Blue Skies Hand Launch Glider Challenge 2007

The Albuquerque Soaring Association
and the Soaring League of North Texas
are proud to present

The Blue Skies Hand Launch Glider Challenge

Blue Skies over Texas - May 19-20
Blue Skies over New Mexico - July 14-15

Invitation:
At SouthFork Ranch in Texas, and at Gardner Sod Farms in New Mexico, come join us for hand launch fun and competition. These are two of the three full weekend hand launch events in the Southwest. We'll be building on a great last year, and have scheduled our second annual events into some of the best soaring weather.

Locations:
Texas - At the beautiful Southfork Ranch (filming location for the series Dallas) and home of the well-known soaring contest TNT (Texas National Tournament).
New Mexico - On the vast grass circles of Gardner Sod Farms in Moriarty, NM
Contests:
In each contest, we'll fly at least 10 rounds for the entire group, then we'll all watch the top six pilots fly three fly-off rounds of extra challenging tasks. There will be comraderie and fun.

Scoring:
We'll use Man-on-Man scoring. Results for each weekend will combine to make a series.

Prizes:
At the Texas event, SLNT will manage a winnings pot for the top flyers.
At the New Mexico event, ASA will host a raffle, with the top prizes high performance Hand Launch gliders.

ASK is offline Find More Posts by ASK
Last edited by ASK; Jun 21, 2007 at 01:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2007, 10:03 PM
ASK
Espanola, NM USA
Joined Jul 2002
2,822 Posts
Hey, ya'all hand launch pilot types.
Want to have a great 'ol time with the Texans? Blue Skies over Texas is right around the corner, with two days of hand launch fun May 19th and 20th.

The Soaring League of North Texas invites you to come join them at Southfork Ranch, this just north of the Dallas / Fort Worth area. I went last year for the first Blue Skies event ever held, and I had a great time!

I guess registrations are just over 10 right now, and there's lots of room on the BIG grass field at Southfork Ranch. Long range forecasts look very promising, though Tim Bennett has promised to refund all our dough if an EF-5 comes though the day before and prompts a weather-related cancellation. I've only seen monster dust devils in California and New Mexico, never a Texas twister.

Tim hasn't put any other names up other than his own, so maybe he's keeping secrets about great pilots so we won't get scared away. The Texas crowd are tough enough by themselves in contest, that I know. I also know Dave Register is coming, and I'm coming.

Are you coming? Don't keep it a secret! Register today.
Old May 11, 2007, 04:33 PM
Use The Force Jim
Las Cruces, NM USA
Joined Jul 2001
2,341 Posts
I really wanted to come Aradhana, but with a family vacation in Poway and then Blue Skies over New Mexico soon after, I just couldn't come up with enough dough. Maybe next year...
Jim Walker is offline Find More Posts by Jim Walker
Old May 12, 2007, 10:01 AM
Joined Oct 2002
19 Posts
F5 not required.

An F5 storm will not be required to trigger refunds. A fun contest will be our goal. Last year we had quite a battle and some great flying right through the finals.

Somebody said that Aradhana started an F1 tornado spinning around for his launch in the finals with his turbin loose. I didn't see it myself, but it is credible.

Seriously we are getting some good buzz about the contest next weekend at Southfork Ranch. Come on out and join the fun.
timben is offline Find More Posts by timben
Old May 15, 2007, 02:52 PM
To live is to fly
Austin, TX
Joined Apr 2005
173 Posts
Any recommendations from the locals for lodging near Plano?

73 John
jvander is offline Find More Posts by jvander
Old May 15, 2007, 03:45 PM
W0X0F
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2005
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvander
Any recommendations from the locals for lodging near Plano?

73 John
There is a motel 6 in Plano. Exit 75 at the E. Park Blvd exit and it will be up a quarter mile on your right. You can also exit Parker and come back to it if you miss the Park Blvd. exit. I have stayed there several times. Not the greatest but South Fork and good eats are close by.
IBWALT is offline Find More Posts by IBWALT
Old May 17, 2007, 09:08 AM
To live is to fly
Austin, TX
Joined Apr 2005
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWALT
There is a motel 6 in Plano. Exit 75 at the E. Park Blvd exit and it will be up a quarter mile on your right. You can also exit Parker and come back to it if you miss the Park Blvd. exit. I have stayed there several times. Not the greatest but South Fork and good eats are close by.
Thanks Walt, I booked a room there...

Tim, will the field be available on Friday evening? I need to do a few trim flights...

