HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 09:51 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Andy, your LHS will sell 10mm square stick - not sure where you are but for example you could get it (for buttons) from Cheshire Models in Stockport - it'll be either be beech or spruce. Alternatively if you PM me with your address I'll post you a piece.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:33 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,709 Posts
Hi Chen,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sulking about it because it's a very nice kit, but I'd like to point out that

a) the parts list says the stick is included with the slope glider version. The UK distributer, JP, agree with me on this, as does the shop I bought it from.

b) people almost always buy the slope glider version to fit a power system of their own to it, because they don't want the stock GWS power system - usually, they want to fit a brushless motor. Very few people are mad enough to go slope soaring with a small scale model of a WWII trainer aircraft.

and

c) in a kit designed for a stick mounted power system, it's probably the easiest way of doing it.

What sort of wood is the official GWS stick made from? I'll have to order some.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:35 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,709 Posts
Thanks, Roger. I didn't see your reply til I'd finished typing mine. That's very kind of you. I've heard good things about Cheshire models, but I never actually saw the shop open when I used to drive past it.

I forgot to add "d";

d) The cost to GWS of including the stick, promised in the parts list, would have been very, very small, and would have increased the price of the kit by only a tiny amount. While I applaud your environmentally responsible attitude, I expect very few of those sticks would have gone unused.
Last edited by Andy2No; Oct 28, 2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 12:03 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Got your PM and I'll send off your stick tomorrow. Believe this or believe it not I just turned round and there was a motor stick lying on my office floor. HOW SPOOKY IS THAT?

It looks like someone trod on it (that'd be me) so I'll cut you a new one but I'll include the one I just found - there has to be some Mysterious Significance to it.
Probably give your plane some magic juju that makes it impervious to crashes LOL!
Old Oct 28, 2009, 01:30 PM
Germany
Joined Dec 2006
112 Posts
@Roger Lombard:
nice paintsheme and very good weathering...looks great

greetings
chris03
chris03 is offline Find More Posts by chris03
Old Oct 28, 2009, 01:46 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,709 Posts
Thanks, Roger. That's great. Extra juju is always useful too.

Now all I need is a voodoo curse to protect my car from being broken into when I go flying it, and I'm all set
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:27 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,640 Posts
Hi Roger,

Thank you for your kind help on this matter.

Hi Andy,

We tried hard to cut down the prices quoted on the SG kits of these new GWS warbirds, that's why this wooden stick was not included, while the NPS version kit came with this stick. I've reminded my colleagues to mark the part for telling SG verion clearer. Sorry for this matter.

And the stick was made from a kind of white wood, lighter and cheaper than birch, might be poplar.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Old Oct 29, 2009, 08:07 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,709 Posts
Chen,

I don't mean to seem rude, but how much do you estimate the price of the SG kit would have gone up if you'd included the stick? And how much is it going to cost to change all those manuals?

Hands up anyone who buys GWS "Slope Glider" kits to actually use as a slope glider.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 08:57 AM
nsg
Yardley, PA
Joined Sep 2006
4,057 Posts
Actually, I wish GWS ditched the stick mount altogether on their 40" planes and included a ply firewall with blind nuts and spacers instead.
nsg is offline Find More Posts by nsg
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:31 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
Chen,

I don't mean to seem rude, but how much do you estimate the price of the SG kit would have gone up if you'd included the stick? And how much is it going to cost to change all those manuals?

Hands up anyone who buys GWS "Slope Glider" kits to actually use as a slope glider.
Ah well - I'm afraid there's at least one. All of these, please believe me, are flying without power.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:54 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
16,971 Posts
One more opinion if you don't mind. The GWS Sloper kits (at least in the older planes) were set up so that you still put in the stick, then attached an empty gearbox and spinner to it. Otherwise, how would you be able to get the spinner on the plane (except to maybe glue it to the nose)?

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Oct 29, 2009, 02:43 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,709 Posts
nsg,

A plywood firewall would be good, yes. The plastic one that's included in the kit probably works well to stiffen up the nose, but wouldn't work at all well for mounting a motor on it.

Roger,

That's very impressive. I'm interested in slope soaring, but I don't know of anywhere to go. My club used to have somewhere they could go, but the owner of the land banned flying there before I ever had the chance to try it.

crxmanpat,

It hadn't occurred to me that people might want to build it as a pure slope glider but still want the stick included.

Mostly when I've read people saying they bought a GWS slope glider kit, they then went on to say what motor they've put in it... If i did go slope soaring, I'd still want a motor as a back up, to save me having to clamber after it if things went wrong.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 02:49 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
16,971 Posts
Andy,

When GWS original came up with the Slope Glider kits (the slope soarers were complaining that they didn't need motors in their kits), they basically just left the motor out of the gearbox. That way, for slope flying, all you did was leave off the prop but still put the spinner on like normal.

If they are now leaving the sticks out of the SG (or NPS) kits, slope soarers will have to come up with their own method of attaching a spinner.

If you want to do slope soaring, but still have a motor in the plane "just in case", then you'd need to use a power system that could handle a folding prop. Having a normal prop hanging off the plane will cause all sorts of drag and the plane won't fly as well.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Oct 29, 2009, 06:05 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
I have built a GWS T-6 EPO kit as a slope soarer and removed the motor from my Spitfire to go slope soaring. Both model are good slope soarers. My GWS Zero was also converted but has not yet flown as a soarer.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Oct 29, 2009 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Add photo
Old Oct 30, 2009, 09:23 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS CHEN View Post
Hi Roger,

Thank you for your kind help on this matter.

Hi Andy,

We tried hard to cut down the prices quoted on the SG kits of these new GWS warbirds, that's why this wooden stick was not included, while the NPS version kit came with this stick. I've reminded my colleagues to mark the part for telling SG verion clearer. Sorry for this matter.

And the stick was made from a kind of white wood, lighter and cheaper than birch, might be poplar.

Chen
I think it is made of basswood. Slope glider or not, knowing that many of us buy SG so we can add our own power system. The stick should be included, and like pat said atleast to be able to mount a spinner. I have bought SG kits that said there was no landing gear, and there was, and i have always received a stick. Somebody send this guy a stick.
ryramZ is online now Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ryramZ; Oct 30, 2009 at 09:32 PM.