HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2007, 12:29 PM
Grosse Pointe, Mi
Joined Jun 2005
1,142 Posts
Discussion
Boat Recovery?

As soon as the weather breaks I'm off to the pond with my Victoria sailing boat. The pond is unknown to me so I'm not sure if there will be any problems with underwater obstructions or weeds. Just in case the worst happens and I get a rigging failure or it becomes tangled in weed -

What are the preferred instruments for recovering a stranded boat ?

A tennis ball tied to a length of string ?

Rob
Rob_P is offline Find More Posts by Rob_P
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2007, 07:36 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,811 Posts
You can do a search for boat recovery, retrieval boat, rescue boat, tow line or any other related terms.

Radio Control Boat Modeler Magazine did a how-to article for building a grapnel with some dowel rods, rubber tips, and some line. IIRC they used a 3/4" dowel for the main shaft, about 12" long. At one end they drilled three or four holes at an angle - think arrow head. They glued some dowel rod into the holes forming a hook, these dowels were about 6" long. The whole thing was sealed with epoxy and painted a bright color. On the ends of the hook dowels hook end of the 3/4" dowel, they installed some rubber caps. At the other end of the main shaft, a screw eye was installed, and a line was attached with a swivel.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Last edited by CG Bob; Mar 28, 2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 09:25 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,605 Posts
how bout this? Small electric tug and a grappling hook work great for me. I have not needed to recover my Victoria in quite some time but last time I did I wish I had one of these. I have used thie little boat to pull in sailboats and it does good but a gust of wind can stop Kate in her tracks or even pull her backwards

Tow hook is made out of thin brass rod soldered together to form the hook then pushed through a foam bobber. Total cost less than $8

Kate Massey: Is a Vac-U-Tow Jr from www.vac-u-boat.com you can even see pictures of her on the site.

Massey
Massey is offline Find More Posts by Massey
Old Mar 29, 2007, 01:04 AM
SDJ
Australia
Joined Feb 2007
139 Posts
recovery

I think it was Towboat Joe that sent this pic to me, (another thing for springers to push around?)
SDJ is offline Find More Posts by SDJ
Old Mar 29, 2007, 03:06 AM
McAlester
Joined Nov 2004
1,370 Posts
...trained geese work well. Very high-dollar though.
- 'Doc

(can't think of anything not already covered, so tried for something different.)
LtDoc is offline Find More Posts by LtDoc
Old Mar 29, 2007, 06:25 AM
SDJ
Australia
Joined Feb 2007
139 Posts
rescue dog?

One could always tow a raw sausage behind the vessel, that way rover would not need much encouragement to fetch?,
I know have another drink Steve, sigh hic
SDJ is offline Find More Posts by SDJ