HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2007, 02:55 AM
wingman
maple valley, wa
Joined Aug 2006
26 Posts
okay so i have two designs i am working on now and they are profile scale from im-sad adn mesnicks concept creations. i will be hiding the electronics in they semi nacelles but can i get your thoughts on what would be easier in regards to the mounting of the electric engine.
paperforce is offline Find More Posts by paperforce
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2007, 01:08 PM
I've half a mind...
New Delhi, India
Joined Jul 2005
2,600 Posts
Just for the record, Steve, I'm using your plans to cut out a profile -37 and fix it up with gear stripped from a Silverlit X-twin

10 inch wingspan, trying to keep AUW under 15 grams (0.52 oz)

Let's see if it's doable.

My GF tells me I'm retrogressing

Doc
docrob is offline Find More Posts by docrob
Old May 09, 2007, 04:41 PM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrob
Just for the record, Steve, I'm using your plans to cut out a profile -37 and fix it up with gear stripped from a Silverlit X-twin
Doc
I'm sure that J would say that a few ounces of Fiberglass would fix her right up As for the Girlfriend, tell her your making it for the baby... and then Duck
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Old May 09, 2007, 05:03 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,710 Posts
Quote:

Doc
Yeah, glass it up, get that weight up to about a 25 oz WL. Would make for an interesting ride.
And wear your spectacles when flying it. It will get small real fast!

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old May 10, 2007, 04:06 AM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,134 Posts
mmh, 10 inc wingspan isn´t really big!

You don´t need much glass and paint!

HJ
Hans-Joachim is offline Find More Posts by Hans-Joachim
Old May 10, 2007, 02:50 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,614 Posts
Quote:

Doc
Cool! I take it this will be a free-flight model?
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old May 10, 2007, 04:07 PM
Sweden, Västra Götaland, Goteborg
Joined Aug 2005
718 Posts
Nope, he said he'll be using x-twin gear. You can find more info about the silverlit and Aero Ace planes in this thread, it is a cheap 2ch plane with differential thrust for the steering.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605621

They're actually great fun!

/Fredrik
Frojd is offline Find More Posts by Frojd
Old May 10, 2007, 04:59 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,614 Posts
Ahhhh, I see. Cool, I hadn't seen the x-twin before!

Doc, my hunch is you'll probably want to put some dihedral in the wings for this to work better. Dihedral will allow the yawing moment created by the motors to be turned into rolling moment to turn the model. Increasing the dihedral will also add lateral/directional stability that a reduced control model like this will need. Without added dihedral, this model will probably only skid thru turns and might even spiral into the ground...

Please post pics when done! This sounds interesting.
Old May 13, 2007, 08:00 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,614 Posts
Finished painting

Whew! More than a month after I finished building this bird, I finally finished painting it. I went with the stock (and one and only) Su-37 paint scheme--Bort 711. I chose this scheme partly because it's quite different from the usual air-superiority grey scheme and partly because it allowed me to avoid painting the bottom half of the airplane (since the original is off-white). That saved half the paint weight (about .75 oz), but just as importantly for me it cut the amount of time required to paint this bird!

The clear canopy came from 6mmflyrc, who took my original foam canopy, made a plug from it, and sent me back a clear one (thanks again, guys!). I added a few cockpit details, including a little HUD in the front (just like on my F/A-22).

Final weight with paint (and the newly added working rudders) is 27.75 oz, but unfortunately I had to add 1.25 oz nose weight for balance, so my final AUW is 29 oz even. Still quite light for this size airplane and the power of twin LSPJs.

Next step for me is to write a construction guide for the upcoming 6mmflyrc kits, and as usual I'll also create a separate version for the scratch builders and post it here. I also hope to get some flight videos shot and posted soon.

Steve
Old May 13, 2007, 08:12 PM
Hello again.
Corona, California
Joined Aug 2006
538 Posts
Nice!
f-22 maniac is offline Find More Posts by f-22 maniac
Old May 13, 2007, 08:44 PM
Joined Oct 2006
84 Posts
Wow!!!

Holy cow steve!!! That looks so rediculous!! Im just waiting for my stupid 85mg's to show up so I can finish mine up. I have everything ready to go once I get the TV setup finished...Just have to epoxy the outboard inlets in place (tv mounts all ready installed), install the vert stabs and get the rudders working. Here are the near finished pics of the front end..still have a little filling/sanding to do but it looks awsome so far!!!
boa279 is offline Find More Posts by boa279
Old May 13, 2007, 08:46 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,710 Posts
Looks great Steve, very sharp! Can't wait till Doc see this. It will get his juices flowing!

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old May 13, 2007, 09:09 PM
That thing's operational!
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Very nice work Steve, that really looks cool! Very smooth and very crisp! Way to go man, I bet it'll be even more fun to fly now.
birdlives1955 is offline Find More Posts by birdlives1955
Old May 13, 2007, 10:08 PM
Pushing the Limits of FFF
United States, CA, Sierra Madre
Joined Jun 2005
1,188 Posts
All I can say is WOW. What an great job with the painting. If it flies half as good as it looks, then it is winner, The clear canopy and the cockpit details looks geat. I just finished cutting out a 125% one about a half hour ago. This has got to be your most complicated one with the highest parts count to date. You have done masterful
job with the design. I have almost every parkjet that you have designed (most of them from 6MMflyRC. I am going to give this one a try to build off of the plans, but will probably end up getting one from them also. Not sure if I am going to run the TV. I am going to build it with only one motor though. With the larger size I want to keep the weight down. Again Steve you have out done yourself.

John
wirbech is offline Find More Posts by wirbech
Old May 13, 2007, 10:48 PM
It's a trap!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,143 Posts
Sweet paint job Steve.
GotrekGurnisson is offline Find More Posts by GotrekGurnisson