SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 03, 2007, 03:02 PM
Part-Time Super Hero
Aberystwyth, UK
Joined Sep 2004
3,289 Posts
Discussion
Easystar biplane camera platform

Well after converting my EDF Easystar to a biplane and seeing how that flew www.rcflights.co.uk/Videos1/EZbi.wmv I thought it could make a good AP platform. I've replaced the EDF with the old brushless and a 6x4 prop and I can now mount the camera facing either forward or backwards. Seeing how stable she fly's I'm looking forward to a nice calm day. I flew her today but the wind was hitting the 20mph but I still managed to get some pretty good video. I'll post some later.

Mark
MarkJayne is offline Find More Posts by MarkJayne
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2007, 03:11 PM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,442 Posts
Good weather coming up for the weekend Iím told! How did she handle? Is it slower than the normal EZ*?

Looking forward to the vid!

G.
Gray is offline Find More Posts by Gray
Old Apr 03, 2007, 03:15 PM
Lancashire, UK
Joined Sep 2005
138 Posts
Why have you done this? The stock plane could easily carry that camera. Have you done it it so that the plane fly's slower, or is it to carry more weight at a later stage?
w824gb3 is offline Find More Posts by w824gb3
Old Apr 03, 2007, 03:35 PM
Back in black............
dodd city tx
Joined Sep 2005
2,059 Posts
how about to just look cool. But I bet it will fly a lot slower.

Mike
cars4fun2001 is offline Find More Posts by cars4fun2001
Old Apr 03, 2007, 04:03 PM
Part-Time Super Hero
Aberystwyth, UK
Joined Sep 2004
3,289 Posts
The stock EZ can handle the Nikon 3700 fine I agree, but what I found is that there is much less buffering as the wings flex a lot less. You can also fly much slower which you'll see in the vid. It won't fly as fast, but thats not a bad thing especial for still AP. I had to enlarge the rudder a little, as she was a little hard to turn, but she fly's great now.

Mark

And yes, it sure does look cool
Old Apr 03, 2007, 04:55 PM
Part-Time Super Hero
Aberystwyth, UK
Joined Sep 2004
3,289 Posts
Here she is...

www.rcflights.co.uk/Videos1/EZbiCam.wmv

Mark
Old Apr 03, 2007, 05:06 PM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
United Kingdom, England, Farnham
Joined Oct 2005
1,331 Posts
It certainly flys a treat!

Here's a link to the original video that the music was from video

Try to ignore the Camp Top Gunesque moments, and check out the Hunter and Buccaneer jets. Filmed at Thunder City in South Africa.

Paul.
English Electric is offline Find More Posts by English Electric
Old Apr 03, 2007, 05:54 PM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,905 Posts
Nice vid - I like the 'looking back' angle and it's interesting to see how much the tail flexes on an EZ*

I built one a while back - it certainly flew well (and sloooooooow) but I couldn't come up with a reasonable way to make it collapsible.

I now have the Bi wingset (as two left and right halves) but they're bulky to transport - allthough they can be fitted to any standard EZ* if slower flight is needed.

I actually found that with a manual camera the airspeed isn't really a problem.

Adam
Ginger Adam is offline Find More Posts by Ginger Adam
Old Apr 03, 2007, 10:31 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,399 Posts
Great video Mark! That top wing sure looks like the original wing off your first EZ*, or do you paint all the tips gold? How much of the first video was soaring? Sure looks good. Are the wing uprights balsa? and, how much space between the wings? Whew! Lots of questions, huh? I always enjoy your videos.
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Apr 04, 2007, 03:33 AM
Part-Time Super Hero
Aberystwyth, UK
Joined Sep 2004
3,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quailbird
Great video Mark! That top wing sure looks like the original wing off your first EZ*, or do you paint all the tips gold? How much of the first video was soaring? Sure looks good. Are the wing uprights balsa? and, how much space between the wings? Whew! Lots of questions, huh? I always enjoy your videos.
Hi Quail...

Well most of my wings have the yellow tip. I was having a clearout the other day, and since I have about five sets of EZ wings lying around, thought I'd make use of them. The uprights are balsa, and there's about 8 inches between the two wings. I may upgrade to a 600 size motor and a 10 inch prop, the airframe should carry it no problems, just need to do a little more modification, that way I'll have plenty of power for getting her up high.

Mark
Old Apr 10, 2007, 07:32 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
Mark, that is so cool. Great video capture too - good cuts, and the plane was in focus!
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old May 21, 2007, 07:57 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,981 Posts
Cool, nothing impossible with an easystar !
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
Old May 22, 2007, 05:19 AM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Haslemere, Surrey.
Joined Nov 2003
1,325 Posts
I dunno how I missed this first time round... Very nice Mark, Like the way the camera can be mounted Facing forward or Backward...

That's the one thing I miss with my EZ and the A620... not easy at all to set up forward facing mounts (camera is kinda too large and heavy for that), so can only take video out the Right hand side...

I am however in the process of reviving my old Twinstar AP platform... brought a couple of Brushless motors for her at the Blackbushe Show...

Still needs a bit of work, but I think with the larger wing area and twin power plants I should be able to rig up something forward facing... (maybe even my DV camcorder if I can get the guts up to stick it on the plane).

Nicely done mate,

Terry.
chargenut is online now Find More Posts by chargenut
Old May 22, 2007, 05:40 PM
Part-Time Super Hero
Aberystwyth, UK
Joined Sep 2004
3,289 Posts
Hey there Terry,

Imagine the video quality if you could get a DV camera up there. Keep me posted on that one.

Mark
Old May 22, 2007, 07:45 PM
Danmark, Hovedstaden, Hellerup
Joined Dec 2006
94 Posts
Samsung D600E as aircam

Hey there Mark, what a great idea. Love all your videos at your site, it really goes to show that with a good imagination and some spare parts from EZ's you can go a long way. So far I'm a newbee to this RC thing but I'm enjoing it very much, my EZstar have hade my Samsung D600E mobile fore a ride, check it out at EZ Star Aircam Samsung If it's possible I'd like to send my Canon A640 up, using your idea, but at 340 gram it just might be to heavy? I've been thinking of using a double body/hull contraption but this is only my fantasy running away with me.

Poul.
Electraglide is offline Find More Posts by Electraglide