Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 31, 2007, 09:15 PM
Farmington Hills, MI
Joined Jul 2006
301 Posts
Discussion
Newbie Ritewing TL-50 build

This thread is a little late. I had the wing nearly built and messed up the fiberglass process. CK did an excellent build video, HOWEVER, most everyone that builds a Ritewing has built something else before. But I'm a total newbie... other than I've been spending a lot of time on the G3.5 simulator.

I still might be way over my head starting with a Ritewing. That remains to be seen. But that is not really what this thread is about.

My big mistake was not laying down enough 3M 90. I watched that section of the video before I went out. I was trying to keep the weight down or conserve on glue. It actually looked like I was spending more time spraying than CK was on the video and maybe I was.

IMPORTANT TIP!!! Before you start glassing your wing, look straight down on the 3M 90 can at the nozzle. You will see the letters L, M and H. Crank it over to H for high.

I was NOT laying down enough glue. It looked fine when I left it, but the next morning the mesh was bubbled up and some of the mesh wasn't sticking down to the foam. I tried laying down some more glue and got out some wax paper, aluminum foil and an iron. It was a regular iron, not a monokoat iron. This might have worked, but I got the foam too hot and it started caving.

I'll start posting pictures, probably tomorrow. I took a bunch of pics along the way, but I've got to sort them out. I will also take pics of the replacement build. I have a couple of ideas to improve on my last build... besides using enough glue.
Abrams is offline Find More Posts by Abrams
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2007, 10:57 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Hey bro, sorry to hear about the mishap

Here is what I recommend. Go to RCworks.com and buy a couple of their cores they are very affordable but high quality.

http://rcworks.com/shopdisplayproduc...28all+sizes%29

If you allready have gear for the 50, buy the 48" reaper and do the Rite build on it. This will be a cheaper way to learn then the Ritewing way. Also pick up the smaller $20 kits to practice on first.

When you are confident with your building and flying, get yourself another Rite wing and give it another go. You will save money in the long run.

Not saying you can't fly one of these wings off the bat as I learned on a wing people said was the worste choice for a trainer and I have never had simulator experience. But I will tell you it'll be scary. You'll need some razor sharp reflexes and a good pair of eyes.

These wings move!!! and they move fast. Start with a slower setup and move your way up. And most of all good luck! Ask us anything and we can help ya here.

Adam
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Apr 01, 2007, 05:11 AM
just winging it
Fairfield, CA 94533
Joined Oct 2006
412 Posts
you could always pay ck to build you a ritewing the rite way.it might be a good idea to make sure it will fly rite and if you are new to flying a wing you will have a good starting point. i don't know whats harder flying a wing that is unstable or unpredictable.
john wing is offline Find More Posts by john wing
Old Apr 01, 2007, 10:59 AM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by john wing
you could always pay ck to build you a ritewing the rite way.it might be a good idea to make sure it will fly rite and if you are new to flying a wing you will have a good starting point. i don't know whats harder flying a wing that is unstable or unpredictable.

Yes he'd get a high quality, great flying wing if CK did the build, but that is a really expensive trainer. Judging from the above post he only has simulator experience. Would you wan't to risk all that money on your first flight!!!
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Apr 01, 2007, 12:59 PM
What's a custom title?
Tracy, CA
Joined Feb 2006
208 Posts
I too learned on a wing..... a Zagi Tazz with lipos!!!! no experience. I crashed that thing more times than I can count. I think a tapie zagi that flies slow and fast would take an impact to the ground a little better than a ritewing. The only reason I say this is from experience. The ritewings are very rigid and strong, in the air. But the wieght alone does more damage on impact. I say this speaking from a 6s demon on impact. This may be different with a lite built TL50. I never broke my airframe when I crashed my zagi. Just some plastic trays. Ritewings are great wings, but not for a beginner. I may be wrong though. I just think there is too much time and money into the ritewings builds to use it for a trainer or beginner plane. I second the opinion of practice on a cheaper wing and move up from there.
navyguy is offline Find More Posts by navyguy
Old Apr 01, 2007, 07:42 PM
Farmington Hills, MI
Joined Jul 2006
301 Posts
Build Thread

We're already getting off track. I've already conceded that I might be going down the wrong path, but that is the path I'm going to take. And ya know what? I just might crash it. I might decide later to build something to beat around for a while and go back. I LOVE BUILDING! Half the fun for me is in building.

