SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 26, 2007, 09:39 PM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
Discussion
Scale Build Off 4. 82" B24 plans built kind of second go around.

I'm making a second try at this plane and entering it in another buildoff since there happens to be one going on so once again the title changes. Build number 2 starts around post 205 in the thread.

Edit comments here. With the start of the Buildoff for the less talented going now I am entering this plane. I'm changing the thread title. Sorry for the confusion.

I couldn't help myself and started another project. My very slow going Albatross DVA is taking a break for a while. I've had a long standing desire to build a bomber and this thing has been itching at me since last September. These plans were in Model Aviation in September 2006. The stats are 1/16th scale, 82.5 inch span.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/plansall/b-plans.pdf

I orderd the plans almost as soon as I got the magazine. I just finally had some time to get started on it. So far I've got the wing ribs cut out. Will add pictures soon. (need to sort out new computer and digital camera still) It is going to have retracts. Most likely some form of mechanical. Power will most likely be gear speed 400's. Maybe longcan 480's depending on how the weight is looking later on. Batteries, some form of nimh.
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
Last edited by RyanPSU21; Oct 21, 2014 at 11:32 PM. Reason: changing thread title for buildoff and adding comments.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2007, 07:06 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
I finally got all the parts cutout and I'm ordering balsa tomorrow evening to get started on this. The fuselage sides and wing spars need to come from 48" stock which I don't have at the moment. Also going to order a nose gear retract.

Right now I have a set of Hobbico main gear retracts and will probably order a matching nose gear. I'm not real sure on the reliability of these. They are for a ".40" size airplane. This B24 should come in somewhere between 6 and 8 pounds and will I'm sure be on the slower side of things so it shouldn't be too rough on the landing gear. Anyone have any better suggestions on retracts to use for this?

Old Apr 15, 2007, 09:42 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,073 Posts
Yer gonna need a bigger ceiling tile my friend
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Apr 16, 2007, 06:29 AM
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
LOL.

It's 4ft x 3ft. The fuselage is just under 4ft long. The wing halves are 41 inches. Everything will fit on it up until joining the wing halves.
Old May 09, 2007, 09:36 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
I finally got the wood I ordered for this thing. Conviently I got an email with the shipping confirmation hours after I sent a note asking where the order was since I had not recieved it yet 2 weeks after placing it. So anyways. More to come soon here now.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 09:46 AM
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
I finally passed a major milestone on this thing this morning and actually glued parts together. I took about a month off after waiting about a month to get the wood to build a 4star40 real quick but now I'm back to this again. I'm starting off with the fuselage and have the side assemblies (side, ply doubler, and basswood wing saddle/mount) here stuck together.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 07:59 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
I got the first 2 fuselage formers glued in tonight. Next I need to tackle the nose former where the nose retract is going to mount. It's going to be an interesting fit up there to fit a servo in for the retract in front of the former it's mounting too.
Old Aug 05, 2007, 10:18 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
I got all the fuselage formers finished up this afternoon. I still need to figure out the nose retract. It would be much easier if the nose gear retracted rearward instead of forward. The retract servo and rudder servo will both need to be hidden up in the nose in front of the retract to accomodate this.
Old Sep 08, 2007, 08:07 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
I made some progress again. After a few weeks of frustration and mucking with my recent 4*40 a bit more I have now got the front retract installation finished. Clearly mechanical retracts are all meant for planes where the nose retracts rearward and the mains inboard. This place is the opposite for all 3 gear so I now know there will be some fun times with the linkage for the mains as well so that I only need 1 servo in the wing. I have a Hitec Hs-81 in there for the retract servo. I may go to an HS-85mg. The servo that's in there now I use for setup only as it's a bit iffy in the pots or something so isn't safe for flying. I had to do the gear linkage about 3 times. First time I got it working but the nose wheel hit it before it could retract fully. I had to rebend it but I think it's a little better on second try since the wire only has 1 bend instead of 2 and is a bit more straight.
Old Sep 09, 2007, 05:56 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
924 Posts
I used Hobbyco retracts on my B-36 which weighs 10 1/2 pounds & are standing up well. Your nosegear looks different to mine, is it a Hobbyco? I modified mine to allow the servo to fit behind the forward retracting nosegear. - John.
Boomerang1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomerang1
Old Sep 09, 2007, 10:16 AM
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
The nose gear is a robart. I don't have much in the way of skills or tools for modifying the retract so in front of it the servo goes. I should have plenty of access to it through the nose wheel hole anyways.

The mains I have for it are hobbico. I'm not sure if that is the same as Hobbyco in austrailia.

Nose wheel Robart 602.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMJJ7&P=0

Main gears Hobbico
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL407&P=0

If this thing comes in anywhere above 6.5 pounds I'm going to be ticked. The glow original was 6 pounds. I've gone contest weight wood everywhere with a lot of thickness reduction and thickness reduction to the plywood as well.

Motors are still planned to be some form of geared speed400's and most likely A123's for batteries as I'm really liking those in my 4*40.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 04:04 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
924 Posts
Yep, they are the ones I have, I actually bought mine from tower. Have a close look at them & you will realise how simple it is to convert them from the servo on one side to the other. This may make fitting your main gear easier as it keeps the pushrod away from the wheel. - John.
Boomerang1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomerang1
Old Sep 24, 2007, 08:40 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
I got a little more work done tonight. One of the dread jobs I've been putting off for a while which was the rudder pushrod that goes inside the stab. I hate all things involving soldering metal rods together. It only looks half ugly and the joint looks good so hopefully it will do. This is one of those planes where all the linkages for the rudder and elevator get buried during construction.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 12:05 AM
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
I got some more done on it this weekend. Got the rudder control linkage into the horizontal stab. The motion is not real frictionless. Not as much as I would like but there just didn't seem to be a lot of room in there to allow everything to not drag on the sheeting.

I made the elevator control horn/u joiner out of 2 aileron control horns from a set of dubro strip aileron control. I cut one side short and soldered it to the other so that the pushrod connector could still slide down onto it.

Mounted the pushrod tubes for the elevator and rudder into the fuse and then mounted the stab to the fuse. My least favorite part of any plane is now finished. The elevator and rudder pushrods and controls.

I'm at this point not horribly happy with the fuselage. It hasn't gone together horribly straight. Some form of jig would have really helped. I think after sheeting some filling the few spots it's twisted will be not so obvious. Mainly the nose first former is pretty bad but I think with a little sanding of the formers and sheeting it will not be noticable when finished. The rear of the fuselage is mostly okay. I can mount the wing relative to the stab after the fuse is sheeted.
Old Oct 03, 2007, 08:20 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
Linkages, linkages and more linkages. Tonight I got the servo end of things hooked up for the rudder and elevator to make sure they go smoothly before the tail end of the links is burried under in the sheeting. Did I mention before I really hate control linkages? Atleast they are finished now until the wing retract time arrives. I hooked up the rudder and nose gear and routed the pushrods without ever really thinking about the fact that I need them both to turn the plane the same direction. Luckily for once Murphy must have been out busy or he's just letting me have that as a freebie while wrecking me for my midterm tomorrow I should be studying for instead of working on this thing.