HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 07, 2007, 06:57 AM
UK - in the middle somewhere
Joined May 2002
466 Posts
No Problem Chen! I suppose that I now have to stop watching TV and get into the workshop.

Hopefully by the end of the week end - I too have a boss - but I am sure not as nice as Mr Lin.

Cheers

Ratty
Hangar Rat is offline Find More Posts by Hangar Rat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2007, 08:24 AM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS CHEN
Hi Red,

GWS-15 certainly flies faster than P-40.
HUH? I didn't ask if the GWS-15 was faster than the P-40. I asked WHEN the P-40 would be released...
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Jun 07, 2007, 08:49 AM
UK - in the middle somewhere
Joined May 2002
466 Posts
LOL. Red, it was not a specific comment on your question on the P-40, just to say that hopefully now GWS had the F-15 kit out of the way, the P-40 should be soon - and to add a little encouragement to get an move on!
Cheers
Ratty
Hangar Rat is offline Find More Posts by Hangar Rat
Old Jun 07, 2007, 01:18 PM
Joined Jul 2004
658 Posts
Is there any other places where I can get AT-6 other than epyaya.com ?
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on one.
CaptEvo is offline Find More Posts by CaptEvo
Old Jun 07, 2007, 01:34 PM
Joined Jul 2004
658 Posts
I've been reading this thread and the GWS-190 thread.
Some thing is telling me that the GWS BLM004A is not the right choice for these planes... Now I'm stuck between getting the combo from epyaya or self build combo starting with white NPS. I have an Atlas 2312/9 sitting around, similar to AXI PM221226. Do you think this would be a good application to use?
Old Jun 07, 2007, 02:19 PM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
I don't know anything about your two motors, but I will tell you that a "self build combo, starting with white NPS" is ALWAYS the way to go.
Old Jun 07, 2007, 03:09 PM
Joined Jul 2004
658 Posts
Reading the other build thread, some even like the BP-12T... I think I'll do with white NPS

EPYAYA charges at least $15.00 to ship to me... Since I was having problem choosing between the 190 and t-6. I got both NPS + some props to make $100 order for free shipping.

Now, what am I ginna tell my wife?
Old Jun 07, 2007, 03:52 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,509 Posts
The GWS BLM004A (2215/12) is a good choice provided you have the right prop. I had performance issues with my 190 until I started using the HD1075. It's not a hot rod but speed is pretty good and very manageable acrobatically. I've pulled off consecutive Immelmans for a altitude gaining maneuver - not as spectacular as straight up but hey - it's a WWII fighter. From all that I have read, the AT-6 is a lighter plane and will perform better with the 2215/12.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Jun 07, 2007, 04:12 PM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptEvo
Now, what am I ginna tell my wife?
Oh -- that's EASY. Just tell her one of the airplanes is HERS, and she gets to take her pick.

By the way -- is that your wife in your avitar?
Old Jun 07, 2007, 05:44 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdr
The GWS BLM004A (2215/12) is a good choice provided you have the right prop. I had performance issues with my 190 until I started using the HD1075. It's not a hot rod but speed is pretty good and very manageable acrobatically. I've pulled off consecutive Immelmans for a altitude gaining maneuver - not as spectacular as straight up but hey - it's a WWII fighter. From all that I have read, the AT-6 is a lighter plane and will perform better with the 2215/12.

Jim
Ihave the 2215/12 on my At-6 Harvard and I normaly use the use the GWS 9 x 5 HD to keep the speed down. I did make two flights with the 9 x 7.5 and it preformed well. But on both these flights I was flying on 1/2 throttle becase I was making flight tests with the flaps down 45 degrees.

As Jim says these are WWII aeroplanes and their scale speeds are not very high. For the Harvard the scale speed is 17 mph and the GWS-190s scale speed is 40 mph.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Jun 08, 2007 at 02:52 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 08, 2007, 01:39 AM
Belmont, CA
Joined Jan 2006
588 Posts
Building is complete on my AT-6. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to maiden on Saturday if the weather's nice enough.

I had some small snags or issues during the build, but nothing that most other people didn't already cover here or in the early bird thread. Here are the only two things I couldn't figure out:

1. Motor wires come out of the motor and mount and run straight into where the prop will be. Is there a way to route the wires out the back of the motor instead (without reversing the shaft and mounting it the other way...)?

2. The screws for the main landing gear are WAY TOO BIG for the landing gear mounts. It's not an issue right away, since I plan on hand launching and belling landing anyway, but at some point I might like to fly with the landing gear. I have some screws from other GWS kits, and they're too small. So for now, I can't use the landing gear.

Please let me know if you have solutions for either of these problems! Thanks!
malibu43 is offline Find More Posts by malibu43
Old Jun 08, 2007, 02:28 AM
diligentia vis celeritas
Corona, CA
Joined Feb 2006
3,547 Posts
m43,

what motor are you using?...if the cowl cannot shield the wires, then possibly you can pull them taut and zip tie them down onto the stick mount...as to the gear mount screws holes being too small, i would open them slowly and slightly with a heated t pin...

i've had my kit now for a couple weeks but still haven't decided whether to build it stock or bash it into something else...
gunracer is offline Find More Posts by gunracer
Old Jun 08, 2007, 03:16 AM
Belmont, CA
Joined Jan 2006
588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunracer
m43,

what motor are you using?...if the cowl cannot shield the wires, then possibly you can pull them taut and zip tie them down onto the stick mount...as to the gear mount screws holes being too small, i would open them slowly and slightly with a heated t pin...

i've had my kit now for a couple weeks but still haven't decided whether to build it stock or bash it into something else...
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I'm using the GWS 2212-15 that came with my kit. The motor wires come right out the front of the motor. I have them pulled back right now and taped to the stick mount, but there's only a few mm clearance between the wires and the prop.
malibu43 is offline Find More Posts by malibu43
Old Jun 08, 2007, 05:28 AM
NW Victoria Australia
Joined Sep 2003
482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu43
2. The screws for the main landing gear are WAY TOO BIG for the landing gear mounts. It's not an issue right away, since I plan on hand launching and belling landing anyway, but at some point I might like to fly with the landing gear. I have some screws from other GWS kits, and they're too small. So for now, I can't use the landing gear.

The screws are tight but will go in, I used 2 on each wing side as the heads are quite large. If you run a drill down the holes this will help, not too big though, you just need to ease the holes.

The landing gear base plate is a vast improvement on previous offerings as they have four screw holes so screws can be offset correctly on each side and are better reinforced on the inside
Bthree is offline Find More Posts by Bthree
Old Jun 08, 2007, 06:20 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
HUH? I didn't ask if the GWS-15 was faster than the P-40. I asked WHEN the P-40 would be released...
I've not been told when P-40 would be released. It will certainly be released after GWS-15. This's the fact that GWS-15 flies faster than P-40. Currently, my colleagues are working more on GWS-15. I thought it's the right answer.

Ratty, you got my points. Thanks.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN