HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 28, 2007, 12:34 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2004
831 Posts
Discussion
How to make the noisiest flying wing possible

Take two motors and two 6x4 props. Use the highest power setup you can, and pull the maximum amps the motors will handle, and the props MUST have a supersonic tip speed. To keep the motors closer to the center, stagger the two so the propeller arcs coincide slightly with one another, focusing on keeping about 1/2" of the prop tips near one another. Place one motor ahead of the other so this is possible. The supersonic tips and normal buzz due to the proximity of the trailing edge to the prop will produce noise, as well as the props supersonic interference, resulting in a speed differential of something around mach 2.1, which will produce the noisiest flying wing ever made, and perhaps among the fastest, just not the fastest ever made.




Accu157 is offline Find More Posts by Accu157
Last edited by Accu157; Mar 31, 2007 at 12:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2007, 12:39 AM
resU deretsigeR
PaulVi's Avatar
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accu157
resulting in a speed differential of something around mach 2.1, which will produce the noisiest flying wing ever made, and perhaps among the fastest, just not the fastest ever made.



Untill the hypersonic vibrations turn the EPP back into its original and seprate components...

But it would sound cool till you lost your hearing

It is the other spectrum of sound but simular to the way you feel in a GMC Denali XL with 2 15 inch solabaric sub's bumping with 2000 wats going into each sub ..

That enviroment will littraly prevent you from being able to take a breath when the bass is hitting...

Now imagine the sound of 1000 angry mosquitoes ringing inside your hrad...

Might need some micro dot to survive that trip..


PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 01:58 AM
Registered User
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,579 Posts
I got to say,
PaulVi has the noisiest Wing I ever heard and one of the fastest. The first time I saw him fly it, was at a school I've been flying at for a while. I buzz my planes around and all the kids just go about there playing and never much even look at the planes.
BUT, when PaulVi cranked up his Wing, I think even the gophers came out of there holes to see what the heck was making all that noise!! Butch
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 06:12 AM
The Canuck
Petit-Rocher Sud, NB, Canada
Joined Jun 2006
136 Posts
I'll second that!
At Neat Fair I would prepare my plane before bed fully charged and ready to go. Then as soon as I'd hear Paul's wing cranking in the early morning.... i'd get up and go fly!
Thanks Paul
Sev Fontaine is offline Find More Posts by Sev Fontaine
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 07:59 AM
cant leave things stock
jstoll's Avatar
United States, KY, Lexington
Joined Feb 2007
1,457 Posts
thats pretty funny :-)
before I cut the TE around my prop foward a bit my plane was pretty loud too & folks thought it was gas powered & were amazed when I told them it was electric
I also prep everything at night, making sure all the bats are charged & any dammage is repaired for the next flight
I think the maintainance is half the fun
have a great day
JAK
jstoll is offline Find More Posts by jstoll
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 10:51 AM
Registered User
Lexington, Ky
Joined Apr 2004
421 Posts
Ever seen those cylindrical whistles that make a weird sound. You could mount one on your plane.
Condre' is offline Find More Posts by Condre'
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 06:44 PM
Registered User
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,579 Posts
I'm one step ahead of you!
I picked up a couple siren whistles on ebay a bit ago to try on my planes. It should be fun! Butch
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:13 PM
Registered User
Rockford, IL
Joined Oct 2003
970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accu157
Take two motors and two 6x4 props. Use the highest power setup you can, and pull the maximum amps the motors will handle, and the props MUST have a supersonic tip speed. To keep the motors closer to the center, stagger the two so the propeller arcs coincide slightly with one another, focusing on keeping about 1/2" of the prop tips near one another. Place one motor ahead of the other so this is possible. The supersonic tips and normal buzz due to the proximity of the trailing edge to the prop will produce noise, as well as the props supersonic interference, resulting in a speed differential of something around mach 2.1, which will produce the noisiest flying wing ever made, and perhaps among the fastest, just not the fastest ever made.
What the heck is the mater with you? I fly electric because it is quiet. We have already lost 2 flying sites because a group of noisy wings started flying there. We tried to tell them that the neighbors would not put up with their noisy planes but the wouldn't listen and sure enough one day we went to fly and there were signs NO FLYING.

Tom Moody
Tom Moody is offline Find More Posts by Tom Moody
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:18 PM
Got H2? Fuel Cell R/C Car
Keith43221's Avatar
United States, TX, Del Rio
Joined Mar 2004
2,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch777
I'm one step ahead of you!
I picked up a couple siren whistles on ebay a bit ago to try on my planes. It should be fun! Butch
And im a step ahead of you! already did it. Mounted one on a servo on my F-27 (80-90mph) I could turn the whistle on and off. it was hot.
Keith43221 is online now Find More Posts by Keith43221
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:35 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Atom1025's Avatar
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Moody
What the heck is the mater with you? I fly electric because it is quiet. We have already lost 2 flying sites because a group of noisy wings started flying there. We tried to tell them that the neighbors would not put up with their noisy planes but the wouldn't listen and sure enough one day we went to fly and there were signs NO FLYING.

Tom Moody
Wing guys are like the Harley riders, we like it loud and obnoxious!!!

I make sure to fly where there is no civilization. I can't speak for others though. Its a bummer that a few radical made you lose your site
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:45 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,781 Posts
I have you guys all beat ,my 7s twin turns two props at 37 k ea counter rotating,You earswillbleed from prolonged exposure.
I like them louder ,The louder the better.There is no fun in flying geared depron meat trays w micro servos.
I call them targets.
ck
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Last edited by klique; Mar 30, 2007 at 11:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 12:10 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2004
831 Posts
lol, glad to see the responses. Where's tic and his anti-zagi rant?

Nah, I'd only fly a plane like that where you can fly a pulsejet. Well, maybe not to that far of an extreme, I don't think there's much of anything louder than those.

I don't understand, the thread title says Help! - How to make.... I'll see if I can change that. ...There, now it's a discussion - How to make....

I remember seeing unicorn flying wings with the motor farther aft of the wing. Anyone have success with making a plane quieter using this technique? Besides the Unicorn of course.
Accu157 is offline Find More Posts by Accu157
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 01:50 AM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,687 Posts
Caution, stupid newbie question to follow: are wings inherently louder than a more traditional plane, and if so, why? Thanks for the info.
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 02:29 AM
Registered User
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,579 Posts
The closer the prop is to the trailing edge of the wing, the louder it is. Move it away by 1" and it really reduces the noise. Move it 2"s and its almost quiet!
There's lots of threads here in the Wings forum on it, just do a search. Butch
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 05:47 AM
Registered User
Sydney
Joined Jan 2007
386 Posts
interesting thread. Do whistles made out of folded tape work?
I have seen a few of them on stationary planes but never heard them in action
GoldenSlopes is offline Find More Posts by GoldenSlopes
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Make a Good Flying Wing From Blu-Core?? Allora Foamies (Kits) 18 Jan 01, 2012 07:58 AM
Smallest Flying Wing Possible snowball1288 Foamies (Kits) 7 Dec 28, 2004 06:39 AM
how to make a plug for a wing mold chris higdon Composites Fabrication 11 Oct 22, 2004 03:26 AM
Is a jedelski flying wing possible? Moogee Modeling Science 14 Sep 05, 2002 10:36 PM