HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 06, 2009, 06:40 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,626 Posts
shafferama,

That setup should work fine in the Texan. And you could even go as high as a 3S 2100 lipo in there as well.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2009, 09:17 PM
READY!
seattle, wa
Joined May 2008
623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
shafferama,

That setup should work fine in the Texan. And you could even go as high as a 3S 2100 lipo in there as well.

Pat
A 3S 2100 would give me longer flight times right? How does this plane fly? I still need to go through this thread some more but if you could give me a sense of this planes good and bad habits that'd be great!
shafferama is offline Find More Posts by shafferama
Old May 07, 2009, 10:55 AM
Captured RAF FW - 190
Worcestershire, UK
Joined Nov 2006
300 Posts
thanks Shafferama. I think I will disassemble the current motor setup & use the 2409 as recommended seeing as I have one already.

Pat I have adapted my battery bay to fit a 2200 3 cell its about the same size & weight as my 1800 pack (the rectangular sort) & figured I may as well use these instead of sourcing batteries to fit & spend extra money in the process.
I only had to remove a little foam. But the CG might be altered slightly due to the long batts. I just wondered if there was a reason you mentioned to go upto a 2100 ?
300s is offline Find More Posts by 300s
Old May 07, 2009, 01:59 PM
Forfeit Aircraft
Joined Jul 2007
78 Posts
I'm running a 2409-18T (1050KV) in mine with 3s-1650. AUW is 20.6 oz with no extras added.

In my experience the T6 likes a lower KV motor to swing a bigger prop (10")because it's a little heavier than the Formosa and GWS Warbirds and needs he extra thrust for decent flight at lower speeds and for verticals. I most commonly use a GWS 1060HD.

Don't get me wrong. It will fly with 9" props but you have to fly it fast and land it fast. In fact, for all out speed, the GWS9075 makes it a real burner.

I prefer thrust over speed because I like to fly more in the vertical. This doesn't work real well with 9" props and the 20.6 AUW.

In summary, get a bigger motor if you want to run a higher KV. Then you pull higher amps with a bigger prop and not fry it.

Hope this helps.
customcougar is offline Find More Posts by customcougar
Old May 08, 2009, 05:06 PM
Belmont, CA
Joined Jan 2006
588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by customcougar
I'm running a 2409-18T (1050KV) in mine with 3s-1650. AUW is 20.6 oz with no extras added.

In my experience the T6 likes a lower KV motor to swing a bigger prop (10")because it's a little heavier than the Formosa and GWS Warbirds and needs he extra thrust for decent flight at lower speeds and for verticals. I most commonly use a GWS 1060HD.

Don't get me wrong. It will fly with 9" props but you have to fly it fast and land it fast. In fact, for all out speed, the GWS9075 makes it a real burner.

I prefer thrust over speed because I like to fly more in the vertical. This doesn't work real well with 9" props and the 20.6 AUW.

In summary, get a bigger motor if you want to run a higher KV. Then you pull higher amps with a bigger prop and not fry it.

Hope this helps.
That's funny. I have had the opposite experience regarding "prefered" flying speed for this model. This thing is real floater for me and can handle much slower speeds than my GWS p-51 and can slow down just as well as my Corsair. It floats forever on power off landings.

FWIW, I'm using the stock brushless motor (2215?) and a 9075 prop. 3S 1200 mah lipo.
malibu43 is offline Find More Posts by malibu43
Old May 09, 2009, 09:17 AM
Forfeit Aircraft
Joined Jul 2007
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu43
That's funny. I have had the opposite experience regarding "prefered" flying speed for this model. This thing is real floater for me and can handle much slower speeds than my GWS p-51 and can slow down just as well as my Corsair. It floats forever on power off landings.

FWIW, I'm using the stock brushless motor (2215?) and a 9075 prop. 3S 1200 mah lipo.
Good to hear that. I'll have to play around with the thrust line. When I adjust CG to get it more "floaty", I get to much climb climb at full throttle.
Old May 11, 2009, 05:28 PM
Belmont, CA
Joined Jan 2006
588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by customcougar
Good to hear that. I'll have to play around with the thrust line. When I adjust CG to get it more "floaty", I get to much climb climb at full throttle.
I do have about 7-10% down elevator mixed in with the throttle. Before that I got lots of climbing at higher throttle settings.
malibu43 is offline Find More Posts by malibu43
Old May 12, 2009, 01:41 PM
Forfeit Aircraft
Joined Jul 2007
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu43
I do have about 7-10% down elevator mixed in with the throttle. Before that I got lots of climbing at higher throttle settings.
I just replaced my power system (motor, ESC and receiver) and came out almost an ounce lighter. Mostly from the motor. This made a huge a difference. Got me back to the GWS recommended CG of 90mm, but I still need to find a way to move it back a little more.

