HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2007, 03:15 PM
Just Fly it
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jul 2006
2,068 Posts
Anticipating Fast Flying

This Sunday is just starting to look good for Lake Isabella. 30mph predicted could mean 30-60mph at the hill top. If Ridge Crest, Bakersfield, and Mojave all line up as West wind, then look for PB busting winds on Sunday. Two pm is when the wind really turns. Watch the numbers every day up to the last minute as conditions can change. http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...uery=weldon+ca should be the best to track.

ED 7-7-07 The wind now is about 20mph, somewhat of a downgrade, but everywhere is from the West, so it should be 30-40 probable.
Indubitably is online now Find More Posts by Indubitably
Last edited by Indubitably; Jul 08, 2007 at 02:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2007, 03:22 PM
Just Fly it
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jul 2006
2,068 Posts
Kern County Aces fly again

Well there never was a "club" called the Aces of Kern County at least i never heard of them and i never paid dues. But we were almost all together, and from Kern County. Mike Allen has moved to the columbia R. Gorge area, and Nathan Towns was away for two weeks. Brian Chen-? he came up with an excuse, cant remember what it was, anyway he was missing. But Jim Weinberg, Marlan Muir, Keith Seidenstricker, Dave Conley, and I came to fly. Good winds, but changeable and some times tricky. We flew what we carried up the hill, but without a 4-wheel drive vehicle we had to carry less more distance. More than twice the distance. We stayed until it was too dark to see the trail down. It was fun.

Pictures will follow.

I lost my 80 inch Extreme in a very foolish way. Ive been flipped upside down coming out from the bottom when coming out flat, but rarely when i come out on a knife edge. Yesterday i was flipped upside down going in flat and far on the other side, probably too slow and late enough in the evening to have shadows and poor light. Just lollygagging in, too relaxed and inatentive. It flipped upside down, a small airplane at that distance, indistict shadowy, barely seeing the stripes on the wing bottom. A surrealistic experience. Not knowing which way it rotated, my moves were tentative and ineffective in fixing the situation. It crashed. Im not going to fix it. This one used to belong to Doug Rubin, and i had been using it exstensively to practice with. It flew every time i flew, and many people have enjoyed flying it. I hope to have a Blast soon to replace the one than Marlan inherited, and now has. and im working on a Rocketenwurm, and Opus. My Stratus is now my fastest plane but too special to call a practice or every day plane (at 129 inches).
Last edited by Indubitably; Jul 11, 2007 at 10:47 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2007, 04:43 PM
Dog is my co-pilot
USA, CA, Sausalito
Joined Apr 2006
221 Posts
Damm John,

Sorry to see the end off a great plane and that one served you well it seems.

Mark
longdollar is offline Find More Posts by longdollar
Old Jul 09, 2007, 07:40 PM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,230 Posts
Too bad abut your extreme John,,,I'll have your blast done in a few day's,,I would have had it done sooner but thing's have been nut's around here with the build's lately.
I havn't even built one of my MC-3's yet

nick
Jantar2A is online now Find More Posts by Jantar2A
Old Jul 09, 2007, 11:43 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jul 2004
1,596 Posts
Yesterday was a fun outing. I haven't been able to fly much lately, and this was just what the doctor ordered. I built my JW too light. I was really struggling with it and John said try mine. Man all of the sudden I was a DSer. It was like night and day. The bottom line for me was that it was just fun and very laid back. I got to hang out and fly with Keith again, and met Dave for the first time.

JIM
Tehachapi Jim is online now Find More Posts by Tehachapi Jim
Old Jul 18, 2007, 02:57 AM
Just Fly it
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jul 2006
2,068 Posts
Wind Alert

The next two days should produce winds 40-45mph. Most of us have to work. But just in case, there is a wind alert.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 12:48 PM
Joined Aug 2006
35 Posts
looks like we are heading out to the lake early Aug. for round 2.
jmoon is offline Find More Posts by jmoon
Old Jul 19, 2007, 09:37 PM
Just Fly it
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jul 2006
2,068 Posts
Aug 2 weekend

Ill call the weather man, and get the wind scheduled. Actually it is always good during these months. There may be a good group that weekend!
Old Jul 21, 2007, 02:03 AM
Just Fly it
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jul 2006
2,068 Posts
Great Flying Today

The winds were not spectacular but they were nice, and we all had a lot of fun. Ill be posting some more pictures tomorrow. Some of the pictures look like a fishing trip.
Speeds for the day were: Spencer 239 with his Opus, Jason 195 with a Stratos, Keith 148 with his Opus. My Stratos went 221. Spencer would have taken it faster, but kept his restraint at a kind 211.
Last edited by Indubitably; Jul 21, 2007 at 11:59 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 12:26 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jul 2004
1,596 Posts
Great pics John, looks like a fun outing.

JIM
Tehachapi Jim is online now Find More Posts by Tehachapi Jim
Old Jul 23, 2007, 01:01 AM
Circle Jockey
A Sasquatch took my plane! Tujunga. Ca.
Joined May 2004
2,412 Posts
I think Jason was wearing the wrong shirt. After the repair work he did on that Kinetic at Windmills a couple of weeks ago I think he should be wearing a shirt with this on it.

Dean

D.S. is offline Find More Posts by D.S.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 01:23 AM
Circle Jockey
A Sasquatch took my plane! Tujunga. Ca.
Joined May 2004
2,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indubitably
Can any one photo shop this ?
No problemo Juan

Dean
D.S. is offline Find More Posts by D.S.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 01:30 AM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,652 Posts
WT.F did i do?

lol

JOe
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill
Old Jul 23, 2007, 02:57 AM
Just Fly it
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jul 2006
2,068 Posts
Not what i had in mind, but. Maybe someone will do it for Spencer and just send it to him. You have the talent.

You should have been there Dean! and JOe! Whats with my shift keys?
Old Jul 23, 2007, 09:42 AM
RC LIFER
santa rosa California
Joined Aug 2005
2,010 Posts
Good numbers!

Weldon is really all that!

John, you are going really fast with that Stratos! Looks like the build and plane are working in concert.

I noticed a while back (you weren't looking, and I was fondling your Stratos wings LOL) you have powerful full size servos in the wings that stuck out quite a bit.

Does your Stratos make a lot of noise?
I ask, because I thought that taking little wedge shaped pieces of balsa in front of, and behind the servo, forming a more "aero" bulge might help, maybe a little cleaner? I did this on my Big Bird, still noisy, but maybe cleaner.

I also thought long and hard about tube modding long wings with flex. As discussed, super stiff surfaces and flexing wing might cause the corners of the surfaces to want to peel up and begin delamming.

My thoughts are, that tube modding the surfaces out to maybe 2" or 3" from the edges would allow the ends of the surfaces to flex with the wing a little?
Mike the Snake is offline Find More Posts by Mike the Snake