HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2007, 06:21 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,220 Posts
Discussion
i think my lipo is dead..help..pls..

hi y'all...well i bought a 3cell lipo last year (Sept.)(Absolute Power lipo 11.1v 2200mah 20c $80.)..hardly used it..3-4 times (learning to hover my mx400 heli)..and always charged it ,of course cooling it first..too much power for a newbie so i was saving it till i got better and fly outside..well after charging it again and hover my heli. i get a power burst for 10 seconds to a hover then slows down..didn't want to take a risk of damaging the lipo so i didn't discharge under a load(ie: spooling the heli)..so for the last couple of days i was discharging the battery with my astro blinky balancer then charging it again using the blinky balancer with hobbico MK2 set @ 0.2amps..with today still the same results..
any info would be greatly appreciated..thanks in advance..
barok is online now Find More Posts by barok
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2007, 06:30 AM
Slovakia
Joined Apr 2005
3,386 Posts
They are Lipos, thus no discharge/charge should help
I have noticed that You have to cool them before charge? It could be sign of too high load, when they become hot. At moderate load, Lipos do not heat much..

But I guess... that they are simply aged. lost ...
There were many reports of Lipos become impotent after prolonged time of storage.
The issue takes place with high discharge cells stored fully charged.
To save the money, store Lipos partialy discharged (after flight). Then it is good idea to store them cool place - fridge. (do not cool lipos when fully charged!).
coro is offline Find More Posts by coro
Old Mar 30, 2007, 07:12 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coro
They are Lipos, thus no discharge/charge should help
I have noticed that You have to cool them before charge? It could be sign of too high load, when they become hot. At moderate load, Lipos do not heat much..

But I guess... that they are simply aged. lost ...
There were many reports of Lipos become impotent after prolonged time of storage.
The issue takes place with high discharge cells stored fully charged.
To save the money, store Lipos partialy discharged (after flight). Then it is good idea to store them cool place - fridge. (do not cool lipos when fully charged!).
thanks for the response...
"thus no discharge/charge should help"-- should i just keep cycling it..ie: run it for few minutes.. then charge it
"You have to cool them before charge"... these lipo's are not even warm, i get a power burst for 10 seconds then slows down..heli does a moonwalk on the floor..
"that they are simply aged. lost "... pls no.. ..there must be away to bring them to life..
Old Mar 30, 2007, 07:28 AM
Slovakia
Joined Apr 2005
3,386 Posts
Wait if someone else answers something more optimistic..
I did follow the handling as I said and life of lipos was acceptable, but.. NiCads are well performing still and lipos are aging. Now it is a time for me to go for A123 cells. Just because I am not competing or racing, I just wish to fly with minimal cost, and a little weight is not a problem with my planes.
coro is offline Find More Posts by coro
Old Mar 30, 2007, 08:31 PM
Palm City, FL
Joined Dec 2000
628 Posts
When they're dead, they're dead.

There's no bringing them back.
TimOBrien is offline Find More Posts by TimOBrien
Old Mar 30, 2007, 08:58 PM
ARF Hater Club
Toronto, Ontario
Joined May 2004
2,660 Posts
What's the current draw of your MX 400?
tommyeflight89 is offline Find More Posts by tommyeflight89
Old Apr 01, 2007, 08:29 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyeflight89
What's the current draw of your MX 400?
thankz for reply..tommy

i have no idea of current draw..how do one find this draw? been balance discharging then charging with balancer for the last few days, all cells were balanced 4.2v each.. put the battery in the heli.. spolled up then hover alot of power, then 10 sec. into hover, slows down, no lift..
Old Apr 01, 2007, 09:55 PM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
I'd say it is dead. That is exactly how they normally act when they die.

Check out the HXT D9 2200 batteries. They are a really good battery and they are less than half what you paid for yours. They are out of stock but are expecting them April 13. I would order so you are on the list when they come in.

Blessings, Terry
still4given is offline Find More Posts by still4given
Old Apr 01, 2007, 10:00 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,212 Posts
Current draw can be found with a wattmeter.. It's definitely one of the items you should pick up if you plan on flying electric very long..

Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram