HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2007, 04:29 PM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,688 Posts
Hi James,
all photos taken with phone camera , a nokia 5500. then resize/resample from 1200 x 1600 to 800 x 600 in irfanview so they are a bit smaller. look forward to seeing both you and deestingray soon.
shaun, how true, how true I would use lipos too if my boats need less weight alas its usualy the opposite so gel cells all the way
I dont know the chemistry of lipo but im sure nicd batteries in the water couldnt be too healthy.
I saw on wednesday a realy bad example of a nimh battery, 12 3000mah cells flat pack, whoever built the pack ran the pos down the side of the batteries but the wire was a bit short so another lengh of wire added, adjacent to the neg of the battery, heres the kicker, it was insulated with masking tape and when the heatsrink was put over the pack the join was on the neg terminal of the pack. lukily for the owner (clarification, owner brought pack from builder) it didnt short out completly but he could never charge it properly and he had two of these packs in parallel. His boat wouldn't perform as it should and had short run time. The tape had burn marks on it.
Moral of the story, any battery can be dangerous with bad practice.
Regards
Nick
nick_75au is offline Find More Posts by nick_75au
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2007, 04:44 PM
I like boats
Brisbane Qld Australia
Joined Jun 2006
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Hendricks
Ask them if they allow cell phones near the water. If they do, they are allowing LiPo batteries... Submerging LiPo's is not lethal to them, just retrieve the boat. Someone should point this stuff out to the BCC...

More knee-jerk without science to back it up.
From what I have experienced, most of the F/E boaters in Australia that keep to themselves ie, ones who don't read forums are still using the tried and tested Nimh cells and really have probably only heard about the bad things that go wrong with Lipo on high draw motor esc combos. There really is a bit of a gap between the flyers and boaters on this topic in Australia. I don't understand some of the logic myself but it is the rules. I also don't think the boat club wants to stir up any hornets nests so to speak as they have been operating for 25 years at that place and don't want to get kicked out. Oh well, I will just have to continue being a pirate AAArrrr.
Deestingray is offline Find More Posts by Deestingray
Old Apr 11, 2007, 05:13 PM
3 Blades to the Wind
Atascadero, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
Lookout... madman on the water! LOL!
Shaun Hendricks is offline Find More Posts by Shaun Hendricks
Old Apr 11, 2007, 05:18 PM
3 Blades to the Wind
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
LiPo are Lithium Polymer. The Lithium is the nasty stuff and there's a few other ugly's in there but even NiHm and Lead Acid have Mercury and other such goodies inside. The trick is that LiPo below 20 volts shorts out as much as any other other battery under water- which is precious little unless there's some kind of incredible conductance in the water. If left under water for too long, it will fully discharge, killing the LiPo but not blowing it up, it won't over heat.

I fully agree about the weight issue in boats but hydro's & mono racers need light weight. Soon the water record holders will all be LiPo driven. It will all be about control and conditions. Speed boaters will join the plane and car folks shortly. Scale and heavy boats will stick with other "cheaper" chemistries. There's a new chemistry coming out too... can't recall what it's called.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 12:08 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_75au
we're just a little to far south for crocs although the late Steve Irwin's zoo is 100 kms north of here. the lake has no through flow and is full of carp hence the wonderful colour
regards
Nick
That is until someone gets the Vac-u-croc
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Apr 12, 2007, 12:11 PM
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Hendricks
LiPo are Lithium Polymer. The Lithium is the nasty stuff and there's a few other ugly's in there but even NiHm and Lead Acid have Mercury and other such goodies inside. The trick is that LiPo below 20 volts shorts out as much as any other other battery under water- which is precious little unless there's some kind of incredible conductance in the water. If left under water for too long, it will fully discharge, killing the LiPo but not blowing it up, it won't over heat.

I fully agree about the weight issue in boats but hydro's & mono racers need light weight. Soon the water record holders will all be LiPo driven. It will all be about control and conditions. Speed boaters will join the plane and car folks shortly. Scale and heavy boats will stick with other "cheaper" chemistries. There's a new chemistry coming out too... can't recall what it's called.
Li-Ma????
Old Apr 12, 2007, 02:11 PM
3 Blades to the Wind
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
Maybe... I checked where I thought I saw something about it and it said nothing. It was supposed to be a better and more efficient chemistry. Of course, claims of such have always abounded...
Old Apr 15, 2007, 02:30 AM
Joined Mar 2007
3,688 Posts
Sunday 15th April

Beautiful day in Brisbane today, not a huge turnout, 4 sailboats including 2 IOM's a 10 rater and a smaller boat like a Fairwind, Club Commodore launched for the first time a HM customs launch, The Nambucca from last week finely got wet after some time out of the water, the boat was built some 50 or so years ago, a small air sea rescue launch style of vessel but in army livery. I showed off the springer hull and upstaged all. I promised to have it in the water for next sunday.
Regards
Nick
Old Apr 15, 2007, 10:09 AM
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
nice pics
Old Apr 15, 2007, 10:30 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,594 Posts
50 years old! Now that is something, still sailing after all that time.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Apr 21, 2007, 10:11 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,688 Posts
Sunday 22 April

Hi, another beautiful day in Brisbane, quite a few people today and some new boats. A fellow came down with a tanker about 1.5 m long that was brought on ebay, nice model that needs restoring unfortunately no pics as I was about to leave.
I think I beat Kmot with no of boats in a pic there are a couple with 5 in them. quite a few military boats today a couple of sailboats, a few tugs, two cabin cruisers and what may be the first Australian Springer mine . Running report in the springer thread.
Wednesday will be a special day as its ANZAC day I will be there to report on it. We will have a small ceremony to reflect on those who gave their lives.
Regards
Nick
Old Apr 22, 2007, 12:11 AM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,594 Posts
You guys have some seriously nice boats down there! Do you turn left to turn right down under?

Nick, the gauntlet has been thrown! We will now have to see how many boats we can squeeze into one photograph!
Old Apr 22, 2007, 01:33 AM
Joined Mar 2007
3,688 Posts
No rights and lefts are the same but if you manage to launch the boat into the air they fall off the lake
Old Apr 28, 2007, 10:20 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,594 Posts
7 boats.