HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 09, 2007, 09:52 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,119 Posts
Ray,

Thank you for posting some of my pics on the front of this thread. I will be sending you some more high res shots this weekend, including some in-flight pics.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2007, 08:07 AM
Flyboy
Annapolis, Md
Joined Oct 2004
735 Posts
Hey guys, EPYAYA has about a half a dozen unpainted, powered and non-powered T-6 kits available as of yesterday. A special friend of mine gave me a tip on these and I purchased one of the unpowered kits. Get them while they are available as they won't be there long. Bill
Bill Lesko is offline Find More Posts by Bill Lesko
Old May 11, 2007, 10:23 AM
Flyboy
Annapolis, Md
Joined Oct 2004
735 Posts
Can someone answer this question? Years ago, I distinctly remember seeing what I thought was a T-6 varient that had fixed landing gear and I thought it was a Canadian bird too. Does anyone have any info on this? Bill
Old May 11, 2007, 10:55 AM
East Hartford, CT
Joined Sep 2006
1,304 Posts
I believe this has been talked about in both current T-6 threads. Take a look through the pages. Pictures were posted so you can find it easily looking at just those
wedge98 is offline Find More Posts by wedge98
Old May 11, 2007, 11:22 AM
UK - in the middle somewhere
Joined May 2002
466 Posts
Bill,
you are, of course, right. There were a number of variants of the T-6 / Harvard family, which started with (arguably) the GA-16 which begat the BT-9 which begat....various NA models up to the NA-36. Probably the model you recall is the BT-9 through to the BT-14. It was also known as the Yale. There were so many differing versions of the Harvard predecessors that it would take a lot of writing to cover them! No, I'm not really a sad case but was lucky enough to pick up an excellent book on the SNJ / Harvard / Wirraway series - from which I quote! The book is "North American T-6" by Peter C Smith Pub:Crowood Press; ISBN 1 86126 382 1. See picture below of the BT-9 which comes from http://www.boeing.com/history/bna/bt9.htm

A single NA-16 - fixed undercarrage version of the Harvard 1 was also sent to Australia together with an NA-33 (retractable U/C). This led to the Wirraway which was produced by the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation. Not sure about the Canadian versions.

Hope that helps!

Ratty
Hangar Rat is offline Find More Posts by Hangar Rat
Old May 11, 2007, 12:41 PM
Flyboy
Annapolis, Md
Joined Oct 2004
735 Posts
Thanks Ratty, and I use your name with all due respect. The Yale..... yep, I thought I wasn't hullicinating. Thanks for the pic too. I'm haven't decided whether to put retracts on my T-6 or not. Retracts would be cool but that's more work, weight and greater repair potential. I guess I'm looking for an excuse to not give it retracts. We'll see. Have a good weekend and get some flying in too. Bill
Old May 11, 2007, 12:49 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
I recently saw the two airplanes you describe, side by side, at the same air show.

When I asked the owner about the one with the fixed landing gear, I was told the initial design for the A-T6 had fixed landing gear. It did not meet the government's requirements, so it was sent back to the drawing board for that (and a few other) modification(s).

He went on to say that the fixed landing gear "prototype" went on to be purchased by a different branch of the Armed Forces (I think it was the Navy, because the Navy wanted STOUT landing gear for their carrier landings). It was called something different than an A-T6 when it was mass produced.
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old May 11, 2007, 02:15 PM
UK - in the middle somewhere
Joined May 2002
466 Posts
Bt-9

Bill,

The BT part of the designation refers to the fact that it is a Basic Trainer - thus the fixed undercarrage - pupils can't forget to put the wheels down before landing! . The RCAF eventually acquired a total of 119 Yale aircraft between 23 August, 1940 and 25 September, 1946. Assembly of the Yale in Canada was licenced to Norduyn.

From a modelling point of view, see the pix below - the undercarrage should not be that difficult to mock up. As I seldom fly off a prepared field, I have to do mine 'undercarrage up'!

Red: The green aircraft in your pix is in fact a Vultee BT-13A Valiant. See the pix for other shots of the aircraft. The thing that tipped me off was the difference in the tail section - as you said. Now... if you took the tail of the GWS Corsair and matched it to the AT-6, you would have a Valiant! Well done GWS for providing the potential for kit bashing

Sorry, I'm rambling again. Nurse, the medicine quick...

