120% SU-37.
I quite agree with wilmracer, my maidens are also very gentle and I try to check out the normal flight behavior before I start with aerobatics.
During this flight TV was disabled. Starting the SU-37 was unspectacular. Despite an AUW of about 1350g she had enough power. Most of the time she flow at about half throttle or less.
The sun was shining brightly but it was a little bit breezy and so there was no second chance to make another flight this morning.

I'm very happy with my Suzi and want to thank Steve for that fantastic construction.

Bye,
Torsten

SU-37 Super Flanker Depron Parkjet Erstflug (4 min 41 sec)
Torsten288 is offline Find More Posts by Torsten288
Last edited by Torsten288; Apr 25, 2011 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Embedding youtube video doesn't work as expected
Old Apr 25, 2011, 10:15 AM
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined May 2007
893 Posts
Looks Great! Nice maiden!
wilmracer is online now Find More Posts by wilmracer
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:27 AM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,878 Posts
Well done! Congratulations!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2011, 10:26 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,567 Posts
Congratulations, Torsten! Your model looks and flies beautiful! Very smooth launch and flying, too. You're welcome for the plans, and thanks for sharing your story and video!

Steve
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Apr 26, 2011, 04:25 PM
Украина, Киев, Киев
Joined Jan 2011
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3chDad View Post
As Clive said, Water-Based Poly Urethane. What I use is Minwax matte-finish. It's milky in appearance with no tint (white). It dries perfectly clear. Mix that about 50/50 ratio with baby powder or talcum powder. I apply it in a very thick coat and then sand most of it off. It leaves a very smooth finish ready for priming and then painting.

I hope that makes since.
Colleague, hi! I can not find on Ukraine " Water-Based Poly Urethane Minwax "(WBPU). The managers of trade ask: " Where this product " will be used. On packaging there is an instruction. If it is possible, report, that there is written. A thank
Alex1754 is offline Find More Posts by Alex1754
Old Apr 26, 2011, 04:31 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1754 View Post
Colleague, hi! I can not find on Ukraine " Water-Based Poly Urethane Minwax "(WBPU). The managers of trade ask: " Where this product " will be used. On packaging there is an instruction. If it is possible, report, that there is written. A thank
Usually it is used as a clear finish for hardwood floors or other stained wood items when you want to protect the finish of the wood but not change the color of the wood.
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Apr 26, 2011, 07:36 PM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,878 Posts
Just make sure it's water-based. If you try to use an oil-base, you'll likely end up with a pile of melted foam. If you are unsure about it, make sure you test it before you use it on your newly-built plane.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:03 AM
Germany, SN, Dresden
Joined Nov 2008
55 Posts
In Germany I also can't get WBPU Minwax. Instead Aqua Clou L10 is often used.
Here you can see what it's like.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 04:41 PM
Dunedin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
191 Posts
No reply here for my previous post, or from 6mmflyrc for quotes and power gear questions. This plane is looking like a dead duck as buying the foam in NZ to cut everything by hand is about the same price as the full kit so not cost effective. I'll give it a few more days then move on. Great shame, I was very excited.
JMSR is offline Find More Posts by JMSR
Old Apr 28, 2011, 09:45 AM
Germany, SN, Dresden
Joined Nov 2008
55 Posts
Hi JMSR,

if you have a look at the construction guide, you will find several hints to mechanically link the TV system to the stabilators and eliminate the need for separate stabilator servos. Using Y cables should also be possible but not necessary.
Steves guide says all you have to know. Especially try to position the rc equipment as far forward as possible.

Bye
Torsten