HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 21, 2007, 01:22 AM
UK - in the middle somewhere
Joined May 2002
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS CHEN
In my idea the short nose would be with more scale looking, but the long nose would be with enough length for lighter motor to be mounted a bit forward.

Chen
Chen is quite right - the 'short nose' version is definately more scale. I intend to shorten the motor mounting stick to allow for that.

Cheers

Ratty
Hangar Rat is offline Find More Posts by Hangar Rat
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2007, 04:34 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Be careful about that, Ratty. I think kensp made a comment about being glad he hadn't glued the stick until he'd checked motor position. Also my recent experiment in landing vertically had, as I thought, knocked my stick loose so I loaded some epoxy in. It was only afterwards (and too late ) that I realised the stick had also gone backwards so I've had to be creative in getting it all set up so that I have enough shaft sticking out of the cowl to fit a propeller. I now have the short short nose version!
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old May 21, 2007, 05:17 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,640 Posts
Hi Ratty,

Suggest trying to balance your Harvard, locate the CG first.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Old May 21, 2007, 05:56 AM
Joined May 2002
466 Posts
Thanks Both,

I will be careful. I will start with the standard setup, check the CG and then work from that backwards! The recommended CG position obviously has to be mainained. Looking at my current rough fit, it only has to be moved back a little.

Cheers
Ratty
Old May 21, 2007, 10:05 AM
Flyboy
Annapolis, Md
Joined Oct 2004
735 Posts
I finished my T-6 yesterday and I noticed that at the recommended CG it is also noseheavy. If I use a 1000 MAh 3 cell pack with my Hacker A20-22L and push the pack all the way back it will only be a little noseheavy and require maybe a 1/4 oz of tail ballast. If I use a 1300 mah 3 cell pack, which is my first choice, I will need almost a full oz. of tail ballast. I can't decide which to use. What size packs are you guys using and what kind of flying time are you getting from them with conservative throttle use?

I made my own landing gear struts which measure 3-1/4 long from wing bottom to axle and have the axles facing outward. This, with some scale wheels that look a little more scale then the nice wheels that were provided, make the plane look really good.

I also found that my engine cowling is such a tight fit that I do not have to use the included snaps. It friction fits on nicely. One thing I couldn't figure out is how to remove the pack compartment hatch when it is tucked under the plastic cowling. If I cut a notch on the top to allow the hatch to be lifted out, I will lose my friction fit. So, since my pack has to be all the way back in the compartment for CG, I cut about an inch from the front of the hatch, glued to the nose and then I tuck the remaining 1/8 inch under the plastic cowling. It works great and is a possibility for you to consider.

I'm anxious to fly this bird. My AUW is about 21 oz with 2 to 3 coats of paint.

Bill
Bill Lesko is offline Find More Posts by Bill Lesko
Old May 22, 2007, 06:33 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,640 Posts
Hi Bill,

Great Jobs !

Would it be better to mount the motor little bit backward for nose
heavy problem ? Or move the Lipoly pack bit backward ?

AT-6 would floats very well on final.

Have a good maiden flight !

Chen
Old May 22, 2007, 02:34 PM
Evansville Indiana
Joined Aug 2006
230 Posts
Chen, I was at my LHS today to order the AT-6, the owner called GWS USA to order and he was told that GWS would no longer be selling slope gliders/No power systems. From you initial post it looks like you are still selling SG/NPS, any reason GWS USA would be saying that?

Jay
dellavex is offline Find More Posts by dellavex
Old May 22, 2007, 02:59 PM
Belmont, CA
Joined Jan 2006
588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellavex
Chen, I was at my LHS today to order the AT-6, the owner called GWS USA to order and he was told that GWS would no longer be selling slope gliders/No power systems. From you initial post it looks like you are still selling SG/NPS, any reason GWS USA would be saying that?

Jay
I also noticed that Tower Hobbies, BP Hobbies, and EPYAYA no longer offer slope glider versions of any of the older warbirds. Those things were the best deals ever! I'd hate to not have those around anymore.
malibu43 is offline Find More Posts by malibu43
Old May 22, 2007, 04:21 PM
The art of Crashing
Joined Dec 2006
590 Posts
I heard the same about the slope glider, from a store I just bought the AT-6 kit. I certainly hope this isn't the route that GWS is headed.
The Bandit is offline Find More Posts by The Bandit
Old May 22, 2007, 04:29 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
16,972 Posts
I don't think it's GWS, it's the individual shops. Shops can stock the more expensive painted and powered versions of the same planes, and make more profit per unit.

However, I have been able to get my LHS to order SG versions of the older kits for me. Plus Mr Lin still talks about producing SG kits as well.

My main preference now is NPS white. I typically power my kits with what I feel is the best setup for my style of flying and my local conditions (1700' AGL, and extremely hot air in the summer). Sometimes the power systems in the kits won't cut it for me. And I don't want it painted as I want something I can customize as my own, and not look the same as everyone else's planes.

My 2.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old May 22, 2007, 04:29 PM
Belmont, CA
Joined Jan 2006
588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit
I heard the same about the slope glider, from a store I just bought the AT-6 kit. I certainly hope this isn't the route that GWS is headed.
Yeah. I can see how it might make sense with the new planes, since they come with descent brushless motors. People may not mind paying the extra money for them.

But there's no way I'm going to pay $50 for a Zero or ME109 kit just because it comes with a brushed motor I'll never use. I've got two complete brushless power systems for the smaller sized GWS planes, so it would be great to be able to spend $25 on slope gliders and keep the changing the same power system to new planes.

If that price is now $40-$50 because the kit has a useless motor in it and it's painted already, my strategy will no longer work.
malibu43 is offline Find More Posts by malibu43
Old May 23, 2007, 06:13 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,640 Posts
Hi Jay, Malibu 43 and the Bandit,

There're two GWS AT-6 powered versions, EPS350 brushed motor one and 2215 Brushless motor one. The EPS350 one is cheap, the 2215 would be bit expensive but not too expensive. I'd believe most of these AT-6 were 2215 ones. Well, I do not have any idea about marketing plicy of GWS USA. I'd need to keep them informed of all your words.

Chen
Old May 23, 2007, 06:29 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,640 Posts
Hi Friends,

The following pictures were sent by our valued friend, Mr. Bill Lesko. He'd be pleased to have these posted on this forum.
Last edited by GWS CHEN; May 23, 2007 at 06:35 AM.
Old May 23, 2007, 06:35 AM
Joined May 2002
466 Posts
Very Nice Bill! Congratulations!

Cheers

Ratty
Old May 23, 2007, 10:20 AM
diligentia vis celeritas
Corona, CA
Joined Feb 2006
3,547 Posts
very nice work bill...i like the canopy and gear mods...where you'd get the curious george pilot figure?...
gunracer is offline Find More Posts by gunracer