HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2007, 02:12 PM
GWJ
Joined Aug 2003
72 Posts
Discussion
Bohoma Soldering Fixture

I just designed a soldering fixture for BSD to use with Plantraco's bohoma experimenters kit. Makes soldering up the Full River 90ma batteries a breeze.
GWJ is offline Find More Posts by GWJ
Last edited by GWJ; Mar 26, 2007 at 03:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2007, 04:12 PM
Joined Oct 2006
192 Posts
how does it work?
lightflight is offline Find More Posts by lightflight
Old Mar 26, 2007, 04:15 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,409 Posts
Gary,
Very nice. I'll have to make one of those. I've been wanting to make up some high discharge Bahoma packs from Full River cells for a while, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. A fixture like this will certainly make it easier.

BTW, my boys and I were designing up and laser cutting a catapult for a school project Friday night. I'll have to email you for some pointers. Ours used the classic twisted string method and has laser cut pieces that allow for twisting more tension into the string and then locking that down. Now whether it will fling a marshmellow further than than anyone else's remains to be seen.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Mar 26, 2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 07:04 PM
Joined Mar 2006
895 Posts
excellent, but you need to fill the gaps between around the magnets with epoxy or ca because they will slowly eventually collect debris
mr badwrench is offline Find More Posts by mr badwrench
Old Mar 26, 2007, 08:02 PM
1 paycheck away from homeless
United States, KS
Joined Mar 2006
4,574 Posts
Perfect! When's it going to be out Gary?

Steve
ghostmechanic is offline Find More Posts by ghostmechanic
Old Mar 26, 2007, 09:02 PM
GWJ
Joined Aug 2003
72 Posts
Lightflight it is kind of hard to explain just how the fixture works without some assembly pictures which we will do this week. Basically the fixture holds everything - magnets, circuit board and battery in the right postiton to be soldered.

Gordon, If you need to see how I made it let me know and I will send you some pictures. BTW the fixture is made up in layers of different thickness of plywood.
Ditto on the catapult.

mr badwernch, the black circles around round the magnets are from the laser. It really would not help much trying to coat the magnets with anything because the slots and magnets may have to be cleaned out over time anyway.

ghostmechanic, they should be ready in a few weeks.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 10:15 PM
is it flying time?
Wyandotte Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
2,777 Posts
Gary,

Any plans to do one for 5mm spacing?

Jerry
Jerry Combs is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Combs
Old Mar 26, 2007, 11:09 PM
Realtired User
San Jose, California
Joined Oct 2004
870 Posts
This looks quite handy.

I've been using TIX low temp solder and TIX flux for soldering the magnets. After a while, my wooden jigs start to degrade due to the flux (which soaks into the wood). Maybe some treatment to seal the wood in the vicinity of the magnet holes would be a good idea?

Mark
mharms is offline Find More Posts by mharms
Old Mar 27, 2007, 06:58 AM
GWJ
Joined Aug 2003
72 Posts
Jerry - Maybe.

mharms - One could coat the wood with CA to prevent the wood from soaking up the flux. I use a paste flux and very very little of it. I also use a tooth pick to spread a very thin coat of flux on the magnets and curcit board and there seems to not be any excess flux flow to the wood. I might add that the magnets you see in the picture of the fixture are larger than the magnets that you are soldering to. These magnets also act as a heat sink for the smaller magnets.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 07:52 AM
muc
Joined Jun 2004
49 Posts
Very handy fixture...I'll be getting one for sure. I would love to see an option for 5mm too.

Mark
muc is offline Find More Posts by muc
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:48 AM
GWJ
Joined Aug 2003
72 Posts
Ok - For those who asked. Magnets to be soldered are shown in place in the fixture.
Last edited by GWJ; Mar 27, 2007 at 11:01 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 12:37 PM
Saskatoon, Canada
Joined Jan 2003
2,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWJ
I just designed a soldering fixture for BSD to use with Plantraco's bohoma experimenters kit. Makes soldering up the Full River 90ma batteries a breeze.

Good work - having a jig makes soldering up bahoma cells much easier!

Always easier to do when you have the right tools

BTW - Spelling for Bahoma comes from BAttery HOlder using MAgnets. BAHOMA.

If you can, please change it to the correct spelling so as to avoid perpetuating the incorrect spelling.

FYI - Bahoma was developed by Didel and Plantraco in partnership, sharing the rights at the time. Didel had the magnetic innovation, and Plantraco put the safety, form factor, and manufacturability on it.

Good Stuff!
Plantraco is offline Find More Posts by Plantraco
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 27, 2007, 01:11 PM
GWJ
Joined Aug 2003
72 Posts
Excuse me for the misspell of "BAHOMA". I wouldn't want to perpetuate an incorrect spelling of the word. Heaven forbid someone else might start spelling it wrong because of me.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 02:02 PM
Saskatoon, Canada
Joined Jan 2003
2,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWJ
Excuse me for the misspell of "BAHOMA". I wouldn't want to perpetuate an incorrect spelling of the word. Heaven forbid someone else might start spelling it wrong because of me.
It's nothing - more important is your effort to make it easier for you guys to repair and assemble your own bahoma connectors. Love to see that! It really adds to the Bahoma system when it can be made easier for everyone to work on.

Now if you can just make a jig to make soldering hingeact magnet wires easier for mere mortals to do.
Plantraco is offline Find More Posts by Plantraco
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 27, 2007, 03:46 PM
GWJ
Joined Aug 2003
72 Posts
No problem. All it takes is some chewing gum to hold everything down and in place, a nano size soldering iron and an electron microscope and anyone can do it.

PS - It might be interesting project.