But again, this is a build thread. CK has been playing with wings for how long I don't know. I'm coming in as a total newbie with a lot of mechanical aptitude and zero experience. I'm also a mechanical designer by trade. Granted, I'm a little out of my field. I design military tanks. But I am very process oriented. I thought it might me good to go through my build process for those who have been kicking around the idea. Actually, CK has asked me to do it, but I was going to do it anyway.
Old Apr 01, 2007, 07:48 PM
Farmington Hills, MI
Joined Jul 2006
301 Posts
By the way, ATOM1025, great tip on the cheaper wing kit. That probably would have been a good idea. For those who are a little nervous about the build, that is an excellent suggestion. And I am building mine on the mild side. I'm using a 3s lipo and an HET4 motor, 6x4 prop. I am going with a higher amp ESC so I can upgrade later without having to buy a new one. I'm really not palnning on flying this over 50mph until I've got a really good handle on what I am doing.
Old Apr 01, 2007, 07:54 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,768 Posts
Abrams it is all good buddy this thread will help people who want to tackle it as a newbie like yourself.Remeber I tried to talk you out of it prior to you getting it LOL. Some people just have to have it ,We all will help you get it rite ther is tons of combined experiance here to lend a hand.
There will always be some people who will tackle big stuff,I am the same way.
so lets get it built,I will ship the new one tommorow.
ck
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Last edited by klique; Apr 01, 2007 at 08:40 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2007, 08:31 PM
Farmington Hills, MI
Joined Jul 2006
301 Posts
It's all good and looking forward to starting over. I already have a couple of ideas to improve on my last build.
Old Apr 01, 2007, 09:16 PM
Make 'n Break!!
Walled 'tucky, MI. USA
Joined Apr 2006
1,766 Posts
Subscribed!
roosevelt is offline Find More Posts by roosevelt
Old Apr 01, 2007, 09:22 PM
Farmington Hills, MI
Joined Jul 2006
301 Posts
Good to see you Roosevelt!
Old Apr 01, 2007, 10:00 PM
Farmington Hills, MI
Joined Jul 2006
301 Posts
First step - gluing halves together

On the video, CK is putting together a wing in what would be condidered relatively high heat for Michigan. It was 80 that day. In the summer its 100 degrees and the 3M 90 tacks up really quick. In the video it took a while. In my basement at 60 degrees it took forever. If this is you, work next to an electric heater or have a handy assistant (in my case, my lovely wife) hit it with a hair drier for a couple of minutes while you're holding them together.

I used gorilla glue to glue the spar in first spar the goes in the predrilled holes across the two cores. My goal was to fill the cavity with glue so that I had full support across the wing. I activated the glue with water like the video said. I used a little too much glue. Gorilla glue expands. As you can see in the second pick, the glue seeped through the foam. However, it did not deform the wing. The easiest way to take these off is with a long blade like you use later to cut the motor mount slit.
Old Apr 01, 2007, 10:39 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Dude that is just about rite. when you see the glue you know there is no air pockets to mess you up later..

All of mine start out the same way.. one case where more is better is rite..

Looking good..
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Apr 01, 2007, 10:56 PM
just winging it
Fairfield, CA 94533
Joined Oct 2006
412 Posts
the same thing happen to me with the gorilla glue.i glued it to my work bench a long screw driver and a straight blade cleaned it right up.
john wing is offline Find More Posts by john wing