Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 01, 2007, 01:28 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
Mini-Review
Hobby Lobby Cessna 337 MIXMASTER review

Well, like many others I ordered the Skymaster when HL dropped the price... howeer I received a "MIXMASTER". Its basically the same thing only it comes RTF with BL motors. I was unable to find ANY info on this plane and HL does not have it on their website so I m guessing its the replacement for the now discontinued Skymaster... so I guess this is a teaser review... and no I dont work for HL or any other RC company... (anyone hiring??)

In the box you get:

- 1 blue and white airplane
- 1 72mhz FM 4 channel radio
- 2 18 amp BL ESC's (installed)
- 1 RX (installed with crystal)
- 2 BL outrunners (already installed)
- 1 3s 2200 mah Lipo with deans connectors
- 1 lipo charger/balancer
- servos (already installed)

Out of the box its a simple charge the battery, snap on the wings, and verify everything moves inthe correct direction and are inthe nuetral position.

Please note I did not use the 8.3X?? stock props... I went straight to GWS 1060's... they mount perfectly.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ATIS; Apr 15, 2007 at 08:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2007, 01:39 PM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
FLIGHT REPORT:

The wind was kicking around 8 mph with 10 mph gusts... to much for me to maiden as I have a history of killing planes on maidens in too much wind. So I handed my Optic 6 to Tommy to put her through the maiden.

Take off:

Take off was uneventful, she ROG for about 40 feet and then the tail dropped and the nose rose... off she was, with a little right lean which he easily trimmed out.

Flying:

Tommy brought her across the field at about 50 feet up for a few picts (see below). Turns were smooth and wide with no tip stall issues (keep the speed up as this plane is VERY HEAVY). He did slow her down to just above walking speed so I could try and get a few other nice picts but I kept losing her in the view finder. She will not do a loop.... trust me... Tommy tried hard with both this plane and his Skymaster and it falls out of the top of the loop. Rolls are not too pretty but you can start your loop and just as she starts to fall out roll her over and she will fly out.

Landing:

Tommy brought her in a little fast... but not too fast. You need power all the way till you get about 1-2 inches off the deck and then you can chop the throttle.

Recommendations:

GWS 1060 HD props... my Mixmaster was faster and had shorter ROG's then Tommy's Skymaster ( 2 EFlite 450 outrunners on APC 9x6 E props and then on APC 9x9 E props).

You may want to use a CF strip across the top of the wings to reenforce them but its not needed as long as you use the "wire brace" that goes from the outer wings across the belly.

THIS PLANE IS NOT A BEGINNERS PLANE!!!!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Apr 01, 2007, 01:55 PM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,303 Posts
Great Review,

I might have to buy a mixmaster if HL comes out with one.
creapyd is online now Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Apr 01, 2007, 02:34 PM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
It is nice... all the issue that I read about the Skymaster having have been addressed... which I why I think this the up and coming replacement.... somebody in shipping made an oopsie.... not that I am complaining but I will continue to shop at HL... they have always been good to me.

BL Motors:

the motors with stock props pulled 200 watts... the GWS 1060's pulled 235 watts and 25 amps.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2007, 11:39 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,930 Posts
Wow, if you got the MixMaster (complete) for the SkyMaster price (sans radio) you got a great deal. If I knew I could get the BL version for the same price I'd order one as a spare...hmmmm...might have to give HL a call.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 02, 2007, 06:12 AM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
Wont happen.. TOmmy tried the same thing... HL made a mistake and sent me the wrong one...
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 02, 2007, 08:15 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,930 Posts
Yep...you lucked out. HL sent me an e-mail the MixMaster is available for $239. Darn...I was hoping they were off-loading those too. My BL converted SkyMaster is flying fine now so I'll just leave a blue and white one as a pipe dream.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2007, 06:31 AM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
Well I got my second Cessna 337 from HL yesterday... its the Skymaster... lightening does not strike twice... oh well. I will mod this one to have even more power then my Mixmaster...I figure you can never go wrong with more power.

