SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 25, 2007, 05:21 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Question
Is this wing damage worth fixing?

I've got this bit of wing that came loose -- it's probably a bit less than 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch or so -- from my Super Cub, at the right tip. I'll try to post a picture later.

So, is that worth fixing, or will it not affect the performance? After all, it's just a trainer...

Personally, I don't think I should fix it, but I'm very much so often wrong.

But, if I should fix it (no, I don't have the piece), how should I do it? Just use some packaging foam and Gorilla Glue, and then sand it?

Thanks!
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2007, 07:25 PM
RC Addict
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jul 2006
2,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackles94
But, if I should fix it (no, I don't have the piece), how should I do it? Just use some packaging foam and Gorilla Glue, and then sand it?
Yeah, that would work. Although you may not notice the performance difference with a chunk that small, I think you should fix it, if for no other reason that looks better. Besides, it's good practice for fixes you will have to make later.
anatoly is online now Find More Posts by anatoly
Old Mar 25, 2007, 07:29 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Good point. I'm sure I'll have to learn to make fixes, since I'll be sure to have worse crashes.

Can I just use Gorilla Glue and build it up instead, or should I still use a piece of foam?

Thanks!
Old Mar 25, 2007, 07:52 PM
RC Addict
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jul 2006
2,259 Posts
I would use any glue sparingly; foam is going to be lighter. I haven't used Gorilla Glue but I know some folks in the scratch-built forum like it. I have used foam and a bit of hot glue for similar repairs, then covered the repair with clear packing tape to smooth out the wing surface. Although I have other glues now since I started scratch-building, I find hot glue to be most versatile for many kinds of repairs as long as you work fast.
anatoly is online now Find More Posts by anatoly
Old Mar 25, 2007, 08:23 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackles94
I've got this bit of wing that came loose -- it's probably a bit less than 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch or so -- from my Super Cub, at the right tip. I'll try to post a picture later.

So, is that worth fixing, or will it not affect the performance? After all, it's just a trainer...

Personally, I don't think I should fix it, but I'm very much so often wrong.

Thanks!
Depends on what it looks like. Some idiot crashed my Formosa into something and drove the leading edge of my left wing inwards about an inch. So it was like an inch wide, and an inch deep.

What I did was take packing tape and lay a piece about 2 inches wide on the top of the wing, then folded it over the edge and down under the wing. Guess what, the shape is perfect with the original wing! Even though there is nothing under the tape where the hole is, it conformed perfectly with the surface.

I've got to find the clown who keeps taking my planes out and screwing them up when I'm not looking...

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 25, 2007, 09:11 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Chuck,

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, it's right in the middle of the right edge, so it's not a straight break like the one you had on the leading edge. It kind of looks like a semicircle (I'll take a picture...).

Can I shape/mold Gorilla Glue by using packing tape and then removing it, or will it expand too much?

Thanks!
Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:55 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
always make repairs if possible. If repair is not possible, its time for a new model.

Note: repair is practically always possible if you are willing to make the effort. I had one model that before it was damaged badly enough in a single incident that it was finally written off, the only original parts of the airframe were the (carved balsa) wingtips.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Mar 26, 2007, 09:41 AM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Cool, I'll go and do the repairs then it shouldn't be too difficult, that's for sure.

What kind of foam is best? Just some leftover packing foam? The damage is smaller that a packing peanut...
Old Mar 26, 2007, 10:31 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,788 Posts
Packing foam works great. Cut it oversize then glue it in with hot glue. Carve it to shape. I use one of those small Olfa knives where the blade slides out of the handle about 2.5 ins. They are very sharp and cut foam like butter using a sawing action. You won't have to sand it as these knives cut very clean. You won't be able to tell where it's damaged and i'll never tell. Just got through putting two pieces back into the leading edge of the Reno Racer where I got hit with a prop strike doing combat yesterday.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Mar 26, 2007, 10:43 AM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,650 Posts
For a break that small, I would use packing tape as Chuck suggested. Since you have a curved surface, use several strips about 1/2" wide. Start with the leading edge of the break and place one piece so that half of the tape is on the foam of the wing and the other half extends over the break. Do the same thing at the trailing edge. A third piece should now be able to span the other pieces. You won't have a perfectly round contour, but it will suffice and is much easier than building it up with foam.
Leo L is online now Find More Posts by Leo L