Was 20.6 oz AUW. Now 19.8 oz.

It's much more "floaty" now and with some more trimming could get better yet. I have everything back as far as possible but it still flies nose heavy. My next move is a smaller battery. Currently running 3S 1650's. Would like to try some 1320's. I really don't want to add tail weight so this is my only option.

The good news is that I can now fly a 9050 prop with no problems. Taking out that weight really made a difference here.

I was running a TP 2409-18T at 2.3 oz. I just put in a Power Up 400 Sport from headsuprc.com and this motor has all the power of the 2409-18T and weighs only 1.8 oz. Getting that 1/2 oz off the nose really made the big difference.
Old May 18, 2009, 11:29 AM
can't dance..so let's fly.
da zenith of indecision..
Joined Jun 2008
139 Posts
does the EPO version build tail heavier than the standard foam version?Thankx
JOE-TELLY is offline Find More Posts by JOE-TELLY
Old May 19, 2009, 01:43 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,700 Posts
Hi JOE-TELLY,

Yes, the EPO version is heavier, so does on its tail.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Old May 25, 2009, 01:33 AM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS CHEN
Hi JOE-TELLY,

Yes, the EPO version is heavier, so does on its tail.

Chen
Chen, hello. love gws.. been flying for a year, have t6, p40 epo,..spitfire, pt 17, slow stick..

i am having trouble with the t6 right now..it came with 2215 motor..at first seemed to be enough power now it seems weak, i am using the gws 10 6hd prop and a 30 amp esc from hobby king..use to be zippy now its drippy...help
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2009, 01:51 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,700 Posts
Hi RyramZ,

Would you make sure that if the Lipoly pack has been fully charged, and if the Lipoly pack has not been ruined.

Chen
Old May 25, 2009, 04:36 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS CHEN
Hi RyramZ,

Would you make sure that if the Lipoly pack has been fully charged, and if the Lipoly pack has not been ruined.

Chen

Chen, i must say i really appreciate you being available in all the many threads i have read.. My lipos are fully charged, i use 1320 thunder power, and tp 2100..is it possible that the 2100 is too much and damaged the motor..maybe too much full throttle...thanks for any input..trying to find out what i'm doing wrong...by the way i run a 3530 1400 kv with a 2100 lipo on my epo p40 with a 10 6 prop auw is 30.45 oz..this thing is very fast and has become my favorite, i really love the epo and the 39+wingspan...
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2009, 05:10 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ
Chen, i must say i really appreciate you being available in all the many threads i have read.. My lipos are fully charged, i use 1320 thunder power, and tp 2100..is it possible that the 2100 is too much and damaged the motor..maybe too much full throttle...thanks for any input..trying to find out what i'm doing wrong...by the way i run a 3530 1400 kv with a 2100 lipo on my epo p40 with a 10 6 prop auw is 30.45 oz..this thing is very fast and has become my favorite, i really love the epo and the 39+wingspan...
I had one of those TP 1320 Pro-Lite packs go bad. The symptom was as you say, the plane just didn't have power like it should. The battery still charged up to 12.6 volts, but when I put the wattmeter on it and ran up the power, instead of the normal voltage drop to 11.1 volts or so, it dropped down to about 10 volts. Bad battery.

If your battery is OK after a wattmeter test, maybe it is the motor. When I used that motor with a GWS 10x6 like you have, the motor got way hot. So I ended up propping down to a smaller prop to avoid overheating damage. From other reports I have read, it seems as though there are some quality variations in that motor as to what it can take and how much power it delivers.
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old May 25, 2009, 10:36 PM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,700 Posts
Hi RyramZ,

You'd be glad to know that there'll be more EPO GWS birds, tougher but a little heavier. Yes, too much full throttle with high capacity battery and without applying enough cooling on this motor might have been the problem. Did you fly this AT-6 for pylon racing ?

Chen