HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2002, 04:20 AM
Acme Powered!
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
What's A Good Program To Build Your Own Website For A Begginer?

Hi All, I am looking for a good program to build and maintain my personal website. My ISP gives me 5 megs for a personal site and mine is already created. It was done by a past friend about 3 years ago and I would like to completely wipe out whats on the site and just build a simple site where I can put up pictures of my planes. I am considering Microsoft Frontpage but I don't know how hard it is to use and how expensive it is? I don't know HTML and don't really have the time to learn. Between building and teaching myself Cad. I have heard that Frontpage allows you to build and maintain a site without learning HTML? Its just like using the copy and paste commands? Is that true and if so will it wipe my current page clean, like I want to do and start over? Does anyone know how much the program costs? Any ideas would really be appreciated from you guys that know about this stuff.
Thanks Joe
Joe Elston is offline Find More Posts by Joe Elston
Old Oct 14, 2002, 01:40 PM
UK
Joined Jan 2001
466 Posts
HTML really isn't hard to learn...the code spewed by WYSIWYGs like Front Page is utter rubbish. Learn to write your own clean code and you will not go back.

To speed the process, get yourself a free html editor with built in colour coding (so you can see which tags are closed) and a preview function (so you don't have to 'view source', 'save', 'refresh'). 1st Page 2000 is awesome and costs absolutely nothing. According to them, used by NASA, Australian government, CNET, BBC.

http://www.evrsoft.com

I also recommend the Webmonkey tutorials, they are really good. For Javascript too.

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey

Hope this helps,

-Ben
Ben C is offline Find More Posts by Ben C
Last edited by Ben C; Oct 26, 2002 at 08:37 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2002, 04:08 PM
Profiled Interfractionalist
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
4,024 Posts
Quote:
HTML really isn't hard to learn...
Maybe not, but it was more than I wanted to tackle.......so I went with Front Page.
And maybe the "code spewed by WYSIWYG is utter ****", don't really care, I was more interested in the end results, which work just fine for me.

Quote:
I have heard that Frontpage allows you to build and maintain a site without learning HTML?
Correct.

Quote:
Its just like using the copy and paste commands?
Yup, that easy.

Quote:
will it wipe my current page clean, like I want to do and start over?
Maybe, if your web space server is setup to allow FP to do so.
My web server 'would' if I 'upgraded' to their next level of service. So I use a free file transfer client (there are many) to upload, delete and maintain the files on my server and just use FP to create the files.

Quote:
Does anyone know how much the program costs ?
If I remember correctly is was about $60.

HTML isn't for everybody.............
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old Oct 14, 2002, 04:25 PM
Acme Powered!
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
Frontpage

Hi William, thank you for the reply. Its what I wanted to hear. My ISP allows Frontpage to build your website, at least I am pretty sure I will check. And I dont have the time to learn HTML right now. My prioritys are on learning Cad and building. And thanks for the price that sounds very reasonable for the program, I will have to get a copy this week.
Thanks Joe
Old Oct 15, 2002, 07:57 PM
Web Monkey
Vestal, NY
Joined Apr 2002
17 Posts
Just a word of caution...

As was said before, the code WYSWIG editors puts out is usually messy but most of the time it gets the job done if you don't want to mess with the raw HTML.

As someone who does know HTML and has had to take over a couple of FP related sites, I will warn you that if you create it with FP, maintain it with FP. FP tends to use alot of files and directories that don't make sense sometimes, especially if your new to HTML.

That warning out of the way, as far as WYSWIG editors go, FrontPage is among the better. You might also try Netscape Composer, it's free (Part of the Netscape Navigator Suite), it isn't quite as fancy as FP but it turns out some good results too.

One way to learn a little HTML is make your page with a WYSWIG editor like Composer and then manually edit the source to fix things how you want. It's not quite as overwhelming as learning HTML from scratch (which isn't hard really)
PeteEMT is offline Find More Posts by PeteEMT
Old Oct 15, 2002, 08:28 PM
Yukon, OK
Joined Apr 2002
267 Posts
Let me start off by saying I finished a tech school course in web design recently. They taught both FP and HTML, among other things like Java, etc. Therefore, as a beginner, I was exposed to both.

Every student could do 10 times more in a tenth the time with FP than with HTML.

My $.02

Goofup
goofup is offline Find More Posts by goofup
Old Oct 15, 2002, 08:31 PM
Acme Powered!
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
Frontpage

Well, I am going to buy a copy of Frontpage to build my site. My ISP allows you to use Frontpage to create and maintain your personall website. I don't want anything fancy and I don't want to learn HTML right now as I don't have the time. As I said before that I am trying to learn Autocad and have a bunch of building to do this winter. And I really just want to be able to put my planes up on my own website. So that's the reason I am getting Frontpage. I don't use Netscape and don't want to go there.
I do have a question? What is a WYSWIG Editor Program. What's that mean WYSWIG?
Thanks Joe
Old Oct 15, 2002, 08:40 PM
Web Monkey
Vestal, NY
Joined Apr 2002
17 Posts
WYSIWIG = What You See is What You Get

Means instead of coding the HTML, the designer is more visually oriented. How it looks to you immediately as you design it , will be how it looks to you when it is finished.
Of course, this may not be how it looks to everyone else, one of the joys of web design. (You face this issue if you use FP, Plain HTML or anything else) Best you can do is try looking at your finished page in different browsers or have friends (especially those using other systems then you are.. ie: Mac or Linux) look at the page to tell you if anything is weird.
PeteEMT is offline Find More Posts by PeteEMT
Old Oct 15, 2002, 08:40 PM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,760 Posts
Hi Joe,

WYSIWYG = What You See Is What You Get

Mauilvr is offline Find More Posts by Mauilvr
Old Oct 15, 2002, 09:54 PM
Oxymoron: Rap Music
Upstate NY
Joined Sep 2002
791 Posts
Frontpage 2002 is nice, but I liked Macromedia dreamweaver better because its easier to get around and mostly stable(on my computer, anyway so IMHO). check them both out, they're both good. Just an opinion

GForce
GForceStress is offline Find More Posts by GForceStress
Old Oct 15, 2002, 11:06 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
Dreamweaver 4 is a better program, but for a newbie, Net Fusion 7.0 is about as simple as you can get. I built my site with Net Fusion because it was basically a plug and play type of program. Here's the site I made after a couple of hours: http://speedwing.net

A better example of what you can do using Net Fusion with alot of time, patience and know how is my dad's site at: http://sandblast.net

As you can see, you can build a basic site like mine in a few hours, or as complex a site as you want, like my dad's.

-- Acer
Acer is offline Find More Posts by Acer
Old Oct 15, 2002, 11:16 PM
DNA
NE Ohio
Joined Jun 2001
3,311 Posts
I second the vote for NetObjects Fusion.

Very easy to use and very powerful.

http://www.netobjects.com
DNA is offline Find More Posts by DNA
Old Oct 16, 2002, 05:29 AM
Acme Powered!
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
Netfusion

Nice site Acer. But do you know if Netfusion will work on an ISP site that is designed to run Frontpage? All those graphics that you and your dad used? Where they imported from other programs and of the web? I may have to go with Frontpage because I don't think my ISP will support Netfusion? But I can call and find out. Remember I am a total newbie at this.
Thanks Joe