HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2007, 09:28 PM
San Diego
Joined Apr 2003
4,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoon
I reserved 2 campsites at Pioneer Point in Lake Isabella for the weekend of 8-17 to 8-19. There are 12 spots open for those that are interested. So far we have: Justin, Ben, Socal, Bill L, and Spencer. Let me know if others are interested.
I will have family in tow, we will be staying at a b&b

B
Bill L is offline Find More Posts by Bill L
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2007, 10:56 PM
Just Fly it
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jul 2006
2,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000MPH
I'll be up there 8/14 to 8/16. Probably gonna hit up Cook's peak and Weldon. How's the LZ up at Cook's Peak?
stu
Hi Stu
The landing at Cook is good if can either bring it in below the boundary layer or have flaps for a controled front side landing. There are three sites. The toughest is at the saddle where the road crossed over from east side to west side and on to the AT&T phone towers. There is the last turn of the road at the top of the switchbacks where three cars can park at the corner. Hike 100ft and fly SW winds, and DS around a small tree, or hike 200ft to the right (north) of the tree and find a huge front side with nice grass, one tree in the way, but off to the south side where there is plenty of back to DS with. You would be dsing above the road on its straight stretch to the saddle. WSW would be the best on wind. The saddle is best for West winds, and if the winds are off angle it can be ROUGH!

PS the weekend of 8-17 should bring on a number of flyers, if you could delay the few days to coincide?

PSS If you dont mind hiking you might try Hooper Mt by hiking up the trail from the top of the Caliente - Bodfish highway. And if you really like hiking go up Onyx Mt. Check my posting on this.
Indubitably is offline Find More Posts by Indubitably
Old Aug 03, 2007, 01:44 AM
"just one more pass"
Bakersfield, Ca.
Joined Sep 2005
824 Posts
Got to go up to Weldon with John after work today. He said he'd post some pix later. Man, was it smooth. Not strong winds and never broke 200mph but we had a ton of fun for about an hour before it got dark. John mostly flew his Extreme 80 and passed the radio off to me for a spin too. What a joy to fly. His top speed was 189 or something. I got around 180. Tim's JW and Weasel also flew, and I got my F3F Nyx out for a few laps. Topped out at 156. Winds too light for the heavy, and repaired Blast or it would have flown too.
Marlan
marfish is offline Find More Posts by marfish
Old Aug 03, 2007, 02:36 AM
Just Fly it
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jul 2006
2,028 Posts
Today

I was hoping to meet some other flyers tonight at the Lake, but plans changed. Marlan, Tim and i flew light but smooth winds. Tim Ferrell has been flying helicopters and is known as Tablesawtim. The winds were light enough for his Weasel. He also inherited a JW from Maurice Podder who says hes going into 3D flying. Tim didnt go for speed but was working on landing approaches, and hopes to DS before the summer ends. One hundred eighty nine mph was the high for the evening but it was smoooth and very constant.
Last edited by Indubitably; Aug 03, 2007 at 10:15 AM.
Old Aug 04, 2007, 11:18 PM
Just Fly it
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jul 2006
2,028 Posts
Good Winds

The wind predictions for Weldon tomorrow are 27mph. Should be 30-40 at the top. Call me or pm me with your number and ill give you directions.
John

Sorry downgraded to 17mph. Probably 30mph to be expected at the top. Tomorrow inherited todays good wind.
Todays winds should be very smooth. 200+ mph is average day here. All summer. Straight out of the west today.

Edited this evening.
The winds were some what variable, but good for most of the afternoon.
Keith Seidenstricker got a PB with an 80 inch Extreme at 179mph, also 151 with a 2m Blade and a 159 with his Opus. The fastest speed of the day was 225 on a 2m Extreme.
Last edited by Indubitably; Aug 06, 2007 at 12:32 AM.
Old Aug 06, 2007, 02:11 AM
"just one more pass"
Bakersfield, Ca.
Joined Sep 2005
824 Posts
Congrats, Keith.
Wow, you're really moving up the speed chart!
marfish is offline Find More Posts by marfish
Old Aug 12, 2007, 11:33 PM
Just Fly it
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jul 2006
2,028 Posts
Aug 17 weekend

If you had watched the wind predictions for Weldon, or Lake Isabella for Friday, or Today, you might have been disapointed. But if you had ventured out either day, you would have had winds between 25-30mph. I was by myself Friday, so dont ask how fast i was going. Today seemed slower in terms of perception of speed, but two planes went over 200mph. So even with a slow wind prediction it can be acceptably good. Im hoping for some great winds this next weekend. I have taken all day off Friday, and will also fly Sunday.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 11:48 PM
301MPH!
San Diego, California, United States
Joined Jan 2001
655 Posts
If the wind is good for Friday I will come up for the day!
Doug
speedster is offline Find More Posts by speedster
Old Aug 14, 2007, 06:01 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,560 Posts
Good winds today at the Lake. Up on Cook Peak it was 30-40mph. Too much for the Pred Bee I brought up there. Going to check out Weldon later on this evening.
stu
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2007, 11:26 PM
Just Fly it
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jul 2006
2,028 Posts
Predator Bee

Stu Chaldecott from Reno came down this week to fly Lake Isabella. His brother lives in town, so possibly there was a second reason to come down. His planes are very well crafted with hidden servos and really good covering detail. He flew very well with three planes. The Bee went 102, he had a smaller foamy that went 96, and he flew the JW to i believe 104. Wind was smooth and only for short times turbulent.
Ill add pics later
Last edited by Indubitably; Aug 16, 2007 at 03:15 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 02:15 AM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,560 Posts
I had a great time today. Thanks John. Who'd a thunk that a $19 Wild Wing would be pushing 100?
John's a great flier, very smooth and consistant.

I recommend the Kern River Brewing Co. if you're looking for some refreshments after a day on the hill. Got a great IPA and good burgers, etc.
stu
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2007, 08:05 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jul 2004
1,375 Posts
Some OT at work on Saturday but who is still going to Isabella?
Tehachapi Jim is offline Find More Posts by Tehachapi Jim
Old Aug 17, 2007, 08:19 PM
Circle Jockey
A Sasquatch took my plane! Tujunga. Ca.
Joined May 2004
2,412 Posts
There's already a group up there for the weekend including:
Gary Legerton
Jason Lilly
Bill Lorenz
Ben Diaz
Justin Moon

Buxton said he planned to try to fly Friday and Sunday
D.S. is offline Find More Posts by D.S.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 06:02 AM
RC LIFER
santa rosa California
Joined Aug 2005
2,001 Posts
I know it's short notice, but I'm heading to Weldon in a few minutes to fly Saturday, and if anyone needs any planes transported to the SF Bay Area from the Socal area, I would be happy to take anything back up north with me when I go home.

I'll be at Weldon Saturday all afternoon, and possibly Sunday also, but Sat for sure.

Just throwing this out there.
Mike the Snake is online now Find More Posts by Mike the Snake
Old Aug 18, 2007, 10:52 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jul 2004
1,375 Posts
Dean, how come your not going? Just saw your post, long night with the teens playing driver to concerter.
Tehachapi Jim is offline Find More Posts by Tehachapi Jim