HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2007, 05:05 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Sep 2003
7 Posts
Discussion
SIG 1/5 scale Cub

Anyone retrofit one of these to electric after completion as a slimer?

What motor/bec, how many cells etc?

Thanks
Mike
MJFinegan is offline Find More Posts by MJFinegan
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2007, 12:30 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Maxcim 13Y, with MaxCim ESC / BEC, geared around 3.5:1, 16 x 8 APCE prop, 16 x 3000 mA Nimh. 8lb 2oz RFT.

That's her in my avatar - built as a kit / conversion review for Quiet & Electric Flight International magazine a couple of years ago.

Minimal conversion work done on the kit. I basically altered the firewall to take my MaxCim motor - not sure they are still available now though - and added a couple of ply trays in the front cockpit floor area to take two 8 x 3000mA Nimh packs in series - they were charged in situ as one pack. Two standard servos on rudder and ele, one each Hitec 225 per aileron, fitted inside the wing into a ply reinforced rib. Monokote covered.

Balanced as per kit, with the tail rigging and so on, it flew like a Cub should from the test flights on. My only alteration to the rigging was more aileron differential than spec'd - I used 25% down, 75% up throw, recall the kit spec wasn't so agressive.

That lot got me around 10 - 12 minutes of Cub-like flying. Used to land, plug the charger in, let it get on with it - the battery was never even remotely warm on landing. Never measured the current draw, but estimated it at under 30A flat out, which was seldom used.

Sold it after a year or so - great flier, absolutely honest, but a pain to carry around in my little wagon! Am now finishing up a Sig 1/6th clipwing Cub as a replacement...

Hope that helps

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Mar 28, 2007, 04:44 PM
E-flyer since 1981
Joined Oct 2000
1,490 Posts
I use an AXI 4120-14 with 4s 8000mah lipos, 70 amp Jeti speed control, UBEC for radio.

Batteries stick through the firewall into the cowl for balance.

Flies great and for a long time!
Michael in Toronto is offline Find More Posts by Michael in Toronto
Old Mar 28, 2007, 10:40 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Aug 2006
91 Posts
I'm building one right now. Axi 4130/16, 77 amp Jeti speed control, separate transmitter battery and 6 cell A123 battery (2p6 cell if I can for longer flights).
snackboy is offline Find More Posts by snackboy
Old Apr 01, 2007, 12:41 PM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Jun 2002
454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in Toronto
I use an AXI 4120-14 with 4s 8000mah lipos, 70 amp Jeti speed control, UBEC for radio.

Batteries stick through the firewall into the cowl for balance.

Flies great and for a long time!
Michael,

what size of prop are you using, and what sort of amp draw?
charlatan is offline Find More Posts by charlatan
Old Apr 02, 2007, 03:28 PM
E-flyer since 1981
Joined Oct 2000
1,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlatan
Michael,

what size of prop are you using, and what sort of amp draw?
13-8 APC-E prop; probably about 40 amps full throttle on the ground.

I don't think I have ever used full throttle in flight;
maybe throttle in a tight, high-banked turn.
Old Apr 02, 2007, 04:20 PM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Jun 2002
454 Posts
Thanks Michael, appreciated. Just got hold of a World Models 1/5 scale Clipped Wing Cub.
charlatan is offline Find More Posts by charlatan
Old Apr 05, 2007, 04:52 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,424 Posts
I'm also using an AXI 4120/14 in my 1/5 scale Cub (DB Sport & Scale, not SIG). 14x7 APC E prop, 14 GP3700 NiMh cells, Jeti 70 Advance Opto, 45A WOT static, separate Rx battery. Full throttle is never needed, even on take off.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Apr 05, 2007, 08:36 PM
Joined Nov 2005
4,404 Posts
I have a Sig 1/6 scale Cub on floats that weighs 5.5 lbs.

I used a Hi Max HC3522-0990 , a CC45 ESC , with a TP 3s2p4000 and it is more than enough power.

ROW on 1/2 power , flies nicely on 1/4 power.
lake flyer is offline Find More Posts by lake flyer
Old Apr 07, 2007, 10:49 AM
Joined Oct 2002
38 Posts
My PiperCub is not a SIG kit.
WorldModels is that.
But is a 1/5 as well.

Axi 4120/18, 14x7 prop and 5S/2P 2.200Amp.
Total weight: 9.2 pounds.
Take off to middle throtle and fly with 1/4.

Photos, video whitin and description (in spanish):

http://nasgul.blogspot.com/2007/04/d...as-gonico.html
cefesky is offline Find More Posts by cefesky
Last edited by cefesky; Aug 24, 2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old May 20, 2007, 02:13 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Sep 2003
103 Posts
Great video of your Piper Cub cefesky...muchas gracias!
yankeecanuck is offline Find More Posts by yankeecanuck
Old Jun 06, 2007, 09:10 PM
Angering mobs since 1980.
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Sep 2001
2,929 Posts
Ho much down and right thrust are you guys putting into the mounting of your 4120 AXi's??

--
Mike N
Twmaster is offline Find More Posts by Twmaster
Old Jun 07, 2007, 02:49 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmaster
Ho much down and right thrust are you guys putting into the mounting of your 4120 AXi's??

--
Mike N
I put in the same as for the glow engine -- a "bit" of right and a "bit" of down Probably about 3 degrees and 1 degree respectively.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Jun 07, 2007, 03:39 PM
E-flyer since 1981
Joined Oct 2000
1,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmaster

--
Mike N
None.

Be careful flying. The plane will climb easily, and will stall badly on aileron turns (extremely mild turns are OK on ailerons). You should use, or mix in, anywhere from 20% to 40% rudder with your ailerons.
Old Jun 08, 2007, 09:20 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Michael in Toronto demonstrates that not all Cubs are created equal!

I suspect mine may have been nose-heavy a tad, as it was hard to get a stall without severe abuse - from a steep climb, power off and pull hard up!

Its only vice was something I discovered by accident, despite all my efforts to find them - something you learn a lot about when you insist on designing your own wierd looking models.

I was on long finals and somewhat slow on a calm day - so the model was aimed at the runway well out and remained thus aimed. Eventually, it demanded I join in - when I discovered that, despite her proceeding nicely in a straight line, all her controls had pretty much stopped affecting her flightpath!

Power was added, I started paying attention and did some more poking in the envelope's darkest corners on the next flight.

Seems that I could slow her up to speeds where she would maintain a very shallow rate of descent, no signs of that elusive stall, but the airspeed was such than control effectiveness dropped to almost nil in all three axis. The remedy to this deficiency was pretty obvious!

It was also one of few high wingers I've owned that was happily steered by ailerons only at normal cruising speeds. With my 25% down, 75% up aileron differential, my Sig Cub was just fine on aileron / elevator for 'normal' flying around, though I would use the rudder on occasions to help eliminate sideslip in slower turns.

This mixing is something I've always employed in similar models by using the Mk 1 organic control stick mixing system (learned to use both sticks all the time real early on in my RC days )

regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck