60 mW at 0.5 V

what to do with that!?
hrvojekl is offline Find More Posts by hrvojekl
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2002, 09:18 AM
Living Room Aviator
Joined Jun 2002
269 Posts
I wonder what the efficiency of this tiny motor is. Usually the efficiency of pager motors drops precipitously as they get smaller, though of course this motor is very different in design from the pager motors.

It also uses quite a bit more current compared with most 4 mm pager motors (though presumably this enables it to put out some healthy power).

The 4 mm motors I currently use to fly only weigh about 0.7 g each, so one can anticipate this motor to weigh less than 0.4 g. The gearbox may weigh less than our current gearboxes as well (typically 0.5 to 1 g ea).

Is it readily available from some retailer? If so, please post details!

-David
drliu is offline Find More Posts by drliu
Old Oct 14, 2002, 09:27 AM
Living Room Aviator
Joined Jun 2002
269 Posts
Judging from the MicroMo website, this motor appears to be a AC three-phase motor?

-David
Old Oct 14, 2002, 10:15 AM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
David,

Contact the US dividion of Faulhaber and they may be able to help you. Generally they stock the motors in limited quantities for firms wanting to do development work using their motors. Prices are usually fairly high. For example, one of the US offices of Maxon is near us in Rhode Island. We can buy a motor/gearbox from them in quantity one that is identical to the Astro Firefly, except that it will cost us more than what we can get it for direct from Astro Flight. I think a question would be what ESC you use to control this thing, and what it would weigh.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Oct 14, 2002, 10:30 AM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
I have one.

it's $600 in single quantities, $100 in quantities of 100+

I've done simulations and it doesn't seem to do all that well.

0.5v nominal, it's pretty useless for us (lithium 3.6v is our ideal power source)

cool, but...

smoovy has some small motors for a lot cheaper.

I don't think there exists a battery light enough for this motor to haul around...
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Oct 14, 2002, 12:20 PM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,390 Posts
I would suspect efficency to be in the sub 25% category compared to other similar motors, although manufacturers claims can vary.

Interestingly, www.micromo.com had nothing about it on their site that I could find......

Steve McBride
Steve McBride is offline Find More Posts by Steve McBride
Old Oct 14, 2002, 02:02 PM
Zagreb, Croatia
Joined Sep 2002
378 Posts
Steve, go to www.faulhaber.de to Produkte, then to Micro-Antriebssysteme, there is tech
info in pdf
Old Oct 14, 2002, 02:03 PM
Texas,USA
Joined May 2001
617 Posts
Take a business card and cut it into a zagi shape. Make a micro prop for it and CA it to the business card with a watch battery and walla... Flying business card! Fly it around in your local telephone booth!
flytowner is offline Find More Posts by flytowner
Old Oct 14, 2002, 03:51 PM
Living Room Aviator
Joined Jun 2002
269 Posts
Has anyone run tests on the 5 mm and 3 mm smoovy motors? I saw those a while ago when I was settling on the final configuration of the Wisp but discounted the 3 mm motor/gearbox for being too weak (45 ohm) and the 5 mm motor/gearbox for being too heavy. It might be worth taking another look at the 3 mm motor as we continue to build smaller and lighter.

-David
Old Oct 14, 2002, 04:04 PM
Zagreb, Croatia
Joined Sep 2002
378 Posts
Look at www.me.berkeley.edu/mrcl/why.html maybe few years from now we will fly on this
instead today batteries.
Old Oct 14, 2002, 04:11 PM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,390 Posts
I've been in contact with the US distributor of the smoovy motors and the latest was that they are still undergoing changes. I have not talked to them in a few weeks though. It's the listed power output that scares me - 160ma short term for the 5mm and 57ma for the 3mm. I wonder how much one could puch these little guys though?

Steve McBride
Steve McBride is offline Find More Posts by Steve McBride
Old Oct 14, 2002, 04:21 PM
Texas,USA
Joined May 2001
617 Posts
WOW! Do you realize if we started using the Octane power source we would technically be "slimers"!
Old Oct 14, 2002, 04:50 PM
Texas,USA
Joined May 2001
617 Posts
http://www.mdl.sandia.gov/technologi.../trilevel.html
Old Oct 15, 2002, 06:07 PM
California
Joined Oct 2002
410 Posts
1.9mm brushless

I have run tests on the 1.9mm Micro Mo motor as well as the 3mm, 5mm Smoovy brushless and the Namiki 4mm brushless motors.

The 1.9mm motor was supplied to me with a 3 stage planetary and a dedicated controller demo box. It ran for a while and then died. I think a gear tooth broke or something, it was dissappointing.

The 1.9mm motor I had required like 0.5 volts at 100mA which is an odd combination of voltage and current if you want to run it efficiently. It would really need a step down power coverter, and then use 6 mosfets to switch the 100mA, so it's not so desireable.

On the other hand, the Smoovy 3mm motor can be operated at a couple volts and 20mA which is handy if using the outputs of a microcontroller to drive the motor directly. The 3mm Smoovy motors are running in the hundreds of dollars apiece without gears, gears are more expensive.

The planetary gears on the Smoovies are also delicate and I have accidentally busted about 80% of the Smoovy gearmotors I have handled over the last 5 years, and I was trying to be careful. Problem is all the gears are the same tooth pitch and thickness, so at the output stage, the teeth are very weak. But they are wonderful little gearmotors and will operate reliably if you are careful with your installation and handling.

The 4mm Namiki brushless is hundreds of dollars apiece with gears, and appears to be good quality. Did not test the gears.

If only there was a mass market for micro brushless motors like for pagers, the prices would be only a few dollars apiece, because they are simpler to make than current brush DC motors, but use the same basic materials. It all comes down to production quantity.

Just my thoughts.

-Matt Keennon
Keennon is offline Find More Posts by Keennon
Old Oct 15, 2002, 06:49 PM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
perhaps tiny disk based music formats might make this kind of motor available, in the mean time we could wind our own.

I'm not joking but probably should be.

Graham
Graham Stabler is offline Find More Posts by Graham Stabler