Bill - Ratty it is - the origin of the Hangar Rat lies in the fact that 'hangar rats' can be found at most airports cleaning hangars and aircraft in return for a trip!! I am Hangar-Ratting at a company called Delta Jets at the moment - not that I'll ever get a ride! Anyway, it keeps me current in removing Hawker Hunter ejection seats.

Cheers

Ratty
Hangar Rat is offline Find More Posts by Hangar Rat
Old May 13, 2007, 10:54 PM
Belmont, CA
Joined Jan 2006
588 Posts
I had a chance to see some AT-6's this weekend at "WWII Trainer Day" at the local aviation museum, so logically I'm really thinking of getting one now. I have a GWS 2208 and the e-flight geared brushed 480 w/ a 10x8 prop. I was hoping to use one of these with a 3S to power the Texan.

The 480 moves my PT-17 around with plenty of authority, and it's meant for the e-flight p-47, which is sized pretty similarly to the Texan.

If I go with the GWS 2208, I'd like to use it with either a 9x5, 9x7.5, or 10x6 prop. I'm not sure how high I can go w/o over proping the motor.

Given anyone's experience with the AT-6 so far, which (if either) of these power systems would work well with the AT-6? What kind of AUW have you been getting, and with what battery?

Also, this is the scheme I was thinking of doing. Does anyone have more details on this paint scheme?
malibu43 is offline Find More Posts by malibu43
Old May 14, 2007, 12:23 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,663 Posts
Hi Malibu43,

It'd be better to use 2215 + Prop. EP1060 or EP9070 or HD9075 + 3-cell 11.1V Lipoly pack on GWS AT-6.
2208 has not been tested by GWS to work on it. Prop 10x6 and 9x7.5 or even 9x5 would be oversized for 2208 with 11.1V Lipoly.

The suggested AUW is 500 - 610 grams (17.6 -21.5 oz.). It seems 2208 setup might work for it if you build it lighter, and you don't let it climb steeply.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Last edited by GWS CHEN; May 14, 2007 at 12:46 AM.
Old May 14, 2007, 02:50 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu43
I have a GWS 2208 and the e-flight geared brushed 480 w/ a 10x8 prop. I was hoping to use one of these with a 3S to power the Texan.

If I go with the GWS 2208, I'd like to use it with either a 9x5, 9x7.5, or 10x6 prop. I'm not sure how high I can go w/o over proping the motor.

Given anyone's experience with the AT-6 so far, which (if either) of these power systems would work well with the AT-6? What kind of AUW have you been getting, and with what battery?
Here are some figures for the GWS 2208-18 on three cells. Based on these tests and my flying of an 19.4 oz Early Bird GWS A-6 I would go for the GWS 9 x 5 HD propeller.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old May 14, 2007, 04:11 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,663 Posts
Hi Ken and Malibu,

It'd be better to pull back throttle at times if you use EP9050 on
2208 with 3-cell 11.1V Lipoly pack. Check up this link for Watts limitation, http://www.gwsus.com/images/note%20book/gwblm002.jpg

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Old May 14, 2007, 04:39 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS CHEN
Hi Ken and Malibu,

It'd be better to pull back throttle at times if you use EP9050 on
2208 with 3-cell 11.1V Lipoly pack. Check up this link for Watts limitation, http://www.gwsus.com/images/note%20book/gwblm002.jpg

Chen
Chen

Definitely, that is why the 2215-12 is a better choise than the 2208-18.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old May 14, 2007, 07:34 AM
Flyboy
Annapolis, Md
Joined Oct 2004
735 Posts
Well things are looking pretty good in the Annapolis T-6 scene. I purchased my T-6 Friday and my two flying buddies purchased thiers on Saturday. So, we will have three Texans, correction I've decided to make mine a fixed gear "Yale," all in the pattern at the same time. I see some potential for mock Reno air races too. Thanks Mr. Lin and Chen for making this happen. Bill

P.S. for the scale guys, yes, I will shave off the landing gear wheel well bulge on the inboard leading edge if there is one on there.
Old May 14, 2007, 06:19 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
It's always worth for you to wait for GWS made it!

Now, lets look back to this ugly black duck was trun into a Swan!

It's always worth for you to wait for GWS made it!

Did I say anything wrong?
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO