HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2007, 09:11 PM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
Question
Wing Design Question

I am currently building a Chuperosa 1.5M glider. The kit came with foam core wings but I unfortunately screwed up the skinning process (I really do not like Dave Brown's Southern Sorghum- and I wouldn't recommend any newbies to use it). So... I need to build new wings, and I'm going with classic built up style. Here's my question- I am aware that due to the wings tapered leading edge, the airfoil changes shape from root to tip. The plans only show the root airfoil- how can I design a replacement wing using the same dimensions as the print? I looked around for software, but all of it was too expensive. Does anyone know of any freeware to design model wings? Any suggestions are appreciated. You can see progress pictures of the chuperosa here: http://nolebotic.blogspot.com Thanks!
nolebotic is offline Find More Posts by nolebotic
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2007, 12:25 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,746 Posts
There are several computer programs that deal with RC wing section and plan forms. It can print out cross sections at any point along the double or tripple tapered wing. Compufoil was one but that was long ago.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Apr 04, 2007, 01:47 AM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
See:
http://www.profili2.com/eng/default.htm

Or

http://dogrocket.home.mindspring.com/macfoil.html
Ollie is offline Find More Posts by Ollie
Last edited by Ollie; Apr 04, 2007 at 01:53 AM.
Old Apr 04, 2007, 08:30 AM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
Thanks guys-
do you know of any other options? I don't have a mac, and I cant justify spending anymore $ on this project. If anyone knows of a freeware application for a PC please let me know.
Old Apr 04, 2007, 10:45 AM
Joensuu, Finland
Joined Mar 2002
1,444 Posts
Profili basic version is free, can do what you want and a lot more. See Ollie's first link.
jkettu is online now Find More Posts by jkettu
Old Apr 04, 2007, 10:50 AM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
I'll give it a try on my lunch break- wish me luck!
Old Apr 04, 2007, 01:09 PM
Vintage Flyer
Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolebotic
I am currently building a Chuperosa 1.5M glider. The kit came with foam core wings but I unfortunately screwed up the skinning process (I really do not like Dave Brown's Southern Sorghum- and I wouldn't recommend any newbies to use it). So... I need to build new wings, and I'm going with classic built up style. Here's my question- I am aware that due to the wings tapered leading edge, the airfoil changes shape from root to tip. The plans only show the root airfoil- how can I design a replacement wing using the same dimensions as the print? I looked around for software, but all of it was too expensive. Does anyone know of any freeware to design model wings? Any suggestions are appreciated. You can see progress pictures of the chuperosa here: http://nolebotic.blogspot.com Thanks!
There's an OLD FASHIONED WAY to do it if you can find a copy of Frank Zaics
famous MODEL GLIDER DESIGN
A book worth it's weight in GOLD in my opinion!

Check Ebay from time to time.
His books are legend among the model airplane community.

I have almost every book he wrote and I'll NEVER PART with them!
Ercoupe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Ercoupe Ed
Old Apr 04, 2007, 11:31 PM
Joined Nov 2002
596 Posts
I read your question as "Does anyone know of any freeware to design model wings?"

The links supplied so far are good but AFAIK are airfoil oriented. If you really want to design a fully optimized multi airfoil wing sailplane (or just the wing) using freeware go to:

http://xflr5.sourceforge.net/xflr5.htm

Download the program, study the directions for use and you will have a wing, sailplane and airfoil design tool that will make your Chup. the envy of your friends.

I used it to design the wing on my latest thermal duration ship and to say my gliders have taken a jump in performance is an understatement.

By the way, the 'stock' wing shown in the program is an excellent 1.5 metre

T.D.
Tony D. is offline Find More Posts by Tony D.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 04:52 PM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
Thanks Guys for all the info-
Tony, I'll try that app out and see what happens. Luckily, I haven't cut any ribs yet (although I did spend a few hours on cutting the aluminum templates)- but I went ahead and used the root and tip outlines of one of the foam cores (the one I didn't destroy) for the templates, but then upon laying it out, I discovered that I did not compensate for the balsa skin and trailing edge that goes out beyond the core! I've been building for years, but for some reason this project more than any other just keeps throwing wicked curve balls! You can track the progress at my site http://nolebotic.blogspot.com I finally finished the fuselage (error free too if you can believe it) Thanks Again!
Old Apr 30, 2007, 06:44 PM
Make Flying Fun
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined May 2003
1,466 Posts
free plotter for your foils...

This is free and functional and I have no idea where it came from but it works and is easy!
KevinSharbonda is offline Find More Posts by KevinSharbonda
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by KevinSharbonda; Jan 23, 2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 07:46 PM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
Thanks Kevin-
I'll check it out along with Tony's suggestion.
Old May 01, 2007, 02:13 PM
Fossilator
Fullerton, CA
Joined Nov 2004
1,788 Posts
Multiple Taper Breaks

[QUOTE=Tony D.]I read your question as "Does anyone know of any freeware to design model wings?"

http://xflr5.sourceforge.net/xflr5.htm

Hey Tony or anyone.

Sorry for the Hijack but I can't seem to locate any XFLR5 help.

Xflr5 - I can't select multiple panel breaks. Default is just a Root ( o ) and then the tip ( 1 ). I looked at the sample but nothing happens when I click the third line to define another panel.

Bad Download or is there something else that needs to be checked?

Regards
Dan
danfield is offline Find More Posts by danfield
Old May 01, 2007, 04:58 PM
Joined Nov 2002
596 Posts
Dan,

Click 'Wing Design' under the Application tab.

Click 'Define A Wing' under the Wing/Plane tab.

A work box will open with your wing in it. Right click on the wing graphic and choose 'Insert After' or 'Insert Before' and the new chord stations will appear on the wing graph within the work box.

By the way, be careful when you save your projects as I've lost a couple for some reason. No idea why.

T.D.
Tony D. is offline Find More Posts by Tony D.
Old May 01, 2007, 10:33 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,938 Posts
As I remember, the Chuperosa doesn't have much taper. If I'm right, you can get away with the same airfoil shape everywhere, just shrunk a bit. That's if you keep the same planform. Depending on the weight, you might want to consider a more modern airfoil. I remember some Chups had the E214, which really isn't suitable. I don't remember the other airfoils. Plus, if you're doing built up, flat bottom is easier. If you can build light enough, consider one of the Drela airfoils shown at charlesriverrc.org/articles or something like that.

BTW, I remember playing with Sorghum and liking it. But you've got to get it right the first time. Maybe try Gorilla Glue spread very thin, with enough moisture to set it off?
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old May 02, 2007, 10:55 AM
Fossilator
Fullerton, CA
Joined Nov 2004
1,788 Posts
A work box will open with your wing in it. Right click on the wing graphic and choose 'Insert After' or 'Insert Before' and the new chord stations will appear on the wing graph within the work box.

By the way, be careful when you save your projects as I've lost a couple for some reason. No idea why.

T.D.[/QUOTE]

Tks Tony, that worked just fine. I never even considered a Right Click.

I had already got around the problem editing the Sample but that caused new problems. Your way is much better.

I have also discovered the SAVE issues as well. Not sure I have this problem under control either, batting about 500. Newest problem is Convergence Error. The PW51.dat file may have too many points, not sure just yet as it processes just fine in Profili.

Sure wish I could locate a user group that is active. I found the default group but no real activity. Might be that RCGroups should have a user group. :-)

Dan
danfield is offline Find More Posts by danfield