$239 for the BL MixMaster... now thats a deal. Think about it.... your getting a $70 lipo, 2 Bl Motors (~$20 each), a RX with crystal ($25), 2 18 amp ESC's (~$40), a TX ($45), 5 servos ($45), a lipo charger ($20), and a plane with 50' WS ($70) ... for a total of over $325.. not bad at all. Oh and she FLY'S... of course I changed out props first but I wanted over 220 watts of power at WOT.

I am really surprised people are not interested in this plane... all the issues withteh Skymaster have been fixed.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2007, 08:32 AM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,303 Posts
Oh, I'm interested ;-) my skymaster is on the truck for delivery. my Super cub is on the truck for delivery. now I find out that the Mixmaster will only be 239. Today is going to be a good day.

How did you find out the price of the mixmaster? it's not on the HL website yet.
creapyd is online now Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Apr 04, 2007, 11:34 AM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic
Yep...you lucked out. HL sent me an e-mail the MixMaster is available for $239. Darn...I was hoping they were off-loading those too. My BL converted SkyMaster is flying fine now so I'll just leave a blue and white one as a pipe dream.

I went off what he posted.. the prices I listed are rough prices for cheaper items if you wanted to set your plane up... I figure no manufacture is going to put top of the line anything in a plane.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2007, 01:55 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,930 Posts
I e-mailed Hobby Lobby and they replied back with the $239 price. Give Hobby-Lobby a call or e-mail.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 12, 2007, 01:50 PM
Bradenton FL.
Joined Jan 2007
108 Posts
Just got the new H/L catalog and the Mixmaster is in it. (RTF)
F2A2FAN is offline Find More Posts by F2A2FAN
Old Apr 12, 2007, 04:04 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,103 Posts
You lucky dog... I wish they had accidentally sent me the blue version

Are you saying that each motor pulls 235 watts with the GWS 1060? I was going to put two SK400XTs in it with 9x5s... I was hoping to make the plane mildly acrobatic, but it sounds as if the Esskays will only keep it level.

Could you show more shots of the inside of the fuse? I'm interested to see how they mounted the BLs and where things are laid out to rebalance the CG.

Interesting that they put the Lipo in the canopy instead of in the belly like the Skymaster. what goes in the belly now? Also, you have two ESCs but does it have a BEC?

Also, be sure to check your control surfaces - the hinges on the red version tend to pull right out... not very good glue they used.

I was doing some interesting reading about the 337, says that the front motor works harder than the rear because the rear prop catches less air due to the vacuum created behind the fuse, and that air is already flowing rearward so the it's like swimming with the current. Some have countered this by slightly increasing the diameter or pitch of the rear prop so the motors will work evenly.
warhead_71 is online now Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Apr 12, 2007, 04:34 PM
"Have Glue - Will Travel"
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
ATIS,

What is your AUW with the 3S 2200 please? Also, what brand is the Lipo? Thanks!

Ronnie
dawnron1 is offline Find More Posts by dawnron1
Old Apr 14, 2007, 03:15 PM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
Both motors pull a total of 235 watts... and just 25 amps so with it split between the two 18 amp ESC's I am safe... probably could use a little more pitch but the GWS props bolt right up and the EFlite dont.... may have to get a couple of EFlite couplings so I can use APC props. I would definately go with a 10 inch diameter prop and then tweak the pitch to get as close as you can to maxing out the motors and ESC's at WOT. Aerobatic... not going to happen... the 337 simple wont hold the line throw a loop so unless you pour ungodly amounts of power into her she falls out at the top of the loop... now she will do humpties and climb at about a 50* climb out without issues and with some good speed. The lipo was moved under teh canopy... with nothing inthe old battery hole... I broke the foam trying to figure out how to open it as the instructions are worse then the original (I have both... I ordered a second hoping for the same mistake... nope)

I will weigher her later and get you all a weight and a pict of the motor mounts and lipo... I never heard of the lipo but its about 40grams heavier then a TP prolite of the same size (well the 3s 2100 TP verse this one which is a 3s 2200 lipo)
RCG Plus Member