HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 04, 2007, 04:43 AM
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2002
66 Posts
Photos

I would like cheaper postage too, but I have get this one It will be interesting to see how our LHS prices check out at when the AT6 arrives. (would still have to mail order it in NZ)

I have attached a few Harvard (or AT6) photos. The 3 ground shots are mine taken at an airshow - Masterton 2005.
Regards
Gordon
Flywellnz is offline Find More Posts by Flywellnz
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2007, 08:14 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
My e/b AT-6 has cost $30 to ship - this is significantly less than I would have to pay to ship it from the US, despite the fact that even the west coast of the US is closer to the UK than Taiwan.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Apr 04, 2007, 09:11 AM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Roger -- okay... Let's look at this from another angle...

Let's say the AT6 has a retail price of $35, plus another $30 for shipping -- this is an early bird price. TOTAL PRICE = $65.

If I wait a few months, and order the same airplane from GWS USA, I still pay the same retail price ($35), but the shipping will be something like $20. TOTAL PRICE = $55.

If I wait a few weeks after that, I can buy the same airplane at my LHS -- for the retail price alone ($35). I will have to pay tax (which is about 8% here) -- another $3. TOTAL PRICE = $38.

Alternatively, I can order the same airplane from Tower Hobbies, for the retail price alone ($35). Since I'm a Tower Club member, I get free shipping (and no tax). TOTAL PRICE = $35.

Do you see the issue?
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Apr 04, 2007, 10:17 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Red I'm not arguing with you - you can buy just what you want, when you want and where you want and - forgive me - it is a matter of blinding indifference to me . The only point I'm making is that if, for whatever reason, you decide you want it badly enough to pay for the shipping then $30 from Taiwan to the UK is a good deal - fact, end of conversation, finito.

I could wait until it reaches the LHS in the UK - probably around July - September and if it's the same as the 262 it will retail in my preferred LHS for 20.99. I have a 100 round mile to collect it which is 12 in gas without including any other wear and tear or I could pay for it to be posted which would be 6.50. So the cheapest I could get it in about 4 months time would be 20.99 + 6.50 = 27.49 - that's $54.35 at today's rate of exchange.

Buying my E/B direct from GWS has actually cost me $65 in total so its cost me $10.65 extra to get it straight away and to have the fun of having one of the first ones in the country. To me that's a deal but I readily appreciate it may not work for you.

It seems where we might be disagreeing is that I think getting an airplane kit shipped by air half way round the world for 30 bucks ain't bad - if you don't agree then show me how I could do it cheaper (but just as quickly)

I've said before, and I'll say it again - you guys are very lucky in the deals you can on your home ground and if you can get one from Tower Hobbies with free shipping for $35 you're just proving my point but if I bought it from Tower Hobbies they'd charge me $50 to ship it to the UK so I'd be out for $85
Old Apr 04, 2007, 10:32 AM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Roger -- I guess my point is that the airplane I would purchase at my LHS was ALSO shipped half way around the world -- yet no additional shipping charge is levied.

If GWS can:
Make the airplane
Ship the airplane to my LHS
My LHS can sell the airplane at retail price
Everyone makes a profit
then...
...why is GWS charging an arm and a leg for their shipping (both inside the USA, and from China to the USA)?

The numbers just don't add up...
Old Apr 04, 2007, 10:55 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
I'll buy that point. The Taiwan/China to USA leg is of course MUCH cheaper because the kits are in a container on a ship (for routine imports) whereas the E/B's are airfreighted but I can't explain why GWS charge more to ship inside the US.

And I do think that because we're buying "beta" kits there should be a reduction in the kit cost but maybe - so they're not seen to be underselling their dealers - they're subsidising the airfreight rather than discounting the kit.
Old Apr 04, 2007, 01:51 PM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard
And I do think that because we're buying "beta" kits there should be a reduction in the kit cost but maybe - so they're not seen to be underselling their dealers - they're subsidising the airfreight rather than discounting the kit.
EXACTLY! Now we're on the same page!
Old Apr 04, 2007, 02:04 PM
UK - in the middle somewhere
Joined May 2002
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard
My e/b AT-6 has cost $30 to ship - t....
Roger, have you received you EB notification yet? I applied for EB membership a couple of weeks ago in the hope that I might ghet the AT6 on EB but have not heard about this kit. I would be happy to pay the $30.00 - by the time I have it shipped from a UK online hobbyshop it would probably be almost as much and my LHS is USELESS since it was sole to a new owner.

Cheers

Ratty
Hangar Rat is offline Find More Posts by Hangar Rat
Old Apr 04, 2007, 02:34 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangar Rat
Roger, have you received you EB notification yet? I applied for EB membership a couple of weeks ago in the hope that I might ghet the AT6 on EB but have not heard about this kit. I would be happy to pay the $30.00 - by the time I have it shipped from a UK online hobbyshop it would probably be almost as much and my LHS is USELESS since it was sole to a new owner.

Cheers

Ratty
May Huang has just taken over E/B from Joyce Hsing so your application might have fallen down a crack. I'd send an email direct to May - may1011@gws.com.tw
Old Apr 04, 2007, 05:29 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,142 Posts
Roger,

Did you actually get an email with shipping cost? I was still waiting on another email from May with the prices.

Maybe we needed to respond to the first email just to get on the list?

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Apr 05, 2007, 01:09 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Hi Pat,

The prices are in this thread but in a PDF document;

GWSAEO026A: GWS-T6 NPS White ------ $35
GWSAEO026M: GWS-T6 BL2215 White -- $60

I emailed May telling her I wanted to order an NPS as soon as she knew what the shipping cost was. She emailed me back telling me it was $30 and a day later sent me the order form and proforma invoice.

Please, please GWS (I've asked this before) if you're going to trade direct you need to do something about a secure ordering service. There is no way I am going to put all my credit card details on one form, including the security number. Apart from anything else its probably a breach of the terms of use of the card. I have a particular way of getting round it which I had to use (but which is still not very secure - just makes it a bit harder for the bad guys) and I also have a credit card which I use just for this sort of purpose that has such a low limit on it that that no-ones going far on free holiday off the back of it!! Surely, in the absence of something cleverer, GWS could set up a PayPal account?
Last edited by Roger Lombard; Apr 05, 2007 at 01:17 AM.
Old Apr 05, 2007, 04:49 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,665 Posts
Hi Pat,

Be sure to send another mail to May if you still have no response
on your E/B from her.

Hi Roger,

I've been told by friends of Yahoo R/C group that they don't think that PayPal account is safer.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Old Apr 05, 2007, 05:24 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
You're vulnerable to "phishing" with PayPal (if you fall for it) but it still has to be a million times safer than emailing or faxing a document with your card details AND your CCV2/CVC number. This is no criticism of the honesty of your employees Chen - these days the bad guys can intercept both faxes and emails.

Every professional on-line trader these days has a secure site and I think it's time GWS set one up - that's all I'm saying.
Old Apr 05, 2007, 06:10 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,665 Posts
Hi Roger,

Some Firewalls have been installed on GWS mail server. We're trying to make it safer as possible as we could. Since there have been a lot bad guys, so like what you applied that a special credit card with limited line on it would be another good way.

Some friends have tried to remit money to GWS account via special organization other than bank instead. I forgot what this organization was, might be West Union based in USA. This way would be as safe as remitting money via bank but I don't know if their charges/commissions are cheaper than bank ones.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Old Apr 05, 2007, 09:11 AM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Roger -- just relax, and send me your credit card information. I'll take care of everything!