HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2007, 09:48 AM
Slovakia
Joined Apr 2005
3,386 Posts
I am spending my time by doing simple electronics things, just to learn something new. I am growing in my own eyes that way, and feel satisfaction. And it really do not matter to me, that someone long time ago did the same.. It is the fun.
By the way, it seems to me that making servotester does not seem to generate any profit..

Someone is happy just when is plane is flying in the air.. I fell sometimes much better, when my batery charger stops charging exactly right. That is my fun.. The cost of such fun is far higher than purchase of any factory charger..
And it seems to me that Kenny is something like that.

Hi Kenny,
what about a servotester that will show peak current that servo takes?
Op amp, used as a peak detector should do the main part (probably rail to rail opamp).

I am missing such unit, and there are sometimes a lot of troubles when multiple small servos move at once, and each takes above 1A. Voltage sag causes receiver mcu reset, and the possibility of plane crash is here.
coro is offline Find More Posts by coro
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2007, 09:55 AM
"MAYONNAISE"
Le Treport, France
Joined Jun 2004
1,396 Posts
Hi, coro

Having joys must not mean show it to the whole planet ...we're on the internet !!!

What would you think for your clever controller ... of a single or pair of LM 3914, with the dot/bar command toggled @ ... say 10 Hz...

Read you soon ...

Alain
Acetronics is offline Find More Posts by Acetronics
Old Apr 03, 2007, 11:13 AM
York Electronics
Dallas Tx USA
Joined Apr 1999
2,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
It was sold to them illegally, not stolen.

There's a difference.

Andy
Sorry if my understanding of the radio new blurb was incorrect.
Gary Warner is offline Find More Posts by Gary Warner
Old Apr 04, 2007, 06:59 AM
TAIWAN
Joined Jul 2003
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acetronics
Hi, coro

Having joys must not mean show it to the whole planet ...we're on the internet !!!

Alain
I have doubts,

If not for show one's joys to the whole world, then why people want to post their family video on Youtube ?

If one can't enjoy other's happiness, why the "laughing baby" on Youtube are so hot ?
ilufa is offline Find More Posts by ilufa
Old Apr 04, 2007, 08:06 AM
"MAYONNAISE"
Le Treport, France
Joined Jun 2004
1,396 Posts
Hi, Philip

Really want to show your life on " TV or Web liveshows" ???

Need to claim " I'm here, I do exist, HEAR me !!! " ???

I also have doubts ...

Alain
Old Apr 04, 2007, 11:04 AM
York Electronics
Dallas Tx USA
Joined Apr 1999
2,505 Posts
Hey Kenny, you still following this thread?

I'd like to know how many lines of code your simple routine compiled to.

I use PIC's but have been looking at AVR's. I've been told time and time again that they are more efficient requiring fewer lines of code to do the same task. So, I'd be interested in knowing the number of code lines and comparing it to an exact same program on my PIC's compiled on CCS C compiler.

Sorry the thread is starting to look like it's strait out of the LPU forum.
Old Apr 04, 2007, 11:24 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,124 Posts
Comparing to CCS C's output is hardly a fair comparison. Try Hitech, especially the new version with the super-dooper global optimization enabled.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 04, 2007, 11:47 AM
York Electronics
Dallas Tx USA
Joined Apr 1999
2,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Comparing to CCS C's output is hardly a fair comparison. Try Hitech, especially the new version with the super-dooper global optimization enabled.

Andy
Ouch! $995 for the least version - I think that's all the 'fair comparison' I need.

Seriously... So which is better, especially at compiling complicated math routines? I think AVR's ALU with direct 32 general registers should be better, but I don't know that.
Old Apr 04, 2007, 05:37 PM
Brisbane
Joined Aug 2006
860 Posts
Gary,

There are many different types of PICs. The 12 and 16 series (12F508/16F84) types are amazingly bad for complex thigns in C.

The 18 series are something that Microchip brought out to counter this critisism. They are better for C but still fall well behind AVRs IMO.

The AVRs are all identical from the smallest ones to the largest#. There is no need for different compilers. (if you look at the PIC compilers some will do 12s some will do 18s). The compiler of preference for the AVR is GCC and it is free (so that would be $995 cheaper than the pic one mentioned)

If what you want to do is twiddle bits then PICs are great - and you don't need or want C for that.

If what you want to do uses structures, passes variables by value to subroutines or any other C-high-level-ish thing - run away from PICs.

#some of the OLD small AVRs didn't have RAM and therefore are useless for C. None of the modern AVRs are RAMless.
andrewm1973 is offline Find More Posts by andrewm1973
Old Apr 04, 2007, 10:18 PM
NYC
Joined Jun 2006
174 Posts
I say pick your poison and run with it. If you can learn one or the other and build a working project, then you have succeeded. There are structured C, BASIC, and Pascal compilers available which handle all the PIC's or AVR's, without exception, in a single compiler.
xorcise is offline Find More Posts by xorcise
Old Apr 05, 2007, 06:56 AM
"MAYONNAISE"
Le Treport, France
Joined Jun 2004
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Warner
... especially at compiling complicated math routines? I think AVR's ALU with direct 32 general registers should be better, but I don't know that.
Hi, Gary,

Could you drop me a mail ( PM ... of course !!! ) about what you call "complicated math routines" ... and, if you dare, what to do with ???

might be turnarounds could be found ( w/Pics,Avrs,or else ... no preferences ! ) ... if my thoughts are right !!!

Alain
Old Apr 15, 2007, 07:54 AM
"MAYONNAISE"
Le Treport, France
Joined Jun 2004
1,396 Posts
Hi, Gary

did you find enough food for brain ??? want some more infos ???

Alain
Old Apr 16, 2007, 09:51 AM
York Electronics
Dallas Tx USA
Joined Apr 1999
2,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acetronics
Hi, Gary

did you find enough food for brain ??? want some more infos ???

Alain
Brain space seems to be the issue of the day . Thanks for the information links. Of late, I've been reading and learning the AVR's. This seens to be taking up what free space I have between the ears.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 04:21 AM
"MAYONNAISE"
Le Treport, France
Joined Jun 2004
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Warner
Of late, I've been reading and learning the AVR's. This seens to be taking up what free space I have between the ears.
Hi, Gary

just a small comment :

The best processor is always the one you know the best ...
The compiler too ...

I also had looks to 68HC908, PsOCs, and AVRs ... but there's always something missing !!!

and 16 bits devices ... have too close pins for my " old "eyes

some small trickery always solve the " problem "

Alain

PS: see also here

http://www.emesystems.com/BS2math3.htm ... it's basic , yess !!! but much easier to understand how it works !!!
Last edited by Acetronics; Apr 17, 2007 at 04:29 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 04:45 AM
Brisbane
Joined Aug 2006
860 Posts
I started Z80, then moved to 68K, then HC11, then PIC16F and 12C.

These days I have settled on AVR for anything that can get by with 8 bits. The architecture is the same from the smallest to the largest. You don't need to change the way you work all the way from the 8 pins ones to the ones with 256K of flash and a hundred pins.

Yes, there is always something missing you would like. but as you said - software trickery and hardware help can normally get you around it.

I would argue to great lengths about basic not being easier to understand than C though

Look at the phillips LPCxxxx ARMs they are 32 bit CPUs and come in big chunky TQFP packages. Easy enough for old eyes to see and solder.
andrewm1973 is offline Find More Posts by andrewm1973