Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 26, 2007, 02:45 PM
Joined Apr 2004
34 Posts
Discussion
Cox Micro Warbird RTF - F4U Corsair

Has anyone tried to fly this plane? I ordered mine from Cox a week or so ago. At $90 for a complete 3-channel set-up it's looks like a bargain. If you price out the receiver/batt./servos/etc. you'll find you can't beat the price.

It comes 99% assembled, you just snap on the wing. Instructions include checking CG and rudder/elev. throws. They even include some clay and a spare prop.

When I flew it I was pleased to see it had enough power to climb and seemed like it would be easy to control...... EXCEPT IT ONLY TURNED LEFT! Full right rudder could almost make it go straight. In subsequent flights/crashes I did have a moment when gliding with power off when it appeared to respond normally to controls. But by then I was out of props.

I can only imagine the motor was installed crooked, or they substituted a higher torque motor somewhere in production without testing it. Anybody else have any ideas? Or experience with this little plane?

I sent old-fashioned snail mail to Cox with photos of the motor mounting, but I don't have much expectation of a clear answer from them. The foam fuselage is so sealed up that breaking in to look at how the motor is fixed will be serious surgery.

Too bad. I had such high hopes. And the plane really looks great. :-(
chall is offline Find More Posts by chall
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2007, 03:30 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Dec 2004
466 Posts
chall,

It is all covered in this thread, have fun!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=438256

Dave
curiousD is offline Find More Posts by curiousD
Old Mar 28, 2007, 10:54 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Adjust the rudder....is the short answer.

chall...I will save you a lot of time..Your rudder needs to be adjusted. They come from the factory with very little throw and sometimes slightly out of adjustment. The planes comes with down and right thrust built in.
I have the RTF P47 and on its first flight it had trouble making left turns. So I checked it out and made a minor adjustment which included moving down 1 hole in the control horn for the rudder. Problem solved. And as far as being directed to the main cwb thread, They don't talk about the RTF version there much. These guys build there own from $20.00 kits.
I have a P40 cwb kit that I assembled also. I modded that one so it could ROG and caught it on video.
I fly mine and they get beat up.....Thats the beauty of the $20.00 airframe with motor kits....
here is the one and only video of a cwb doing a ROG.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656579

rob
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Last edited by modfly; Apr 04, 2007 at 01:32 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2007, 06:56 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Copious amounts of right rudder required

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall
Has anyone tried to fly this plane? I ordered mine from Cox a week or so ago. At $90 for a complete 3-channel set-up it's looks like a bargain. If you price out the receiver/batt./servos/etc. you'll find you can't beat the price.

It comes 99% assembled, you just snap on the wing. Instructions include checking CG and rudder/elev. throws. They even include some clay and a spare prop.

When I flew it I was pleased to see it had enough power to climb and seemed like it would be easy to control...... EXCEPT IT ONLY TURNED LEFT! Full right rudder could almost make it go straight. In subsequent flights/crashes I did have a moment when gliding with power off when it appeared to respond normally to controls. But by then I was out of props.

I can only imagine the motor was installed crooked, or they substituted a higher torque motor somewhere in production without testing it. Anybody else have any ideas? Or experience with this little plane?

I sent old-fashioned snail mail to Cox with photos of the motor mounting, but I don't have much expectation of a clear answer from them. The foam fuselage is so sealed up that breaking in to look at how the motor is fixed will be serious surgery.