73 John
Old May 17, 2007, 10:26 PM
Round Rock , Tx
Joined Jul 2002
91 Posts
John, Have fun and good air!!

Walter, Back to back wins would be sweeet!
Tony Bermudez is offline Find More Posts by Tony Bermudez
Old May 18, 2007, 12:36 AM
Joined Oct 2002
19 Posts
The field at Southfork will not be available on Friday. You can fly at Eastfield College. The field is located at I30 north of the Big Town Boulevard exit just inside the I635 loop on the east side of Dallas. The southwest corner of the campus is our club flying field.
timben is offline Find More Posts by timben
Old May 18, 2007, 01:26 PM
Stangely Spinning in a Circle
Salisbury, MD
Joined Sep 2002
566 Posts
You can put me down tentatively on channel 45 for the Blue Skies over NM. I'll have to see if the new job will let me out early, but it should.
Griphon is offline Find More Posts by Griphon
Old May 18, 2007, 02:09 PM
Use The Force Jim
Las Cruces, NM USA
Joined Jul 2001
2,341 Posts
If this thread is being used to reserve spots for BSNM, then put me down as for sure on CH60.
Old May 21, 2007, 09:02 PM
ASK
Espanola, NM USA
Joined Jul 2002
2,822 Posts
Griphon and Jim Walker:
Texas is completed, and we all had a great time.
We are very much looking forward to this year's Blue Skies over New Mexico.

To register and reserve your frequency, go to the Blue Skies over New Mexico pages on the ASA web site.

Aradhana Singh Khalsa
Blue Skies over New Mexico

The sod farm is ready...
Old May 21, 2007, 09:21 PM
To live is to fly
Austin, TX
Joined Apr 2005
173 Posts
I couldn't stay around for the fly-off, what were the results?

73 John
Old May 22, 2007, 08:34 AM
Use The Force Jim
Las Cruces, NM USA
Joined Jul 2001
2,341 Posts
Entered and payed!
Old May 22, 2007, 05:05 PM
ASK
Espanola, NM USA
Joined Jul 2002
2,822 Posts
A contest report:

Tim Bennett should be posting complete information soon, and someone will post some of Hal's great photos.

I wanted to get some words out before Phil and I head off to Germany.

We had a wonderful contest. The weather was superb. We had outstanding conditions for a contest, with mild winds and thermal-generated variablility. Most rounds did not offer automatic high scores. You had to work, use your skills, be brave and even fearless if you wanted to max your heat. Yet everyone got to get very high and fly far, pretty often, and that's always a treat.

To my knowledge, everyone flew the entire regular contest. Most of us had at least one backup plane. There were a couple disasters and to my own disbelief, I had my first ever tip strike. Actually, two: One during Friday practice and another during Saturday warm up.

How were extensive delaminations repaired to near perfection in a hotel room? That is a good story, but for another time. For now I'll just say that both gliders remained competitively flyable even with the delams, and by Sunday morning both wings were fully repaired.

We saw several of the same pilots as last year, except that many had improved tremendously. Walter Higgins and Julian Tamez were particularly impressive. I also met John VanderMeer (jvander) for the first time.

Saturday:
Tim runs a relaxed but disciplined contest. We had five minutes between flight groups, so there was no time to dilly-dally. Everyone was very good about getting out to the field. I only saw one heat where someone launched late.

So timing would be easy to arrange, the flight matrix was in three heats. I was up against contest favorite Austin Williams four times on Saturday, and saw him consistantly outperform everyone with good skills and tenatiousness. I tied him once, but could not equal him the rest of the day.

We put in seven rounds in great flying weather. I was in fourth place with almost seven hundred points of separation. Austin won every heat.

Sunday:
This day was different for me. I won the three remaining regular rounds to finish the regular contest, and Austin got caught on a "hero or zero" attempt to fly a single long flight in an increasing times task. Worse, while he landed his only plane off field, Tim Bennett was conservatively flying a series of small but increasing flights, racking up a score with a lot of leverage. I haven't yet thanked Tim for that.

That left me in 1st for the regular contest.

My flyoff was not so successful. Despite expert timing and air reading by Gary Warner, little unresolved issues with a prototype elevator got me in trouble. I switched planes twice, and was lucky to not slip so far as to lose first place.

Postscript
Tim recognizes that the promotion for BSoTX could be much better, but even then we had 11 pilots come out and fly both days. We'll work on that for next year, and are now preparing for thecoming New Mexico event July 14-15.