HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2002, 12:23 PM
Joined Aug 2002
22 Posts
first scratch built!! no name, no graphics yet

here is my first scratch built. i built it with only a crude knowledge of design basics, based roughly on my GWS Zero. i wanted something lighter and more stable.

the result is this prototype: fuse is 2mil coroplast, wing is walmart 'sturdyboard', wingspan is 30", GWS 370 type 'C' motor/gearbox (same as Zero), 8 cell 720 NiMH batteries.

i am VERY pleased with the results. it loops, rolls (my entire bag of tricks at the moment), respectable vertical. i have taken 4 first-timers up on a 'buddy box', all have done well. i plan to add rudder control and finally learn to fly (BTW anybody recommend a good 'aerobatics basics' book/website?)

if anybody is interested in the specs, i'll post everything you need.

comments/suggestions are welcome!
-scott
punkin is offline Find More Posts by punkin
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2002, 01:02 PM
La Grange, Georgia, United States
Joined Nov 2001
797 Posts
That looks great! Now you are obligated to draw out some plans and post them for everybody LOL!

Eddie
emoone is offline Find More Posts by emoone
Old Oct 15, 2002, 01:23 PM
dallas,tx
Joined Feb 2002
731 Posts
looks great, it kinda reminds me of a foam spad plane

http://www.spadtothebone.com

ryan d.
ryan d. is offline Find More Posts by ryan d.
Old Oct 15, 2002, 01:41 PM
Joined Aug 2002
22 Posts
ryan- it shouldn't suprise you that i was a spad flyer for a summer. love the simplicity/efficient design, hate the nitro mess. i had many planes in mind while building--the switchback, spads and especially a 'flat spad' i saw a post about.
it's been a while since i've been to your site--WOW! i need to catch up.
Old Oct 15, 2002, 01:43 PM
Bluecor Enthusiast
Dyersburg, TN
Joined May 2002
69 Posts
Which prop are you running? What is the flight duration?

Great looking plane.
pillboy is offline Find More Posts by pillboy
Old Oct 15, 2002, 01:45 PM
Haverhill, MA
Joined Jul 2000
303 Posts
I'm interested in the specs. It looks like a nice little flyer.

Is the GWS 370 motor similar in size and power to the speed 400?
ErnieR is offline Find More Posts by ErnieR
Old Oct 15, 2002, 01:48 PM
branson mo.
Joined Mar 2002
242 Posts
wow i really like your design also. could ya give us a few specs
like fuse length.wing cord ? thanks...
lgliser is offline Find More Posts by lgliser
Old Oct 15, 2002, 02:11 PM
La Grange, Georgia, United States
Joined Nov 2001
797 Posts
Speaking of SPAD .... who is going to be the first person here to build an electric FNS ( Friday Night Special ) from foam. For those of you who don't know a FNS is a rudder/elevator combat plane that looks totally sweet when made from coroplast ... I know it would rule made from fan fold.

Punkin - draw out some quick plans for us ... won't take you but a few minutes!

Eddie
emoone is offline Find More Posts by emoone
Old Oct 15, 2002, 03:37 PM
Joined Aug 2002
22 Posts
i'm really glad for the interest. i have seen some of your amazingly complex foam designs and didn't know if there would be any interest in my 'basic' design.

so here's some numbers:
30" wingspan, 8 1/4" chord, 7" at tips
ailerons are 1 1/4" tapered to 1" at tips (more than enough area!)
overall fuse length (including elevator) 24"
horiz stab is 5"x12" (cut to shape) including 1 1/4" elevator
vert stab is 4 1/2" at base x 4 1/2" tall (could be bigger IMHO)

i'm using 8 720 NiMH cells, the 9x7 3 blade prop (i want to try the 10x8 but LHS is always out), Naro +BB servos, 15A ESC, Naro Rx,
motor is the EPS 300 'C' 64/12 ratio (speed 300 i guess, right?)

the fuse and horiz stab are cut from one piece of coro. i dimensioned it to fit the battery pack (4cells stacked). inner dimensions are 1 5/8" x 7/8" which is a TIGHT fit. the flutes on the coro are running perpendicular to the fuse length (running flutes lenghtwise makes it difficult to get a square fuse, and also makes it weak in the 'twisting' direction).

for the wing, i made the bottom layer 7" straight across, then the top layer is 8 1/4" (tapered after glueing)--kind of backwards i think. maybe i should have cut the top layer 7" so the flat bottom piece is the overhang. i want to try this out with a coro bottom & foam upper (combat!!). the spar is a 3/8" (or maybe 1/2" i'll have to check) foam piece with a CF stiffener. the wing is covered with packing tape.

other details: mostly probond glue, wheel is foam with milk jug outter layers and a control rod guide tube for an axle hole. ESC and Rx are inside the fuse. i used a CF rod (6" long) for a stiffener on the rear (running lengthwise to the fuse--glued to the fuse and horiz stab) and another piano wire stiffener (~6" long) inside the horiz stab (running perpendicular to the fuse).

to mount the vert stab to the horiz, i cut a slot in the horiz stab and inserted the vert piece about 3/8" inside and bent it 90deg to glue to the horiz piece. i'll have to post a pic of this--kind of confusing to describe. if you only make the bend one direction, the vert stab will lean, so i made 'tabs' that i bent one direction then the other.

here are some bad pics--sorry for the poor quality.
Old Oct 15, 2002, 03:56 PM
branson mo.
Joined Mar 2002
242 Posts
thanks for the quick responce with the specs.. i will build one asap....
lgliser is offline Find More Posts by lgliser
Old Oct 15, 2002, 05:17 PM
dallas,tx
Joined Feb 2002
731 Posts
punkin

Hey the spad site is not my site, but i do go there often, I love the simple designs of the spad stuff, I currently fly the debonair (slimer) I love it, I like both nitro and electric, there's just something about kicking the nitro engine on that i like, anyway your plane looks great, I might try to build something similar, one of these days.

take care

ryan d.
ryan d. is offline Find More Posts by ryan d.
Old Oct 15, 2002, 07:39 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Oct 2002
313 Posts
If you are looking for some basic aerobatics, check this site out.
Aimed at slopers but you will find most of it applicable to what you want.

http://homepages.enterprise.net/chasg/page6.htm
beefa is offline Find More Posts by beefa
Old Oct 15, 2002, 08:11 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Who says SPADs are only for gassers? You just gotta propel them correctly. I use speed 600's and 05's and a gearbox.
Here is my Dogfighter, sorta like the FNS. Flies great!

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit