HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 18, 2007, 05:05 PM
The art of Crashing
Joined Dec 2006
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu43
Actually, I have seen that one, but I have to agree with Roger's post here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...52&postcount=4

These bigger warbirds are giving me a hard enough time as it is, as they require different motors, more servos, more storage space, and more room to fly than my current GWS fleet. The last thing I need is to buy bigger more expensive batteries and twice as many motors for each plane.
Oh, I know what you mean. If I get the F-15 that's 4 models that would be twin engine, 3 of which are ducted fan. But the cool factor is so hard to resist. If I get 1 decent size 4 cell...it can go in at least the ducted fan models. Well, at least that's how I talked myself into it. Then there's my C-130...and when GWS puts out a B-17...well, it just gets worse. If it wasn't for the thrill of a multi-engine plane...I would probably jump in the same boat as you two.
The Bandit is offline Find More Posts by The Bandit
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2007, 06:07 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,208 Posts
FWIW, I have to say I'm quite pleased with the old standard BP21F on my AT-6 with a GWS 9050HD. Hauls it around pretty good. But then again, it only weighs 19.1oz AUW.

Bring on the 40" wingspan warbirds GWS!

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old May 18, 2007, 06:44 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
I am giving the F-15 a miss because I am not that interesed in modern Jets. A colour scheme of all over Air Superioriy Grey with Dark Grey markings is nowhere near as colourfull as the WWII Warbirds.

I will be buildimg an Early Bird P-40 though. In the meantime I have started building an own design B-17 and I am working out the design of how to fit retracts and flaps to the GWS A-6 wing. I will have to try to get an extra wing to work on. Chen can this be arranged.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old May 18, 2007, 10:40 PM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
Wow, I usually take 5-6 planes to the field each weekend. Don't know what I'd do if I only had 3-4 to choose from.

Pat
Someone looked in my vehicle at the club flying field the other day and said "That's not a vehicle, its a hangar!" On the day I took the AT-6 pics I was quite restrained - apart from the T-6, Zero and DR-1 in the pictures I only had the TM400, a P47D and my baby September Fury micro-racer left in the "hangar"!!! Hopefully tomorrow I'm going sloping - so let me see that'll be the Easy Glider, Fox, Speedo, Weasel, 190, 262, A-10 and maybe I'll just wedge the Alula on top.

Having said that I think there's a strong argument for sticking with one or two planes and getting to know them really well. Problem is I like making new ones, GWS keeps the financial pain as low as possible and as Malibu said - you don't want to keep them in the closet But I do have my bankers. I would never go out electric flying without my Zero because the old girl and I were very comfortable together. I've got a new Zero (same spec) which flies just as well but I still rake the old original one out of retirement. And I wouldn't go to the slope without the Weasel because it has a great tolerance of wind speeds - just hang more or less church roof on the velcro patch on her tummy!!

Also I have to confess that however many I take I rarely get to fly them all!
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old May 19, 2007, 12:39 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,208 Posts
In my car right now for tomorrow's flying session:

GWS Corsair
GWS-T6
GWS Cargotrans Quad
ParkZone P-51
ParkZone Spitfire
StrangeBird 28

And I make sure everything gets at least one flight.

Not to mention 3 radios, 2 field boxes, marine battery and charger and a bag of goodies for my clubmates. I restrained myself somewhat today when packing.

Pat
Old May 19, 2007, 12:59 AM
just a rumour
Joined Jun 2006
876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill L
It came with real wheels rather than those silly spoked wheels which I always immediately threw away.
You threw them away! What how wh... ? You might need them sometime.

Drusky
Who has all the extra bits in a box under the cupboard in a room.
Drusky is offline Find More Posts by Drusky
Old May 19, 2007, 10:28 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,689 Posts
Hi Ken,

It's a good idea from Early Bird ! Yes, it can be arranged. Would you contact service@gws.com.tw .

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Old May 20, 2007, 02:45 AM
Sky shepherd
Singapore
Joined Dec 2005
662 Posts
Guys,
my aircraft is complete and has just taxied. BUt it seems the aircraft is nose heavy. I never had this problem with GWS aircraft cos all of them are tail heavy. Is it still safe to fly with a heavy nose?
UH-1H is offline Find More Posts by UH-1H
Last edited by UH-1H; May 20, 2007 at 02:50 AM.
Old May 20, 2007, 02:59 AM
NW Victoria Australia
Joined Sep 2003
482 Posts
Manual says CofG is 90mm, no one has disputed this measurement yet !

If on the other hand you are saying the model has a tendancy to tip forward when taxying.
I note you have opted for the long nose option which will add to ground balance instability. In this case just bend the wheels forward 10-15mm which will help.
Bthree is offline Find More Posts by Bthree
Old May 20, 2007, 03:31 AM
Sky shepherd
Singapore
Joined Dec 2005
662 Posts
I mean, when i tried to check its CG its nose heavy. With the old GWS planes, i was advice to add weight to the nose so as to make it balance and also its ok for a nose heavy plane. But this plane is huge, i was wondering is it still safe
UH-1H is offline Find More Posts by UH-1H
Old May 20, 2007, 04:00 AM
NW Victoria Australia
Joined Sep 2003
482 Posts
If the CofG is not correct you have to make it so. GWS are better with their CofG points than they used to be

This may mean placing weight on the tail or rear of balance point (further back the better, or shortening the nose.

Moving the batery back is an easy fix

You are using the long nose option so dropping back by 10mm would be easy if your motor will shift back.

The APC prop and spinner nut are heavy and will increase your problem.
Bthree is offline Find More Posts by Bthree
Old May 20, 2007, 12:41 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,208 Posts
I'm flying at about 85mm. I did not have to add any ballast to my plane, I just move the battery back as far as it will go in the tray.

You don't want to be nose heavy on this plane as it does show a tendency to "drop" suddenly at very low speeds on approach. I've learned to keep minimal power on until the moment before touchdown.

Pat
Old May 20, 2007, 01:01 PM
Belmont, CA
Joined Jan 2006
588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bthree
Manual says CofG is 90mm, no one has disputed this measurement yet !

If on the other hand you are saying the model has a tendancy to tip forward when taxying.
I note you have opted for the long nose option which will add to ground balance instability. In this case just bend the wheels forward 10-15mm which will help.
I was not aware there were two different varaiants of the T-6. What's the story on the difference between long nose and short nose?
malibu43 is offline Find More Posts by malibu43
Old May 20, 2007, 09:21 PM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,689 Posts
In my idea the short nose would be with more scale looking, but the long nose would be with enough length for lighter motor to be mounted a bit forward.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Old May 21, 2007, 12:04 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu43
I was not aware there were two different varaiants of the T-6. What's the story on the difference between long nose and short nose?
The cowl has two sets of guide "dimples" for the press stud fasteners. If you drill the rear set you get the long nose version. If you drill the forward set and then trim away the now unneeded rear of the cowl you get the short nose. I believe, as Chen has said, that this has nothing to do with variants in the full size plane - it just gives you flexibility with achieving your CG. With a 2215/12 mounted conventionally on the rear of the GWS outrunner stick mount the plane balances without additional ballast and needs the short cowl.

Whichever you use, drill the holes for the press studs undersize so that they have to be "popped" into place. This makes them captive because you don't want to be losing them.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard