HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2007, 11:15 AM
Riverview, FL
Joined Dec 2002
1,497 Posts
Question
what happens when a lipo gets old & tired?

have some lipos that charge well, seem to last a decent period of time in flight, but i was wondering how to tell if theyre old and tired. will they start feeling like the pack is run down - even when they have just been fully charged?
nose_first is offline Find More Posts by nose_first
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2007, 12:38 PM
Lexington, Ky
Joined Apr 2004
421 Posts
I have been using lipos for two or three years and I've never had one whose performance has noticeably declined to me simply through being cycled. I poofed one and totally discharge one, but they seem to last forever. Additionally, I try to avoid getting mine hot.
Condre' is offline Find More Posts by Condre'
Old Mar 28, 2007, 12:43 PM
Electric Helis is my game
Lidingo, Sweden
Joined Feb 2005
2,755 Posts
My oldest pack (that has survived) dont show a decline in voltage, but just as a safety precaution I draw less from them.

Those that didnt survive didnt show anything, until they puffed or a cell just went bad.

If you start feeling a pack dont have a good punch anymore then its the last few cycles your on..., a cell have probably already gone bad.
MrMel is offline Find More Posts by MrMel
Old Mar 28, 2007, 12:45 PM
Finland
Joined Aug 2005
695 Posts
lipos start to "die" immediately when being built in factory. Their chemistry start to change in a way that internal resistance increases. This leads to a situation, that accu pack gets charged normally but you just cannot get the power out of the pack due the increased resistance. Also this internal resistance increases if storing lipo packs fully charged. The most safe storing voltage is around 3.75V/cell. If you measure just bought quality packs, they do come charged close to that voltage. Also overheating during discharge will shorten the life of accus dramatically.
ezmo is offline Find More Posts by ezmo
Old Mar 28, 2007, 02:34 PM
Master of 1 point landing
Naperville, IL
Joined Jul 2005
2,841 Posts
What happens when a lipo gets old and tired?

it moves to Florida and annoys the natives. . .
ImaBiggles is offline Find More Posts by ImaBiggles
Old Mar 28, 2007, 02:43 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,716 Posts
Old lipo's lose capacity and current delivering capability. In other words, like us, when old, can't run as fast or as long. Generally speaking that is.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Mar 28, 2007, 03:29 PM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
give em to Vinnie the Viking for a funeral
hall woo is offline Find More Posts by hall woo
Old Mar 28, 2007, 03:30 PM
Riverview, FL
Joined Dec 2002
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy
Old lipo's lose capacity and current delivering capability. In other words, like us, when old, can't run as fast or as long. Generally speaking that is.
thanks - i think this was more the information for which i was looking
Old Mar 28, 2007, 03:31 PM
Riverview, FL
Joined Dec 2002
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaBiggles

aint that the truth.... and you forgot the part about hitting the gas instead of the brake and causing an accident.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 03:56 PM
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Sep 2003
1,134 Posts
Drives slowly in the left lane

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaBiggles

jonnyjetprop is offline Find More Posts by jonnyjetprop
Old Mar 28, 2007, 06:14 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,240 Posts
How about just stops period, while the cars behind them drive off the road to avoid hitting them. Then they just start up again cause they remembered where they were going.
Jimbo45cn is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn
Old Mar 29, 2007, 01:43 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
I still have a few of the first lipo packs I ever got.. Etec 2S 700's and 3S 1200's... I still fly them..

Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Mar 29, 2007, 03:14 PM
Roll Tide!
Joined Oct 2005
325 Posts
My question is: As they age, do they become more of a fire hazard? To be safe, should we discard them after say a year? Right after there's a noticeable drop in power and endurance.

Have there been fires due to their old age? I started using lipos about a year ago. They charge and perform very well, but I worry about their age, knowing that they're a fire hazard if not treated properly. Any input appreciated.
amigo is offline Find More Posts by amigo
Old Mar 29, 2007, 03:41 PM
Master of 1 point landing
Naperville, IL
Joined Jul 2005
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigo
My question is: As they age, do they become more of a fire hazard? To be safe, should we discard them after say a year? Right after there's a noticeable drop in power and endurance.

Have there been fires due to their old age? I started using lipos about a year ago. They charge and perform very well, but I worry about their age, knowing that they're a fire hazard if not treated properly. Any input appreciated.
fire and age do not seem to be correlated. Abuse and damage seem to be 99% of the reasons lipos vent w/flames.
ImaBiggles is offline Find More Posts by ImaBiggles
Old Mar 29, 2007, 03:52 PM
Riverview, FL
Joined Dec 2002
1,497 Posts
i have 1 that i purchased in december of 2003 - and the others probably sometime in the summer of 2004. only lost 1 lipo and it was due to sudden deceleration because of the ground