SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 03:11 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,690 Posts
Hi Nsg,

Probably you tried to have a very low-speed approach. As many friends reported that it always float in fast.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2010, 01:55 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsg View Post
The part I thought was less than great was the low-speed handling - looks like you need to keep the speed up.
Do you have aileron differential set up? Just a thought. Mine's still in kit form, I'm afraid so I can't comment on the handling. Adverse yaw from equal aileron travel can have a lot to do with the handling of a plane when you're trying to land or fly slowly. It can make it turn the opposite way you expect and you end up fighting it and seesawing from side to side.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Oct 18, 2010, 02:04 PM
nsg
Yardley, PA
Joined Sep 2006
4,155 Posts
Well, aileron differential is a thought, although the rolls didn't look too bad. However, I was using rudder rather than ailerons on final. Still, it's a thought..
nsg is offline Find More Posts by nsg
Old Oct 18, 2010, 02:09 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,773 Posts
Using just the rudder on the landing is best, yes.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Oct 18, 2010, 03:58 PM
nsg
Yardley, PA
Joined Sep 2006
4,155 Posts
That said, my question still stands. I found GWS-6 to be less than forgiving of low speeds, is that just me?
nsg is offline Find More Posts by nsg
Old Nov 10, 2010, 12:09 PM
Joined Jun 2009
143 Posts
Hey guys, I just read through this entire thread. It took me a few days. I have the nock off at-6 from BH and would like to purchase this one. It sounds so much better. Anyway, does anyone have a link to buy this kit. Thanks
Rick F. is offline Find More Posts by Rick F.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 06:40 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick F. View Post
Hey guys, I just read through this entire thread. It took me a few days. I have the nock off at-6 from BH and would like to purchase this one. It sounds so much better. Anyway, does anyone have a link to buy this kit. Thanks
Look on E-bay. There are usually some on there. Allerc.com or caliber
GiusedtoBe is online now Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Nov 11, 2010, 01:52 PM
Joined Jun 2009
143 Posts
Thanks !
Rick F. is offline Find More Posts by Rick F.
Old Dec 04, 2010, 04:20 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,290 Posts
Here's my AT-6, i found that mine had a tendency to tip stall during slow speed approaches.. (or a death spiral at very low altitude)...
she's a beauty when treated right though
and she showed me how tough she is when the wing bolt failed and the wing was torn off mid flight.... wing floated down while fuselage continued forward...
only damage was the cowl and mount which was easily fixed! =]
made the wing non-removable after that incident though
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2010, 07:43 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,310 Posts
yeah going slow is dangerous for any plane especially a warbird. the t6 is a very responsive airplane i am on my 2nd gws t6. the epo one is awesome i have a 450 class motor in mine and get 10 minutes out of a 22oo lipo about 8 with a 13oo. great kit and headsuprc has cowls and such these days. my pz planes are very docile i use the t6 for snap rolls and more aggressive type maneuvers.
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2011, 03:57 PM
add lightness
Big time Minneapolis, Good Ol' St Paul
Joined Oct 2007
1,121 Posts
Hi, I've had my GWS T-6 Texan made of EPO for about 3 or more years now. it's crashed about 5 times, but easy to fix as it does not go to pieces. it's getting a little rough and needs some cosmetic TLC and for sure a new cowl. but never the less as rough as it looks we did get a video of it last fall.

I custom painted it and also installed retracts.
It, like most warbirds, does not like to fly too slow or turn too tight, especially turn tight while flying slow I did find that adding in spoilerons in on aileron turns makes a huge difference for keeping it form dropping out of the sky in low slow tight turns. give it a try sometime.

btw if you want a very stable easy to fly and super slow flying warbird, check out the e-flite P-38. I've had one for 2+ years and it's very sable and can crawl by in the sky and float in like a feather. I belly land it.

anyhow, here is my video of me flying my GWS T-6 Texan EPO with retracts:

RC Plane GWS T-6 Texan EPO with Retracts (5 min 37 sec)

oh and I use:
-Zippy 3s 2200mah 20c lipo,
-Suppo 2217-06 1500kv outrunner way over propped with an APC 10x3.8 - as it sounds very nice and gives about 400 watts at full throttle - most flying is 1/2 throttle or less so as not to overheat the motor. motor mounted to the stick mount using the GWS plastic brushless motor mounts that are like 6 for $5. love those mounts.
-Castle Creations Thunderbird 54 esc
-six 9g servos
PositivelyJoe is offline Find More Posts by PositivelyJoe
Last edited by PositivelyJoe; Jan 04, 2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2011, 10:33 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,213 Posts
Anyone in the US need a replacement cowl and canopy for their T-6? I bought these a long time ago with the intention of repairing mine, but never did it and trashed the airframe. Can let them go cheap if anyone needs them.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Feb 05, 2011, 03:26 PM
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Dec 2007
619 Posts
PM sent
thrashmaster71 is offline Find More Posts by thrashmaster71
Old Feb 05, 2011, 04:52 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,213 Posts
Replied.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Mar 28, 2011, 08:13 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,310 Posts
Jimmy these are for you. Thanks alot for the parts.
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member