HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2007, 07:36 PM
Stanwood WA
Joined Jul 2003
362 Posts
Discussion
Buddy box problems need suggestions.

Ok I have a Focus 4 and a Eclipse 7 and a berg as a receiver.

I purchased a new buddy cord.

I use the normal method of removing the battery and crystal from the buddy box to avoid any problem.

I am trying to figure out what to send in.

When the buddy cord is pluged in the focus 4 wont work.

Plugged a 4 cell pack into the receiver and the rudder into the reciever. When using the Eclipse it works fine.
When I switch the trainer lever the eclipse no longer works but the focus will not move the servo?

The focus shows its powered up??

Any help on this??
Fishmasterdan is offline Find More Posts by Fishmasterdan
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2007, 08:02 PM
Stanwood WA
Joined Jul 2003
362 Posts
I did some continuity readings from the cable and they pins dont match up and a few are not used. Anyone have a schematic for the cable?? Its an offical hitec cable.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 08:06 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmasterdan
Ok I have a Focus 4 and a Eclipse 7 and a berg as a receiver. I purchased a new buddy cord.
I use the normal method of removing the battery and crystal from the buddy box to avoid any problem. I am trying to figure out what to send in.
When the buddy cord is pluged in the focus 4 wont work.
Plugged a 4 cell pack into the receiver and the rudder into the reciever. When using the Eclipse it works fine. When I switch the trainer lever the eclipse no longer works but the focus will not move the servo?
The focus shows its powered up?? Any help on this??
Does the Berg RX work normally with just the Focus TX? (in need fit Eclipse xtal into Focus for the test), check that the rudder EPA on Focus has not been turned to minimum position. Also test other channels - all inoperative or just the rudder?
NB: If the Berg is an IPD or PLL based receiver, then it cannot be used with a buddy box as those type of RX will only recognize the signal generated by the Master TX and cut off when the trainer switch is "on".
See also my recent post regarding
Hitec Trainer - Student - Buddy connections and use

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Last edited by A.T.; Mar 25, 2007 at 08:33 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 09:02 PM
Stanwood WA
Joined Jul 2003
362 Posts
Well I changed over to a GWS receiver to verify the berg lock on wasnt messing with me. Same results.

I would have to buy another crystal to try the focus because the eclipse has an "Rf module" I dont see a crystal.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 09:54 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,809 Posts
Quote:
Well I changed over to a GWS receiver to verify the berg lock on wasnt messing with me. Same results.

I would have to buy another crystal to try the focus because the eclipse has an "Rf module" I dont see a crystal.
If a standard RF module as shown HPF-M RF Module for Eclipse, Optic 6, & Prism 40mhz ( NO XTAL) then the crystal plugs into a slot close to the top of the left hand side when viewed from label side. Possibly a sticker over the hole for units sold in USA - center tuned, we simply slot in any crystal within same band and range check before use. If a Spectra RF Module then there is no removeable crystal
Alternatively, do you have a receiver crystal which corresponds to the frequency of your Focus?
NB: USA residents are not supposed to remove/replace TX xtals but your address shows "WA". If West Australia, then FCC ruling does not apply.
see also Previously reported problems with Berg RX with 7ch Master and 4 ch slave TX
Regards
Alan T.
Last edited by A.T.; Mar 25, 2007 at 10:09 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:14 PM
Stanwood WA
Joined Jul 2003
362 Posts
Thanks for the info.

The focus 4 works fine with the berg receiver. Every channel checks out.

Ok this narrows it down.

I cannot get the GWS receiver to work becuase it is the wrong shift but it works fine with the Eclipse.

I am goin to try and reverse the master and slave making the focus the master.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:20 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,809 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info.

The focus 4 works fine with the berg receiver. Every channel checks out.
Ok this narrows it down. I cannot get the GWS receiver to work becuase it is the wrong shift but it works fine with the Eclipse.I am goin to try and reverse the master and slave making the focus the master.
Definitive answer Castle Creations FAQ - 18. Can my Berg receiver be used with a buddy box? =
"Yes and no. Itís totally dependent on which method your master transmitter uses. It will work if the master only looks at the slave transmitterís stick movements. If the master allows the slave transmitter to do its own processing though, it will not work. To find out which of these pertains to you contact your transmitter manufacturer or simply test it out yourself."
(forget Berg RX for use with a Buddy Box)

Regards
Alan T.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:22 PM
Stanwood WA
Joined Jul 2003
362 Posts
I attempted to reverse the transmitters.

When I hit the trainer button I can see a red light coming on the berg receiver. That is the same red light the comes on if it sees no signal.

I am thinking it is the cable??

If I am understanding this, the master transmitter emits the signal and the slave just sends the stick inputs the the master or is the shift have something to do with it??

Edit;
Thanks again for the info and help. I did no see your post until after I posted.
I am going to buy a new receiver that is negative shift.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:35 PM
Stanwood WA
Joined Jul 2003
362 Posts
SUCCESS WHOO HOO;

It all boiled down to shift select.

I found an old Hitec shift selectable receiver and put it to negative shift.

AS STATED ABOVE DO NOT USE BERG RECEIVERS WITH A BUDDY BOX.

Shift must be the same with the slave and master.

A.T. thank you for your help.