HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2007, 07:15 PM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Dec 2002
2,352 Posts
Discussion
concept models 1/6th scale fleet bipe

Hey now,
I just came into one of these kits, been wanting one for several years now.
Looks very well thought out so far. I'm planning on potentiialy over powering it with an E-Flite power 46, 4sLiPos and APC 14-10 prop.
Any traps, tricks, or troubles I should know about before digging in?
Also where can I find the nifty dummy cylinders for this kit?
RobII
elfwreck is offline Find More Posts by elfwreck
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2007, 12:30 AM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfwreck
Hey now,
I just came into one of these kits, been wanting one for several years now.
Looks very well thought out so far. I'm planning on potentiialy over powering it with an E-Flite power 46, 4sLiPos and APC 14-10 prop.
Any traps, tricks, or troubles I should know about before digging in?
Also where can I find the nifty dummy cylinders for this kit?
RobII

I have one of these I built about three years ago.

The E-Flite 46 will be 'well overpowered' for this airframe, as it builds out pretty light with its stick construction. Either the E-Flite 32 or AXI 2826 would probably be just right. I powered mine with a Mega 22/30/3 on a 3:1 ratio belt drive and 4S2P LiPo. Mine probably weighs no more than 5 or 5-1/4 lb. AUW.

I'd scale back on the prop to maybe a 14-7 or 13-8. You definitely won't need all that power or speed or you'll blow the wings off. 400-450w at the prop should fly her just fine with power to spare.

This bird is an antique (so is the model), and is meant to fly slow and graceful. With the Power 46 you'll likely never need more than half throttle. Remember this plane was originally designed around a big, heavy Astro brushed motor and lots of round cells. The weight loss going from old school drive components to new is significant.

The only real negatives I remember having concerning the kit were the somewhat rough hand cutting of some of the wing ribs and riblets. I think I had to replace some of the 1/4" square stock too. Some pieces were so soft they weren't good for anything. The rest of the kit is well thought out and goes together with few surprises. I also bought a fiberglass cowl from Fiberglass Specialties to use in place of the supplied one, which was cracked in my kit (old kit bought from Ebay).

As for dummy cylinders, I used 5 Williams Brothers Pratt & Whitney cylinders in 1/6 scale. WB is back in production, so these shouldn't be hard to get. I made a sort of jig from balsa (a 5 sided box) to get the spacing and diameter right on the cylinders, and mounted the whole thing in the cowl. Then I epoxied the cylinders in place from the inside, and removed the balsa jig. This was probably the most time consuming part of the whole build. It is worth it to get the dummy engine right, as it sets off the looks of the whole plane.

I hope you like building, as this is an old school kit--no interlocking pieces to cheat with--pure conventional stick construction. Wings have the scale number of ribs and short ribs, and are a bit tedious to build. IIRC I had a little trouble with the fit of the lower wing to the fuselage around the spar area, so take extra care there. If you want to go with scale rigging, it's best to plan and install the hard points before you cover.

Good luck with your Fleet. I have a Fleet logo image like it appears on the vertical fin I can send you if you want to make decals.

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Last edited by ElectRick; Apr 03, 2007 at 11:03 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 01:21 PM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Dec 2002
2,352 Posts
Hey now,
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to find less motor for this plane, don't want to rip the wings off
Also thanks for the bit on the cowl, it'll save me molding a new one as mine is pretty well shot too.
I don't mind building a bit, this model doesn't look any harder than building a Lazy Bee kit, almost a giant scale gumbander, kinda nice really after all those jig saw puzzle laser cut kits. On mine all the ribs and riblets look very clean and the wood looks to be light and strong, luck of the draw I guess.
Now I just need to clear my big building board, this wing is long...
RobII
elfwreck is offline Find More Posts by elfwreck