Too bad. I had such high hopes. And the plane really looks great. :-(
Just hold the plane in your hand and open the throttle and you'll feel the torque of these planes. My RTF P-47 required about 15 degrees of right rudder for a smart hand launch. I adjusted my throws to have more control than recommended so I would be able to turn right in a steep climb. My trim tab is full left with the rudder in trail and a few clicks from the right stop for take off. My hearing ain't what it was so the best way for me to tell the LV cut off has occured is the plane turns sharp right. I move the trim tab full left for a straight glide down. Watch some old WWII footage of Corsairs launching from a carrier deck and note the amount of right rudder required. It looks as if half of the available rudder is used at this time. The planes fly great right out of the box if you can deal with the lack of right rudder. Another thing that contributes is the tapered rudder. Try flying a plane with a flat rudder. Very touchy and requires much less throw. BTW, the faster you can launch your bird the better off you will be as far as needing right rudder. More smmoth air over the control surfaces really helps. Good luck and in my experiance Cox has been very good to their customers
56S is offline Find More Posts by 56S
Old Apr 02, 2007, 07:03 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,655 Posts
Sounds like it needs more right motor offset. I suppose this is major surgery.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Apr 02, 2007, 11:14 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
No BGR. The right offset is built in It is a matter of launch technique. The post above (N2856S) sums it up. Leaning curve with these planes. They fly or die depending on the launch. I personally prefer a ROG launch with these planes. However the corsair is a little more difficult than others in launch. Some people have enlarged the rudder with some success.
rob

*UPDATE*..I stand corrected BGR...You were rite on! In this case, the right thrust was not there...

Without seeing a picture, hard to determine problem.
Last edited by modfly; Apr 04, 2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2007, 08:39 AM
Joined Apr 2004
34 Posts
I've got an update to my original posting. Cox CALLED me on the phone yesterday to say they were sending me a new plane. Can you beat that? They noticed in the photos I sent them that my motor had left+down angle, not right+down angle. Since a new plane is in the mail I did some surgery on my old one and opened up the right-side of the engine compartment. I think the person who assembled it just used too much goop to attach the motor. When I carved the motor loose and scraped away all the glue I laid it back in place and the angle is completely different. I'll reglue it when my new plane arrives and I have can copy it's motor angle.

Thanks for all the replies to my post. It looks like Cox is having teething troubles with their RTF's, but you can't beat their customer support!
chall is offline Find More Posts by chall
Old Apr 04, 2007, 11:59 AM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
chall....I would have never guessed that the installation of the motor was the problem, yea, left thrust not good. ....unless I had seen it with my own eyes...or a good picture.
I'm glad your getting resolution to your problem.
Last edited by modfly; Apr 04, 2007 at 12:55 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2007, 12:16 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
chall....I just had a similar exprerence....http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664644
Last edited by modfly; Apr 04, 2007 at 01:45 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2007, 09:20 PM
Joined Oct 2004
145 Posts
One More Thing

I would add one more caution. Check the plane for side to side balance. I did not, and the plane lasted about five seconds. Up and then hard into the ground. When I pieced it back together, it was wildly heavier on one side. By then, however, the damage was so great that it could not take any further hard landings. I also have to say that I really dislike the TX with the little trhottle switch on the back, which seems unnatural to say the least. From now on, I will stick to ARFs, where I have control over every step of the build.
ssling is offline Find More Posts by ssling
Old Apr 04, 2007, 10:09 PM
Im stupider than you!
Pekin Illinois
Joined Aug 2006
1,722 Posts
me sceptable,sounds more like a thrust angle or rudder misalignment.What would cause it to be so far out lateraly ya think? Too much glue?
rhondaward is offline Find More Posts by rhondaward
Old Apr 05, 2007, 12:31 AM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssling
I would add one more caution. Check the plane for side to side balance. I did not, and the plane lasted about five seconds. Up and then hard into the ground. When I pieced it back together, it was wildly heavier on one side. By then, however, the damage was so great that it could not take any further hard landings. I also have to say that I really dislike the TX with the little trhottle switch on the back, which seems unnatural to say the least. From now on, I will stick to ARFs, where I have control over every step of the build.
There is something good about putting your own plane together. You definitely know what you have and can trust that it is well balanced.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Apr 05, 2007, 08:54 AM
newbie and proud of it
Frederick County MD
Joined Feb 2007
316 Posts
These planes are awesome and are Futba compatable so you can use one radio for them. Easy build as well
goldenboymd is offline Find More Posts by goldenboymd